U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-19-2007, 08:49 PM

41 posts, read 78,450 times
Exclamation Dead ends in my research!

Dead ends in my research

What makes people want to stand up and proclaim to be Jesus in the flesh?
I am writing a book and need to do some research on this very subject. One of the characters in my book is going to be person who thinks they are the Christ returned for his second coming. Unfortunately most of what is written about people, [men and women who have made this claim] is not good information for me to work with creating such a person. Finding the names of people, [men and women] who have made the second coming claim has proved a test in itself.

If you know anybody [male or female], have a name perhaps, please help me out. Even if you have a wild idea you would like to contribute, please do.

Skeeter :
Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-19-2007, 09:07 PM

264 posts, read 422,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticmosquito View Post
Dead ends in my research

I am writing a book and need to do some research on this very subject. One of the characters in my book is going to be person who thinks they are the Christ returned for his second coming. Unfortunately most of what is written about people, [men and women who have made this claim] is not good information for me to work with creating such a person. Finding the names of people, [men and women] who have made the second coming claim has proved a test in itself.

If you know anybody [male or female], have a name perhaps, please help me out. Even if you have a wild idea you would like to contribute, please do.

Skeeter :
Sun-Myung Moon comes to mind...

Unread 08-19-2007, 09:07 PM

122 posts, read 220,415 times
I grew up with a kid whose parents were strict fundamentalists (bible thumpers). He was a good kid but his dad beat him for things like masturbation, taking the lords name in vain, and many other religious faux pas that all kids do.

He went to a fundamentist college and was sent to South Africa as a missionary for a few months. Then dropped out of college, and moved into some woods a few miles from our old neighborhood. I used to visit him on cold winter nights, during Christmas break. He usally had a racoon or opposum, roasting over a spit. He really thought he was John the Baptist.
I felt that he dropped out of school to rebel against his dad, but he really thought he was John the Baptist.

His dad, had the police arrest him after a few months and had him commited to an insane asylemn. He escaped and showed up at my place while I was still in college. I got him a construction job, and his own place, but he was never the same again.

To be fair. His younger brother had no signs of mental illness, but did have massive integrity issues. Today he is a very successful businessman. I still have no idea what ever became of his brother John (his actual name). He probably was born with mental issues. But his dad throwing open the bathroom door while John was doing his business, then beating the heck out of him for it, was definately a contributing factor that drove the guy over the edge.

Unread 08-19-2007, 09:20 PM

264 posts, read 422,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throx View Post
He probably was born with mental issues. But his dad throwing open the bathroom door while John was doing his business, then beating the heck out of him for it, was definately a contributing factor that drove the guy over the edge.
What leads you to that conclusion?

Unread 08-19-2007, 09:24 PM

5,531 posts, read 8,543,600 times
You seem to know alot about what he does in his private time

Unread 08-19-2007, 11:59 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,061,151 times
Quote:
Dead ends in my research

Skeeter :
I believe this guy claims to be the "Christ". When Googling, try different spelling: Maitreya, Maitraya, Matraya
False Christ, False Miracles Archive 2

Bud

Unread 08-20-2007, 12:23 AM

37,750 posts, read 39,150,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamite View Post
What leads you to that conclusion?
My goodness! You have to ask?

It's common knowledge that strict religious upbringing, similar to Throx's description, can send someone over the edge!

Most serial killers were raised by overly religious, abusive parents.

Unread 08-20-2007, 12:37 AM

2,796 posts, read 6,318,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My goodness! You have to ask?

It's common knowledge that strict religious upbringing, similar to Throx's description, can send someone over the edge!

Most serial killers were raised by overly religious, abusive parents.
Agreed! It's one thing to try to do what's right, another to go to extremes .

And it's very sad, you're right! there have been many killers that were raised by extremist parents (from various religious backgrounds). There's a right way and a wrong way to handle things and the wrong way results in issues like Throx's friend or WORSE!

Unread 08-20-2007, 11:02 AM

1,587 posts, read 2,525,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throx View Post
I grew up with a kid whose parents were strict fundamentalists (bible thumpers). He was a good kid but his dad beat him for things like masturbation, taking the lords name in vain, and many other religious faux pas that all kids do.

He went to a fundamentist college and was sent to South Africa as a missionary for a few months. Then dropped out of college, and moved into some woods a few miles from our old neighborhood. I used to visit him on cold winter nights, during Christmas break. He usally had a racoon or opposum, roasting over a spit. He really thought he was John the Baptist.
I felt that he dropped out of school to rebel against his dad, but he really thought he was John the Baptist.

His dad, had the police arrest him after a few months and had him commited to an insane asylemn. He escaped and showed up at my place while I was still in college. I got him a construction job, and his own place, but he was never the same again.

To be fair. His younger brother had no signs of mental illness, but did have massive integrity issues. Today he is a very successful businessman. I still have no idea what ever became of his brother John (his actual name). He probably was born with mental issues. But his dad throwing open the bathroom door while John was doing his business, then beating the heck out of him for it, was definately a contributing factor that drove the guy over the edge.
That is a really sad story.

Unread 08-20-2007, 11:47 AM

4,708 posts, read 5,141,203 times
Default Jesus of Siberia

Quote:
Dead ends in my research

Jesus of Siberia | The Guardian | Guardian Unlimited
//
Sergei Torop was a traffic cop in the small Russian town of Minusinsk until 1989, when he announced that he was the son of God. Now he commands a following of thousands and rules over a large swath of the Siberian mountains.
//

Novel Faiths Find Followers Among Russia's Disillusioned
Novel Faiths Find Followers Among Russia's Disillusioned - washingtonpost.com
//
Torop, 46, is a former Siberian traffic cop who is now spiritual leader of at least 5,000 devoted followers. They have abandoned lives as artists, engineers and professionals in other fields to move to this remote corner of Siberia, 2,000 miles from Moscow. In empty woodlands, they are building from scratch an entire new town, where they pass their lives near the man they call Vissarion, "he who gives new life."

Russian government officials and religion analysts call his Church of the Last Testament one of the largest new religious groups in Russia, which has become an incubator of novel faiths since the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991.

Thousands of new religious groups have formed all over the world in recent years as increasing numbers of people become disillusioned with traditional religions, according to experts who study worship trends. In Russia, millions of people returned to the Orthodox Church after seven decades of state suppression of religion, but hundreds of thousands of others sought new faiths for new times.

Custom-made religions spring up nearly weekly across the world, some attracting a handful of adherents and others many thousands. And whatever their god, gospel or guru, like-minded searchers are finding one another faster and easier than ever through the connecting powers of the Internet.
//
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality