U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 04:32 AM

6,640 posts, read 3,864,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Well... however.... it does keep us offa the streets, dont'cha know? And it's harmless if the recipient has the necessary hardened skin and sense of humor!" rflmn™

Now now, Gldn... seems to me you give back about as much as some give out, however modified to represent your "Mystifying" new perspective.

Sounds like what a lot of us do here. It'd be a kinda all too quiet, dull and lonely a place if we didn't, wouldn't you say?
"About as much"?...WOW rifle!...and here all along I was trying to give back at least twice what I got...because I'm just that kind of guy!

Gee...I didn't know I was seen as such a "slacker"...I'll have to "step up my game".

You know I think the "rough and tumble" is the best part of this forum!

But make no mistake...I really have developed an affinity for all of you.

Wow...long hard night...time to go home and get some rest so I can do it again tomorrow night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 08:17 AM

2,976 posts, read 2,256,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Agnosticism and atheism are misunderstood and misrepresented by the religious apologists while their supporters respond with mindless cheering.

Agnostics don't know.
Atheists don't believe in what we don't know.
Theists search for anything to prop up their Faith - based conclusions.
You are dishonest and desperate; this is why you lobby this religious forum everday looking for justifications- there is none.

1ag·nos·tic

noun \ag-ˈnäs-tik, əg-\

Definition of AGNOSTIC

: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

: a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something <political agnostics>

ag·nos·ti·cism \-tə-ˌsi-zəm\ noun

.learners-link div.learners-link-content { font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; padding: 0pt 5px 0pt 22px; }.learners-link div.learners-link-content a .word { text-decoration: none; }.learners-link div.learners-link-content a:hover .word { color: rgb(83, 88, 169); text-decoration: underline; }#content .definition div.d .learners-link a, #content .definition div.d .learners-link a:hover, #content .definition div.d .learners-link a:link, #content .definition div.d .learners-link a:visited { color: black; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-variant: normal; font-size: 13px; text-decoration: none; } See agnostic defined for English-language learners »

.wcentral-link div.wcentral-link-content { font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; padding: 0pt 5px 0pt 0pt; }.wcentral-link div.wcentral-link-content a .word { text-decoration: none; }.wcentral-link div.wcentral-link-content a:hover .word { color: rgb(83, 88, 169); text-decoration: underline; }#content .definition div.d .wcentral-link a, #content .definition div.d .wcentral-link a:hover, #content .definition div.d .wcentral-link a:link, #content .definition div.d .wcentral-link a:visited { color: black; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-variant: normal; font-size: 13px; text-decoration: none; }See agnostic defined for kids »

.example-sentences ol.collapsed-list li.hidden { display: none; }li.more-sent-link { background: none repeat scroll 0% 0% transparent; }#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.more-link, #content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.hide-link { color: rgb(113, 114, 116); font-family: verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; }#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.more-link:hover .text, #content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.hide-link:hover .text { text-decoration: underline; }.example-sentences ol.expanded-list a.more-link, .example-sentences ol.collapsed-list a.hide-link { display: none; }#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link span.icon { padding-right: 2px; }Examples of AGNOSTIC

1. Even polytheists … were in fact tolerated, as Islamic rule spread to most of India. Only the total unbeliever—the agnostic or atheist—was beyond the pale of tolerance … —Bernard Lewis, Islam in History, 1993
  2. Supporters of education vouchers … will love what Norman Macrae has to say on the subject. Teachers' unions and other opponents of vouchers … will deplore it. Voucher agnostics (and I include myself) might find that the proposal not only answers most doubts but also makes sense on issues they've never much thought about. —William Raspberry, Springfield (Massachusetts) Union, 14 Aug. 1987
  3. I call myself an agnostic. I do not really have any faith, any coherent religious faith, and yet the one thing in my life that I feel passionate and evangelical about is poetry. —Maxine Kumin, “An Interview at Interlochen,” 1977, in To Make a Prairie, 1979
  4. [+]more[-]hide

Origin of AGNOSTIC

Greek agnōstos unknown, unknowable, from a- + gnōstos known, from gignōskein to know — more at knowFirst Known Use: 1869

Other Christian Religious Terms

Pentateuch, blasphemy, curate, doxology, eremite, iconoclasm, liturgy, orison, pneuma, reliquary

Rhymes with AGNOSTIC

acrostic, prognostic

#spanish_reference .learn_more { margin-bottom: 16px; }Learn More About AGNOSTIC
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...0&t=1316874823

Last edited by gabfest; 09-24-2011 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: Addded Merriam Webster's Defintion

Old 09-24-2011, 08:37 AM

5,426 posts, read 5,573,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
Gabfest, I actually think the agnostic has the worst stance possible. At least the Atheists are willing to stand firm and say they do not believe in God. An agnostic simply doesn't know. To me, agnosticism is the easy way out. Both the atheist and theist have a burden to furnish data as to why they believe what they believe.

The second definition you provided of agnosticism is telling:

2. One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.
I tend to agree with the good Mr. Baylorguy here. Although I respect the people who hold themselves out to be agnostic, I often think it's a little bit of a cop-out.

If real life we don't claim to be agnostic toward the claims of leprachuans or magic unicorns, why wouldn't the same be true of a putative God?

We generally disbelieve a claim that is deemed impossible by laws of physics, rather than claiming agnosticism. Thus the default position for God should be disbelief, and that should only change if one has a specific reason for doing so, i.e. you believe the bible is authoritative, etc.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I tend to agree with the good Mr. Baylorguy here. Although I respect the people who hold themselves out to be agnostic, I often think it's a little bit of a cop-out.

If real life we don't claim to be agnostic toward the claims of leprachuans or magic unicorns, why wouldn't the same be true of a putative God?

We generally disbelieve a claim that is deemed impossible by laws of physics, rather than claiming agnosticism. Thus the default position for God should be disbelief, and that should only change if one has a specific reason for doing so, i.e. you believe the bible is authoritative, etc.
Here we sit on this tiny third rock from sun and think we know it all. Okay, time to close shop it's all been worked out and thunked up for us...just gotta have the faith.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:01 AM

5,426 posts, read 5,573,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Here we sit on this tiny third rock from sun and think we know it all. Okay, time to close shop it's all been worked out and thunked up for us...just gotta have the faith.
Generally it is the theist who claims to have all the answers, because he believes unknowns are caused by God.

For me at least, I am comfortable with stating that there are things we don't currently know. But I believe the answers are most likely consistent with the laws of physics as we know them today, and so a super-natural being is unlikely to be the cause.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:02 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,218,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Atheists and scientists have never claimed to know everything. That's only you people who keep chanting "goddunnit".

Old 09-24-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Atheists and scientists have never claimed to know everything. That's only you people who keep chanting "goddunnit".
You generalize/pre-judge to such a degree it's hard to take you serious. You are running scared and crying wolf all over the place all of the time. I have never told you God done anything but that want stop you from pre-judging me will it? You can not respect anyones belief system but yours...you are an absolutist also.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:34 AM

Some religious folk do not believe all have souls and I have heard some here state they do not have souls. I have never said 'Yes you do too, yes you have a soul' I do not know if someone has a soul or not I can only speak for self. When someone states they have no soul I believe them and leave it at that.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:37 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,237,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Theists don't claim to know everything either. Very few people, regardless of belief, actually claim to know everything.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:29 AM

10,946 posts, read 7,982,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Theists don't claim to know everything either. Very few people, regardless of belief, actually claim to know everything.
They just claim to know, without a doubt, how it did not happen. That being evidence provided by science that differs from their blind belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality