U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 12:10 PM

15,371 posts, read 25,579,836 times

Advertisements

Anyone know who this Tony Alamo character is? Someone dropped off flyers on all the cars in the area and for the most part it seems that lots of people have lied about this guy. He is supposed to be some big time Pastor of some church. My thought is that if 1 person accuses someone of something that is a he said she said kind of thing and it is easy to say maybe it didn't happen. When a dozen or so people accuse someone of something that is a differant thing alltogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 12:23 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,293,999 times
I live in the SoCal area. In the late '90s I saw graffiti on a rock face, adjacent to the Metrolink commuter rail route that I took each day. It read "Free Tony Alamo." So, if Tony has been in jail this whole time, he's got a lot of accumulated time served.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:49 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,512,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I live in the SoCal area. In the late '90s I saw graffiti on a rock face, adjacent to the Metrolink commuter rail route that I took each day. It read "Free Tony Alamo." So, if Tony has been in jail this whole time, he's got a lot of accumulated time served.
He was sentenced to 175 years, yes you read right one hundred seventy five.

Quote:
On July 24, 2009, Alamo was convicted on 10 counts of interstate transportation of minors for illegal sexual purposes, rape, sexual assault, and contributing to the delinquency of minors.
On November 13, 2009, he was sentenced to the maximum punishment of 175 years in prison.
SOURCE

Since he was 75 years old at the time he was sentenced, I doubt if he will serve the full sentence.

Quite an interesting guy. still has high popularity as an Evangelist, although his brand of religion is referred to as a cult.

Some interesting links about him both pro and con. for balance:

Tony Alamo Christian Ministries New Jerusalem

Tony Alamo News

Tony Alamo

Evangelist Tony Alamo Found Guilty of Taking Young Girls From State to State for Sex - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

The Tony Alamo Story.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:06 PM

30,037 posts, read 30,676,322 times
Tony Alamo is an American cult leader and convicted child sex offender. He and his late wife Susan were the founders of an organization known as Tony Alamo Christian Ministries. The organization is based in and around Fouke and Alma, Arkansas, In 2009, Alamo was convicted on 10 counts of interstate transportation of minors for illegal sexual purposes, rape, sexual assault, and contributing to the delinquency of minors.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:38 PM

15,371 posts, read 25,579,836 times
This guy must still have lots of followers and they don't mind driving into private parking structures and putting their flyers or newsletters on everyones cars. I didn't know who he was but the entire flyer was about how his accusers all lied about what it was he did. My point is that if someone has a single accuser OK who knows what happened. When many people are accusing you of doing the same thing then chances are the case is not going to fall in your favor. Anyone who would harm, violate, or have sex with a child is not someone I want in society, and when a half dozen kids say that some man did something to them I am going to side with the kids.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:42 PM

656 posts, read 901,483 times
Judging by his wikipedia photo, if he hadn't gone with the whole cult leader/child molester thing, he could have been a candidate for Dos Equis's "Most Interesting Man In The World" campaign.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:56 PM

18,548 posts, read 13,683,613 times
I think he would be a good candidate for being burned at the stake. Marrying and molesting a 9 year old child is as discusting as it gets.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:50 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,240,819 times
I was born in Northwest Arkansas and he was an issue then. His people would take in drug-addicts, runaways, and the like then give them jobs. Which could sound nice, and maybe some were better off at least in material terms, but as I recall much of it was virtually slave labor to make boots or the like. He also cut them off from their families. Anyway the mix of separatism and gratitude (taking them from the streets or whatever) sometimes did give their members an intense/extreme loyalty.

A big part of what made them well-known to my family was my family was/is Catholic and Alamo was somewhat obsessed with anti-Catholic conspiracy theories. The kind that, even those here who hate Catholicism, I think would generally find paranoid and weird. Also the wife, Susan, was like in some odd display because they expected she'd come back to life or something.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:33 AM

15,511 posts, read 12,512,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I was born in Northwest Arkansas and he was an issue then. His people would take in drug-addicts, runaways, and the like then give them jobs. Which could sound nice, and maybe some were better off at least in material terms, but as I recall much of it was virtually slave labor to make boots or the like. He also cut them off from their families. Anyway the mix of separatism and gratitude (taking them from the streets or whatever) sometimes did give their members an intense/extreme loyalty.

A big part of what made them well-known to my family was my family was/is Catholic and Alamo was somewhat obsessed with anti-Catholic conspiracy theories. The kind that, even those here who hate Catholicism, I think would generally find paranoid and weird. Also the wife, Susan, was like in some odd display because they expected she'd come back to life or something.
You are correct Susan was kept in a glass display case for something like a year after she died. I was living in Shreveport Louisiana at the time and it was in both Shreveport papers, the Times and the Journal.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:47 AM

18,548 posts, read 13,683,613 times
Sounds like a David Karesh type of Character
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality