U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2011, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,428 posts, read 1,420,194 times
Reputation: 888

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
There is a persistent myth about atheism that goes a little something like this, “There are no true atheists . . . you’re just a bunch of petulant children throwing temper tantrums.” Theists tell me that we are not using logic and reason to refrain from believing in the magical claims from their book. We are just angry at god and upset because he won’t give us a Ferrari and so we stomp and whine about how much we hate sky daddy.

Atheism is Not a Temper Tantrum
You couldn't convince me of that by listening to the A/A Support Group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2011, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,428 posts, read 1,420,194 times
Reputation: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Agnostics search. Atheist have concluded.
Amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 04:55 PM
 
6,039 posts, read 9,242,926 times
Reputation: 3933
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What slam? Are you catching the fundie persecution complex? I said nothing pro or con about the industry you are in.
Yeah, I don't think anyone here has said it's wrong. Selling used cars isn't wrong; ambulance-chasing lawyers aren't wrong; title loan companies aren't wrong...but they're all seen as shady professions that typically take advantage of people. That's what GldnPmp is doing.

Wrong? No. Sleazy? Oh yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,100,313 times
Reputation: 3719
Default And so it continues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Sure feels like it when you have to crash every single thread with "this isn't real" and "it's all in your head" and "I'm not surprised you believe in this myth" etc. etc. If it's not a temper tantrum, why do you feel the need to assert your beliefs constantly? Why not just let people be?
Well... because we will no longer stand idly by while our well-thought-out and substantial personal beliefs are being rampaged and brutalized under the "holier-than-thou!" guise of some greater social and cultural imperatives. Mandated school prayers, the teaching of obvious falseness or mis-information in a high-school science class, and the imposition of specific moral values (banning gay mariages and abortions, or dis-allowing an atheist or Mormon or Islamic president to start with...). All clear signs of a vast conspiracy of outright moral stagnation and suppression. Yup....

Something for the church to be rightfully proud of, I'd say....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
√ I call it like I see it. Atheist culture seems to be a culture of anger and childish potty-mouth.

√ Face it, you can't be an atheist if you aren't angry.
'Course, who says your interpretation is correct, right? After all, it's only your opinion. Oh, and it's also wrong!

Specifically, I and all my theist and scientific friends are very happy, profesionlly content, and used to the unwarranted personal attacks from the religious demonizers. Being as well educated and thought-out in the realities around us as we've become, and steeped in the facts of the wheres and hows of this ever-changing (i.e.: evolving...) world, we revel in our constantly improving knowledge, and wonder how anyone who is constrained within the petty thinking of others, and within their truly petty spiritual interpretations derived from the ancient ignorant prophets, could possibly be happy.

It's like assuming that a pet trained rat is happy when he's kept in a too-small darkened steel wire cage and fed only one kind of boring "spiritual food" and some not-very-good lukewarm and stale "holy water". Yum!

Sounds charming, yet so provincially Christian! They'd also assure that unfortunate rat: "Such sacrifice is good for you, ratty!" and then they'd slam the cage door on him... again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Agnostics search. Atheists have concluded.
Probably true, in fact. And thus not a valid criticism, in fact. Realize though, that first we thought it all out carefully and in sufficient detail, and thus tried to save our Christianity. But we eventually realized the totality of the purposeful subterfuge that is Christianity. And so... out it goes! Kah-Bumphhhhh on it's arse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Oh, when will you get your terms correct? Broadly defined:

Agnostics have decided that they'll never know if certain things exist, that they are in fact unknowable. There is no reason to search if you believe you'll never find the answer anyway.

An atheist has learned that there is no evidence for the existence of any of the man-made gods.. Until actual scientific evidence can be presented and tested to prove the existence of such a being or beings, an atheist dismisses their validity. Atheism does not claim "There is no god". Atheism claims "There is no evidence for any god."
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Oh, it's not a myth...many Atheists are all bolloxed-up over Theism...not all, but many.



So they call the Theists, "delusional", "believers in myths/fairy tales", "not right in the head", and all manner of insults.

(Hey; if the smelly shoebox fits, why not slip it on, huh? And yeah; I can get into that... rflmn™)

Any they specifically devote thousands, and thousands, and thousands of the precious hours of their lives to disseminating this stuff.
Well... however.... it does keep us offa the streets, dont'cha know? And it's harmless if the recipient has the necessary hardened skin and sense of humor!" rflmn™

Now now, Gldn... seems to me you give back about as much as some give out, however modified to represent your "Mystifying" new perspective.

Sounds like what a lot of us do here. It'd be a kinda all too quiet, dull and lonely a place if we didn't, wouldn't you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Lies and ignorance live long and prosper within many religious ideologies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
And most atheists.
Another slander. See, agnostic's point is demonstrably true, while yours is not. Selective? Not really. I can prove the ignorance on the part of Christian posters, when they claim, for instance, that the earth is only 6000 yrs old, that Evolution cannot happen or be proven, that DNA doesn't exist, and that kiggy here has a lot of internalized hostility. That part's for sure provable.

It's just too bad she can't re-direct some of that creative energy in a more productive way than to demonize a group of folks who simply have never been able to find any convincing evidence for the Mythical Sky Daddy. Not even at the same level of credibility of the The FSM, which BTW, we just had for lunch. (QED again. His holy pastafarianism truly resideth within all of us! And... after commiserating with Him, I always feel sufficiently suffonsified and at peace!)

*BTW, kiggy, I'm still waiting to see if you have the cajonés to participate in a non-combative debate. No answer so far.

I'm betting you're actually trembling in your special intellectual booties even by considering having a téte a téte on scientific subjects with me. You know; the ones with the cute little bunnies on the tops?

Google Images

(your "God Luvz Yah!" Slippers! [and He shall have dominion over the bunnies of the forests.... blah blah blah...])

Last edited by rifleman; 09-23-2011 at 05:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
2,705 posts, read 2,516,026 times
Reputation: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Uh, well, if they act like that they are certainly not "true" athiests.
Talk is cheap. Actions are always louder. Certain people produce certain kinds of fruit, and we can know them by their fruit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,046 posts, read 30,801,451 times
Reputation: 12226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Talk is cheap. Actions are always louder. Certain people produce certain kinds of fruit, and we can know them by their fruit.
Lol...Fruit? We are not apple trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,100,313 times
Reputation: 3719
No, but the evangelical fundy-religious fanatic types certainly are "nutz"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
2,705 posts, read 2,516,026 times
Reputation: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
No, but the evangelical fundy-religious fanatic types certainly are "nutz"...
I know what you mean, and I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 11:21 PM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,322,222 times
Reputation: 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Lol...Fruit? We are not apple trees.
It's not the fruit that concerns me, it the;

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2011, 02:59 AM
 
35,097 posts, read 9,098,589 times
Reputation: 4827
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Agnostics search. Atheist have concluded.
Agnosticism and atheism are misunderstood and misrepresented by the religious apologists while their supporters respond with mindless cheering.

Agnostics don't know.
Atheists don't believe in what we don't know.
Theists search for anything to prop up their Faith - based conclusions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top