U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-24-2011, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
13,938 posts, read 9,718,447 times
Reputation: 2411

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
Yes .. that was a mistake & I have already admit it ...

The error was in the word "centimeter" but the idea is/was true .
So tell us how near or far the Sun can be from the Earth before we fry or freeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2011, 08:40 AM
 
570 posts, read 620,162 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facepalm17 View Post
The process is not random or accidental. As I said, read about a subject before commenting on it to avoid looking foolish.
.... & you said that I am the one who need to learn about it !!!
My friend, the theory of evolution began with not only one coincidences but a series of accidents and coincidences ...
Are you denying that ?

Last edited by squall-lionheart; 10-24-2011 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 08:58 AM
 
570 posts, read 620,162 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
So tell us how near or far the Sun can be from the Earth before we fry or freeze.
I will tell you something better ...
"Climate change and global warming" ...
Do you think by any chance it has anything to do with the distance between Sun & Earth ?
I am sure my question contains the answer to your clever question ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,103,487 times
Reputation: 3719
Wink Yup! How true!

As I pointed out in my last too-long post, all these clear posts make the point;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post

Reading before commenting is not one of his skills given this is the user who has a "knowledge" of science so deep that he claims on these forums that

"if the earth was moved a centemetre closer to, or further from, the sun then everything would burn up / freeze."

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflmn
[typical Xtian website misrep, quoted often by the Sci-Ill* and IDTrs", which this one is a Charter Member in good standing!]
The user likes to post on science threads and claim to know what science is false and what is true. However he literally has no knowledge of any of the subjects on which he speaks.

He simply makes up whatever science he can to make the existence of his god sound more likely. It seems those with no evidence for god are often willing to outright lie in order to make some up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Squall-L is obviously working from the assumption that everything is too ordered and perfect to be anything other than planned by an intelligence.

Even that would not avoid the argument that, given time, unplanned natural processes (called 'random or chance') could come to work in perfect order because anything else would simply not work.

Let's try to get the idea over one more time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflmn
[Nahhh... let's forget it, AREQUIPA: this one's lost in space, time and Christian mudrucking! Not to mention his prevaricatious trolling!]
While the ecosphere, galaxy and universe are obviously huge, that is merely these (1) (2) and (3) processes in huge amounts. Bigness and complexity are not the point.

Ω Arguing that it is all perfect and ordered and works like a mechanical device is a misapprehension and misunderstanding of what the world, life and universe is and the forces that work it.

Ω Thus all 'Watchmaker' arguments are false from the get - go because the representation of it all as a perfectly made precision machine is a misunderstanding of what we have.

... it's a waste of time putting the watchmaker argument to us because we know it's wrong at the start.

It's not a waste of time putting in the counter - argument, though, since not to do so might leave the unwary open to being bamboozled.
But still... I am now convinced that our patient, relentlessly logical point-form arguments DO get through to the few, the inquisitive, the brave and the open-minded.

Our man sq here DOES provide the perfect foil in his equally relentlessly silly and specious arguments, arguments that might well initially make stupid sense to someone who has read and bought into the Christian websites without examining the ideas at all.

.................................................. ............

Well, at least we easily put an end to that nonsense, quick-like!

Unless one is hopelessly mired in their blindered faith, or stubbornly cannot let go...

.................................................. ............

...we do at least plant the seeds of logical growth and skeptical thinking. So go for it, sq; you are the man, dude! You make it all so easy with your endless repetitious list of known-failed arguments!

_________________________

* Sci-Ill = Scientifically Illiterate. IDTrs = Intransigent Dogmo-Theists; unable to move beyond their Dogma, uninterested in ever learning anything new beyond it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
13,938 posts, read 9,718,447 times
Reputation: 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
I will tell you something better ...
"Climate change and global warming" ...
Do you think by any chance it has anything to do with the distance between Sun & Earth ?
No.

Now, tell us how near or far the Sun can be from the Earth before we fry or freeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,103,487 times
Reputation: 3719
Brrrr... I was feeling a bit tepid this morning. I suppose God is maybe levering the sun & earth further apart just to punish us sinners. Yah think?

(Gawd: it IS getting cold in here... I'd better pray! God, gimme heat, man!)

sq: I suppose the argument that the puddle fits that hole in the ground so perfectly is one of your favorites, huh?

You'd have us believe that God first made His puddle of water in exactly the right shape, and then He made a hole just right to hold it? And if the hole was just a little bit different in shape, the water wouldn't fit it.

Yikes! The reversed-logic thinking here is staggering!

You DO realize that, given some life-sustaining parameters (Hmmm... maybe I've already over-reached his vocabulary here, yes? Oh well, let's go on...), an organism that is capable, via it's very adaptable DNA molecule, of remembering and then producing many many alternate, trial-and-error life forms, each with some slight alteration of their ability to, let's say, exist in a watery swamp with ambient temps that do extend over even a 10 - 15˚C range, will proliferate.

The one or two versions that can and do utilize the available temo will do so. If such variability is not required, then it's simply a neutral mutation. But if it's lethal, and the organism does require a warmer or colder temp, then of course that version dies off. Simple, huh? And there's no conscious decision by that organism EVER required. Existing organisms (except man, who may well just pick u[ and move to Florida where it's warmer and the pretty girls don't wear as many clothes...) don't think about it and change their outward appearances or physiology. That is what evolution does on it's own, but only when the animals reproduce, which may not be fast enough, and the species can die off in a short time! This is subverted by such quick-change evo-artists like plague bacteria, which makes them so potentially dangerous if they are virulent (see: the current movie Contagion for a good story-line on this biological potential.).

Soon you'll have only those new species left that did work well at the available temp range. (or whatever changed life-parameter is out there...) But then along you come and marvel at how God made an organism just right to fit this swamp. All after the fact, you say. And then you'd say that if there was any difference in that temp, of an instant nature of course, (which hardly ever happens in the real world...), it'd all be death and destruction? Wow.

How technically unsophisticated of you! Think, man: THINK!

Last edited by rifleman; 10-24-2011 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 07:48 AM
 
570 posts, read 620,162 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius
No.
Scientists Discover The Sun Does Affect Earth's Climate | The Resilient Earth
Quote:
Now, tell us how near or far the Sun can be from the Earth before we fry or freeze.
Do you deny that the distance between Sun & Earth have a significant impact on our lives ?
"It appears to me that you are constantly in a state of denial "!!!

Last edited by squall-lionheart; 10-25-2011 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
13,938 posts, read 9,718,447 times
Reputation: 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
Scientists Discover The Sun Does Affect Earth's Climate | The Resilient Earth

Do you deny that the distance between Sun & Earth have a significant impact on our lives ?
"It appears to me that you are constantly in a state of denial "!!!
What does this have to do with how far or near to the Sun we can be before we fry or freeze? Originally, you claimed that if we were a centimetre further away we would freeze. You now admit that you were wrong so, giving us the benefit of your vast scientific knowledge, how near or far can we be from the Sun before life is destroyed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 08:23 AM
 
570 posts, read 620,162 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
What does this have to do with how far or near to the Sun we can be before we fry or freeze? Originally, you claimed that if we were a centimetre further away we would freeze. You now admit that you were wrong so, giving us the benefit of your vast scientific knowledge, how near or far can we be from the Sun before life is destroyed?
No body knows the exact distance but I am sure if it becomes farther than 94,400,000 miles the temperature would be colder & If it becomes closer than 91,400,000 miles the temperature would be hutter...
Most importantly of all is that the distance is always suitable for life to continue on Earth & nothing left to futility, coincidence or accident .

Last edited by squall-lionheart; 10-25-2011 at 09:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,047 posts, read 30,813,878 times
Reputation: 12226
How about returning to the topic of evolution?

Did you know that the same gene (BMP4) that is used to modify a Galapagos finches beak is also used to modify a chichlid fishes jaws? Two very different creatures half a world away from each other...Coincidence?

Did you know that the FOXP2 gene is what makes both human speech and bird's songs meaningful? Without it neither we nor birds could communicate...Coincidence?

Did you know that humans have about the same number of genes as a mouse? Not only that, but most are identical, but are used in different ways....Coincidence?
Did you know that the same genes that grow the neck of a mouse are identical to those that grow the neck of a giraffe? The genes in the giraffe are simply switched on for a longer period of time.

Genes are like words in a book...We do not need to invent new word to write different book....We just change the order of the words and the way they are used.

Do you understand how sexual selection plays a part in evolution? The peacock with the largest and finest display is the one who gets the hens. The peacock's display (tail) tells the female that he is the healthiest, as the tail is an exhausting thing to grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top