U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-22-2011, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
1,298 posts, read 1,852,137 times
Reputation: 1583

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
This thread will be de-railed even more than it already is if we get into the evidence for human evolution. It's out there and if you start a thread I bet rifelman and many others will be more than happy to provide this info. My question for you is, are you really willing to examine the evidence without bias?
I ask for proof for a reason. I can examine anything without bias. I make up my my mind based on what I can see and read for myself, not what others tell me to think or do, say, etc...thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2011, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
1,298 posts, read 1,852,137 times
Reputation: 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Why don't you take it on faith, like you do for everything else? Oh wait, that's right. When I make a statement of fact you want actual facts to back it up. But when you make a statement and call it "fact", you ignore or brush off anyone who dares ask for proof. Hypocrisy, anyone?

Please don't generalize me. I've never spoken with you on ANY subject much less this, I ask for proof and if you can't give it without name calling and genralizing, then please take your seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
1,298 posts, read 1,852,137 times
Reputation: 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Here you are sir, educate yourself.

We're ALL Black According to Geneticists!

Thank you. I will read this persons opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Western NC
651 posts, read 1,246,044 times
Reputation: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
I ask for proof for a reason. I can examine anything without bias. I make up my my mind based on what I can see and read for myself, not what others tell me to think or do, say, etc...thank you.
I'm glad to hear you say that you are willing to look at the evidence without bias. The reason I asked is that we get these questions a lot, usually from creationists, and the overwhelming majority are unable to examine the evidence without filtering it through their pre-conceived religious ideas. They often view evolution as a threat to their faith and just can't seem to get past those fears. I was one of those people at a certain point in my life. It would be refreshing to talk with a theist with a different outlook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
1,298 posts, read 1,852,137 times
Reputation: 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
I'm glad to hear you say that you are willing to look at the evidence without bias. The reason I asked is that we get these questions a lot, usually from creationists, and the overwhelming majority are unable to examine the evidence without filtering it through their pre-conceived religious ideas. They often view evolution as a threat to their faith and just can't seem to get past those fears. I was one of those people at a certain point in my life. It would be refreshing to talk with a theist with a different outlook.
I do my best not to judge any one for their beliefs are their non-beliefs, whichever. I have my own thoughts, but, I like to know why others feel the way they do, therefore I ask for proof to make up my own mind on whatever the subject matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 04:06 PM
 
6,039 posts, read 9,219,724 times
Reputation: 3933
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Some atheist have pushed their civil rights philosophy to an extreme in a way that they do try to block religious freedom.
Example:
There are many examples in universities that if the subject of abortion is discussed and a christian says it is wrong, that student is sent to special classes because it was offensive. In other words atheists are now supressing freedom of speech when they hear something they do not like. Many of them suppress freedom of speech under the excuse that it is not rational to express such views even in a discussion forum like a classroom.

How about the little girl that at lunch time in her elementary school took her Bible to read and the teacher scorned her and took the Bible away from her?


.
Citations needed, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Western NC
651 posts, read 1,246,044 times
Reputation: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
I do my best not to judge any one for their beliefs are their non-beliefs, whichever. I have my own thoughts, but, I like to know why others feel the way they do, therefore I ask for proof to make up my own mind on whatever the subject matter.
I guess my next question is, do you want a discussion or are you looking for pointers to good information on the subject to read on your own? I'm asking as a discussion would probably be more worthwhile in another thread (believe me, we've had these types of threads go on for 100's of pages ). I will even be willing to start the thread but if you just want reading material, another thread probably isn't necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,073,181 times
Reputation: 3717
Default Some starter points then. OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Some atheist feel that they do not have to be respectful for the simple reason that believing in God is irrational. They do so even is someone simply makes a comment about God regardless if the individual is polite. You can be the nicest person in the world but if they see you as believeing in God, you are fair game and be called whatever they feel like with no respect for civility.
To me many of them are not honest enough to be clear why they are contemptous. They go about it in a rude and immature way by making personal and offensive attacks.
Your post was, overall, quite fair. In our defense, I will say that many atheists, myself included, have indeed become rather sarcastic because of the way our polite information is often treated when we honestly provide information as requested. Particularly when it is not even casually reviewed with an open mind. I know the general response is to not read it at all.

Why? Because if this mass of evidence is reviewed with that perspective, you cannot but come to some obvious conclusions.

You will agree that too many Christians simply do not want to hear the evidence that has accumulated in favor of Evolution, of ancient geology and, admittedly more speculatively, our universe's likely origins, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
I ask for proof for a reason. I can examine anything without bias. I make up my my mind based on what I can see and read for myself, not what others tell me to think or do, say, etc...thank you.
Honestly? Really? This would be a first, in my opinion, in the R&P forum @ City-Data. I'd be honored to participate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
I guess my next question is, do you want a discussion or are you looking for pointers to good information on the subject to read on your own? I'm asking as a discussion would probably be more worthwhile in another thread (believe me, we've had these types of threads go on for 100's of pages ). I will even be willing to start the thread but if you just want reading material, another thread probably isn't necessary.
I think a simple process might be to have a doubting Christian agree to honestly answer some simple questions, as to their true inner feelings about the validity of some facts, given the evidence presented. What I've seen, unfortunately, time and again, is that the typical Christian debater will find ANY excuse to avoid geting into such a logical debate. And the reason for that denial and evasion would likely be? You guys tell me. (I'm pretty sure I know why though. Prove me wrong.)

But still, if there is interest, by anyone here (let's say round4 for the sake of argument) then I'd be happy to take the time, although not to the level I've invested in the past, to start it off.

It should only take a few questions and answers in this manner to inject at least some reasonable curiosity in the mind of a devout Christian as to the veracity of the entire biblical stories and God in general as the source of all truth and Creation.
________________________________________

As to the simple question of evidence about our origins in Africa, let me say to you, round4: here's round 1 of a simple and polite question set:

R1: Do you believe in the general validity of fingerprint testing as a key identifier in human forensic science investigations? If so, technically speaking, why do you feel it's sufficiently capable of differentiating between the guilty party and an innocent one? What makes it so unique?

Or alternately, why do you NOT think it's valid and sufficiently unique a methodology?

(Trust me, you'll understand where I'm going with this in the next question or two. But... don't try to second-guess where I'm going here, else you respond just like every other Christian I've talked to about this.)

Respectfully.... your humble servant: rflmn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,423 posts, read 1,413,193 times
Reputation: 886
Why can't atheists allow people of faith to exercise that faith without ridicule? I find much to ridicule about atheism, but I refrain out of respect for someone's belief. I also find that atheists spend an inordinant amount of time on God. If you don't believe in God, don't. But have the common decency to live and let live, for goodness sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Western NC
651 posts, read 1,246,044 times
Reputation: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Why can't atheists allow people of faith to exercise that faith without ridicule? I find much to ridicule about atheism, but I refrain out of respect for someone's belief. I also find that atheists spend an inordinant amount of time on God. If you don't believe in God, don't. But have the common decency to live and let live, for goodness sake.
Oh, you jokester! Have you already forgotten your locked thread where you attempted to ridicule atheists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top