Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:50 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,044,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Why does C-D continue to give a forum to these bigoted religious homophobes? The type of intolerance I've seen on display in this thread is why the suicide rate is so high among homosexual teens. God if he existed would be ashamed of you people.
To blame other people for an individual's personal choice to commit suicide is the worst case of "passing the buck" I've ever seen.
Well - apart from the whole incident in the Garden of Eden when they were caught lol.

People are responsible for their own actions. I'm not going to get angry at some forum post, go out and shoot some people and then try to blame the post that set me off. No - I take responsibility for my own actions.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:06 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
I think it's convenient how society has tended to shy away from the previous theories leading up to eugenics in which character traits, actions, and moral capabilities were the consequences of one's genetic history, and yet the same theory is now used to support whatever current politically-correct behavior would benefit from such theories.

Does anyone else see an extreme hypocrisy in this?
Declare that a black is more suited to athletics because of his racial and genetic makeup - and the whole world recoils in horror.
Declare that women excel in certain academic fields over men, and this explains their absence in certain male-domiated fields - and the whole word recoils in horror.
Declare that semites are excellent in intellectual careers because of their racial and genetic makeup - and the whole world recoils in horror.

However -

Declare alcoholism as a disease that strikes peoplem just as cancer strikes people - and the whole world applauds, especially the alcoholics.
Declare lazy, disobedient children in school to be suffering from a genetic disorder - and the whole world applauds, especially the pill manufacturers supplying the 'cure'.
Declare homosexuals, who are biologically aberrant from the normal sexual behavior of homo sapiens and can be shown to be the results of a myriad of psychological, social and familial conditions (and once considered a mental disorder, because of that), to be completely at the mercy of their genetic makeup, with no attention paid to the aforementioned causal conditions - and the whole world applauds, especially the homosexuals.

It seems to me that many people want to have their cake and eat it too - when it suits their political and personal agenda. My brother screams constitutional and civil rights violations when a law is passed infringing on his rights as a business owner in his particular line of work, but was more than willing to vote for a law infringing on these same rights (on the issue of smoking in restaurants) when it affected another person's business and not his own. In the end - he admitted it was wrong and hypcritical, but his hatred of smokers trumped his own sense of moral justic and euqal treatment under the law. Oh well.

Are you people so wrapped up in your religious nonsense that you don't see it doesn't matter if homosexuality is a choice people make or if they're born that way?

The point is THEY'RE PEOPLE!!! They should be free to choose the way they wish to live without the judgement of people like you. Why do you care? Why do you judge? Why are you so fixated on this issue? Why is you're cotton/poly blend shirt not as much of an abomination as homosexuality. Where are the GOD HATES MIXED FIBERS signs?

BTW people choose to drink and children choose to disobey. Homosexuals don't choose to be attracted to the same sex. No more than I chose to be attracted to the opposite sex.

You spin you bigotry and hatred however you wish it is what it is.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
To blame other people for an individual's personal choice to commit suicide is the worst case of "passing the buck" I've ever seen.
Well - apart from the whole incident in the Garden of Eden when they were caught lol.

People are responsible for their own actions. I'm not going to get angry at some forum post, go out and shoot some people and then try to blame the post that set me off. No - I take responsibility for my own actions.
Many homosexual teen suicides are due to their peers bullying and intolerance. The problem with religious bigotry is parents teach it to their kids. Even if it is unintended. They'll tell their kids that homosexuality is wrong but be nice to gay kids in school. Well those kids only hear that being gay is wrong. Then treat they're gay peers accordingly.

Tell all of the parents of gay teens who have taken their own lives that the blame is their children's alone.

The blame is not on religion alone but I sure think it's culpable.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acts_2_christian View Post
If these gay teens are so ashamed of their lifestyle that they would consider suicide, why not just stop being gay?
I'm sure you're type applauds anytime a gay person kills themselves. One less of em' to pollute you're Christian utopia.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:22 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
I don't think "gayness" is the type of issue we should be spending any effort on to determine whether it is genetic or a choice. It's like studying why some people happen to like chicken over fish. What difference does it make?

I know people who are into a wide variaty of sex activity, and have a widely varying set of traits they look for in a mate. But society only seeks the root cause for people who are gay. There's no one seeking the answer to why heterosexuals may like oral or anal sex, or may prefer tall hispanics girls over short asian girls.

It's not that big of a deal people, let it go.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Are you people so wrapped up in your religious nonsense that you don't see it doesn't matter if homosexuality is a choice people make or if they're born that way?

The point is THEY'RE PEOPLE!!! They should be free to choose the way they wish to live without the judgement of people like you. Why do you care? Why do you judge? Why are you so fixated on this issue? Why is you're cotton/poly blend shirt not as much of an abomination as homosexuality. Where are the GOD HATES MIXED FIBERS signs?

BTW people choose to drink and children choose to disobey. Homosexuals don't choose to be attracted to the same sex. No more than I chose to be attracted to the opposite sex.

You spin you bigotry and hatred however you wish it is what it is.
I am neither religious, bigoted or hateful - I think you're reading WAY too much into what I wrote.

Social conditioning patterns us all - whether we are unaware of it or not - along with genetics. It's not JUST genetics.

And as for the MIXED FIBERS crack - read my post some posts above on this page. I make the same exact point you just did:
If people are going to condemn homosexuality using a 3000 year old text, they should also be following the rest of the precepts in the text - including the mixed fibers crap. Please read more carefully, rather than letting your emotions blind you to what I actually wrote in my several posts. I'm not trying to insult - just asking nicely.

And for the record - just because someone doesn't agree with the current politically-correct stance on whether homosexuality is a choice or the pure whims of genetics, doesn't make that person hateful or a homophobe: it just means they disagree on the causes. Sheesh...

Old 10-11-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Many homosexual teen suicides are due to their peers bullying and intolerance. The problem with religious bigotry is parents teach it to their kids. Even if it is unintended. They'll tell their kids that homosexuality is wrong but be nice to gay kids in school. Well those kids only hear that being gay is wrong. Then treat they're gay peers accordingly.

Tell all of the parents of gay teens who have taken their own lives that the blame is their children's alone.

The blame is not on religion alone but I sure think it's culpable.
Your observation that "the blame is not on religion alone" is very, very observant - and it seems to be lost in this thread. It's NOT just religious bigots bullying homosexual teens.

In addition - homosexual teens are not the only people who have been bullied. I was bullied my entire educational period, for various reasons. There's one thing I didn't do - make tearful videos online, in a petty attempt at revenge on my bullies, and then kill myself. I dealt with it, I perservered, I got past it, and now live a fantastic life in which I don't have to deal with being bullied anymore. I grew up.
And I can actually claim a genetic fault for my bullying - I was near-sighted, which forced me to wear glasses, which is always a target for high-school bullies, not to mention reducing my chances at succesful mating with an attractive female of the opposite sex. I suppose that's evolution, huh? Luckily, all that's behind me - just like it will be behind everyone else who perserveres. I'm not saying bullying is a good thing - but it's part of human nature, and human nature can be cruel and vindictive. But so can revenge.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I am neither religious, bigoted or hateful - I think you're reading WAY too much into what I wrote.

Social conditioning patterns us all - whether we are unaware of it or not - along with genetics. It's not JUST genetics.

And as for the MIXED FIBERS crack - read my post some posts above on this page. I make the same exact point you just did:
If people are going to condemn homosexuality using a 3000 year old text, they should also be following the rest of the precepts in the text - including the mixed fibers crap. Please read more carefully, rather than letting your emotions blind you to what I actually wrote in my several posts. I'm not trying to insult - just asking nicely.

And for the record - just because someone doesn't agree with the current politically-correct stance on whether homosexuality is a choice or the pure whims of genetics, doesn't make that person hateful or a homophobe: it just means they disagree on the causes. Sheesh...
You are correct you have not posted anything bigoted. I apologize for inferring that you did. I do think the above statement in blue is a touch insensitive and uninformed. Heterosexual kids have challenges navigating their way through school as it is. Gay kids have it 10X harder. For gay teens in some areas of this country the ridicule and bullying is unbearable. And drawing parallels between being bullied for being "four-eyed" or being a "nerd" is not even close to what homosexuals face.

Last edited by mikebnllnb; 10-11-2011 at 11:47 AM..

Old 10-11-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
You are correct you have not posted anything bigoted. I apologize for inferring that you did. I do think the above statement in blue is a touch insensitive and uninformed. Heterosexual kids have challenges navigating their way through school as it is. Gay kids have it 10X harder. For gay teens in some areas of this country the ridicule and bullying is unbearable.
Thank you.

And i completely understand that bullying can be a horrible thing, and probably even worse for a homosexual. It is unfortunate, and horrible - but I think the schools encourage such types of behavior: it appears that many aspects of school are setup to prepare people for what will happen to them in the real world, where bullying still happens at your place of employment, by government officials, etc. Aggressive behavior is usually rewarded in school, because it has been believed for a very long time that this is what will help an individual get ahead in life. Not everyone can succeed, and the school system realizes this. College is a further evolutionary eliminator and social former.

I'm just going to stay out of the modern politics area of this thread - because it usually does fall to insults, anger and hurt feelings. If there's anything that I can say about the matter that actually concerns the Thread Topic - I'll focus on that. My very first post was about that, and I should have stuck to that. My speciality is in the actual ancient texts and what they say - and how they rarely, if ever, apply to us moderns anymore.

Thanks for the apology, and please forgive any insensitive comments I may have made.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 2,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
For those Christians who think that homosexuality is wrong, do you -

1. Believe that God intends everybody to be heterosexual. Anybody who is homosexual is therefore "cursed" or "possessed by some sort of demon" and needs to be healed. Therefore, anybody who claims to be "homosexual" is in fact sinning simply by acknowledging this.

-OR-

2. Believe that homosexuality is an orientation that affords the same moral decisions that heterosexuals have. Therefore, somebody who is attracted to the same sex but chooses to either have relations with an opposite-sex married partner or remain celibate is not doing anything wrong. The standards, therefore for homosexuals and heterosexuals (only have relations while married to one opposite-sex partner) are the same?

I'd be interested in reading what people have to say about this. I'm also not saying whether I believe homosexuality is wrong or not either, so you might disagree with both of these statements.

I am the kind of Christian where the act is wrong and the attraction is the sin tempting the human soul. what some of the world needs to understand is that there is no possible way that homosexuality is genetic. if it was genetic there would be no transition from straight to bi curious to bi sexual to gay. second. the bible strictly states in both the old and in the new testiment that homosexuality is sin. in the book of romans, the bible states: be not confused, the drunkard, theif, idolater, nor the homosexual, nor the blasphemers will inherit the kingdom of God (yes that was horribly paraphrased but that is mainly what is in that verse) i refuse to be sucked into the belief that the more people are homosexual the more that God must accept it. Sin is Sin. as defined by the bible. and even in websters dictionary, marriage is defined as the binding between one man and one woman. if you do not believe me. look it up. God loves the homosexual but hates the sin. it is up to the homosexual to repent that sin and come to God as he had created them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality