U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2011, 10:27 AM
 
10,452 posts, read 10,246,712 times
Reputation: 12496

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
They just claim to know, without a doubt, how it did not happen. That being evidence provided by science that differs from their blind belief.
That's pretty far off from claiming to know everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2011, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,094,472 times
Reputation: 11277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Face it, you can't be an atheist if you aren't angry.
Really?
What am I angry about?
Nothing at all.
I have a lovely life, travel throughout the world, have great friends, make good money....
I just don't believe in fairy tale creatures, none of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,094,472 times
Reputation: 11277
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Sure feels like it when you have to crash every single thread with "this isn't real" and "it's all in your head" and "I'm not surprised you believe in this myth" etc. etc. If it's not a temper tantrum, why do you feel the need to assert your beliefs constantly? Why not just let people be?
As soon as religious people let the rest of us be and keep their beliefs out of our lives and our laws, we'll be less forceful.

Saying what we believe is now a temper tantrum?
Are you saying that no religious poster has ever had a tantrum at atheists/agnostics?

Is there any proof of a god thing?
If not, skepticism will arise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Metromess
11,798 posts, read 21,381,718 times
Reputation: 5054
The only thing I'm angry about is Theophane's unfounded and untrue statement that I can't be an atheist if I'm not angry. That refers to the calumny that atheists are atheist because they are angry at "God". How can I be angry at something I do not believe in the existence of? How absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
2,705 posts, read 2,509,895 times
Reputation: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Generally it is the theist who claims to have all the answers, because he believes unknowns are caused by God.

For me at least, I am comfortable with stating that there are things we don't currently know. But I believe the answers are most likely consistent with the laws of physics as we know them today, and so a super-natural being is unlikely to be the cause.
Why? As you say, there are things we don't currently know. Are you suggesting there couldn't possible be anything beyond what we know?

Typical scientist mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,040 posts, read 30,718,228 times
Reputation: 12222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Why? As you say, there are things we don't currently know. Are you suggesting there couldn't possible be anything beyond what we know?

Typical scientist mindset.
Now this is a funny post...If that was the scientific mind set, then there would be no need for scientists...Science is specifically about discovering things we don't know....Think about what you posted....The preferred method is think before you post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 03:09 PM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,270,775 times
Reputation: 8265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Face it, you can't be an atheist if you aren't angry.
Based on the fact that willfully stupidity tend to pizz me off, I guess you have a point, but it is the willfulness of the stupidity, not the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 04:12 PM
 
34,772 posts, read 8,973,685 times
Reputation: 4810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Why? As you say, there are things we don't currently know. Are you suggesting there couldn't possible be anything beyond what we know?

Typical scientist mindset.
It is unfortunately Typical theist mindset to foist on atheism the strawman claim that they suppose science knows everything. What we have said exhaustively is that logically one shouldn't believe as a fact or something probable what we don't know and don't have very good evidence for.

The Theist mindset again and again is believing as fact - factual enough to be an object of worship, not just belief - something which doesn't have good enough evidential support to make it probable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 04:19 PM
 
6,039 posts, read 9,225,065 times
Reputation: 3933
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Really?
What am I angry about?
Nothing at all.
I have a lovely life, travel throughout the world, have great friends, make good money....
I just don't believe in fairy tale creatures, none of them.
Rock on, sister.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2011, 02:34 PM
 
691 posts, read 396,711 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
There is a persistent myth about atheism that goes a little something like this, “There are no true atheists . . . you’re just a bunch of petulant children throwing temper tantrums.” Theists tell me that we are not using logic and reason to refrain from believing in the magical claims from their book. We are just angry at god and upset because he won’t give us a Ferrari and so we stomp and whine about how much we hate sky daddy.

Atheism is Not a Temper Tantrum
well personally speaking,i never looked at unbelievers that way. in fact i'm always defending them by saying i understand why they feel the way they do. and i also tell the believers who's acting UNGODLY -like towards them, to check themselves. and that they're giviing unbelievers reasons for not wanting to even believe there's a high spirit being. simply because most christians can get nasty, i've seen many in these forums. what's even sadder, many attacks each other. as i've said, if i didn't believe and follow those i see, i wouldn't want to be what they are. each has their right to believe whatever. christians can't make anyone believe what they believe. and they can't act as though they have a first class ticket to Heaven,(which most do believe). we ALL better get off of our high horses, and stop believing we're better than anyone else. for those who don't believe in God, if they live to see an end, they will know for sure, one way or another. peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top