U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 11:54 PM

2,506 posts, read 1,934,046 times

Advertisements

No Atheism isn't a temper tantrum. If it is, then would that make religion a pacifier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 02:49 AM

1,808 posts, read 1,520,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Atheism is the search for truth.

Religion is not truth, and anger/frustration comes from having to deal with so many people who in the 21st century STILL insist religion is truth.
I wonder if you're listening to yourself, sometimes. You're as bad as the Religious Right, insisting that 'Christianity is THE Truth'. Besides which, all of the thread-crashing with 'God is not real'-type stuff is really disrespectful to those that do believe (not to mention irritating).

Okay, yes, we get it -- you're athiests.

Stop rubbing our noses in it, already.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:28 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,296,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
There is a persistent myth about atheism that goes a little something like this, “There are no true atheists . . . you’re just a bunch of petulant children throwing temper tantrums.” Theists tell me that we are not using logic and reason to refrain from believing in the magical claims from their book. We are just angry at god and upset because he won’t give us a Ferrari and so we stomp and whine about how much we hate sky daddy.

Atheism is Not a Temper Tantrum
Not so much a myth as a way for some believers to assure themselves that logic alone cannot account for atheism, that it must be some sort of emotional reaction as a result of an objection a person has with some aspect of belief in a deity. At least, that's the basis of the claim. From there, though, I suppose there are countless sheep who here such a notion and mindlessly agree. I'm sure it makes most of those people feel good, too.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:37 AM

11,795 posts, read 9,723,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
The only thing that angers me is the length that people will go to in their quest for willful stupidity, and only because these are the people that are the cancer in society with their hatred, bigotry and delusional views.

This is the same view you are professing others are???UHM? You are judging because someone believes in God, yet you do not want to be judged because you may not believe.

Anyone who does not believe in God is in rebellion against God. However I myself have no anger against an atheist. They have not been chosen by God at this time, this is His sovereign choice.
I have no power to hep them believe, only Jesus can do this. All we do is plant the seed, God makes it grow.

Many Christians do become angry when God is blasphemed, we will defend Him because we love Him, not because He needs our help. It is like someone saying something bad about one of our parents, except this is stonger and just as atheists become angry because we defend God.

Jesus spoke of this division many times.

God bless you,
Mercy
This kind of condescending attitude is exactly why nonreligious people speak out against the gung-ho religious types like yourself. We don't believe in any god because are using the free will you supposedly believe "he" gave us to Moderator cut: inappropriate conjured up by cultists thousands of years ago and had the good luck to be passed down by generations of believers who didn't let it die.

I have no problem with Christians or anyone else due to their religious beliefs, but the above nonsense you spouted is exactly why your religion gets a bad rap. At least the others recognize we're either one of them or we're not, while you as a Christian condescend us with this "you're only a non-believer because your not ready" garbage.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-09-2011 at 02:30 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 01:50 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,247,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
Anyone who does not believe in God is in rebellion against God. However I myself have no anger against an atheist. They have not been chosen by God at this time, this is His sovereign choice.
I have no power to hep them believe, only Jesus can do this. All we do is plant the seed, God makes it grow.
Do you believe in Santa? Or are you in rebellion against Santa?
Do you believe in the tooth fairy? Or are you in rebellion against the tooth fairy?

I don't even have a problem with people believing a god that doesn't exist, up to a point. When the commander in chief of the greatest military on the planet today says "god told me to invade Iraq", then I have and will continue to rebel against the utter STUPIDITY of believing in such a god.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:57 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,073,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
You never attack muslims, Jews or any non christian group.
How on earth we attack the didactic incoherent tomes posted by Muslims on this forum. You can argue with that which is undecipherable. As for Jews, since they mind their own business (religiously speaking) what Jews are their to attack. Now bring on a Muslim who can write in anything other than 6th Century riddles or a crazy ultra orthodox Jew and we will see what we can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality