U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:05 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,607,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
Nice. I love concerts! See for me I'm finding real life is about "the experience." Going to concert is a perfect example of this...being in the here and now with a collective group enjoying music. It doesn't get better than that....well maybe.
Me too!
There's something about being there & watching & hearing the music played live.
Still, the next best thing is something like this...
Beethoven Symphony No.9 - YouTube
I love how Beethoven incorporates so many feelings into his music!
And to think he composed this when he was deaf!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 08:34 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,086,895 times
Sounds to me like Op is depressed.Its not life ;its what you make of it.Sounds more like OP is looking for a new thrill not happiness really.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:52 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,524,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Sounds to me like Op is depressed.Its not life ;its what you make of it.Sounds more like OP is looking for a new thrill not happiness really.
It is said Alexander cried at the age of 21 because he had no more lands to conquer.

sometimes we spend so much time looking for conquest we forget how to enjoy what we have.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:47 PM

11,795 posts, read 9,721,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It is said Alexander cried at the age of 21 because he had no more lands to conquer.

sometimes we spend so much time looking for conquest we forget how to enjoy what we have.
Agreed; it often helps to go back to the simple things which made you happy when you were younger...reading, drawing, taking a walk in nature, riding a bike, adopting a dog, writing a story, taking a trip to a museum, etc.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:20 PM

1,738 posts, read 731,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Perhaps another part is the feeling of not really connecting with anyone, except my Partner , not emotional - The fakeness, blandness of people, the artifical nature of "friendships", the being hesitant in opening up and being yourself with others.
That's very true, too, Mikeyking. I feel you about the falseness of many "relationships/friendships" myself. I think that you are very fortunate to have your connection with your partner, however. Many people don't even have that.

You know--- someone else mentioned that maybe you could volunteer with disabled kids. I would have to agree with that, or with volunteering with kids in any way if you like them (and have no record/issues that would preclude this, of course), because children are very genuine and readily accept you as you are in most cases. And what you see is what you get with them, too. They tell it like it is and when they like/trust you-- you'll know it. There is something very rewarding about enriching the lives of kids who need you in some fashion- be it as a coach, tutor, court advocate, Big Brother/Big Sister, etc... And it's work that really, really "matters" in the grand scheme of things- enriching a human life at a very early stage when maybe you can truly make a difference for them. You will meet other like-minded adults, too, and perhaps connect with them, as well. Just a thought.

Bottom line- I'll tell you that life is all about ebbs and tides... you'll have periods like this through-out your life, but then you will have more "dynamic" things going on at other times, also. Just ride out the tide, but most of all- enjoy the ride. After all, it's better than the alternative...

P.S. I just re-read your post and caught that you thought maybe it could be time to add to your family. I will say that NOTHING in my life has ever given me more of a sense of purpose or a more unconditional love than being a parent. It's the best "thing" I have ever done, and I have seen and done many, many things in my life. If you are basically a loving, unselfish person, have a stable relationship with an equally willing partner, plus the financial means--- having a baby can be the most rewarding experience of life.

Last edited by js1mom; 09-23-2011 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: P.S.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:03 AM

13,883 posts, read 9,662,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Music does it for me.

I'm at a show at least once a week. I get that "high" every time.
Go see a Leonard Cohen concert. He'll cure that.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:18 AM

5,426 posts, read 5,572,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js1mom View Post

P.S. I just re-read your post and caught that you thought maybe it could be time to add to your family. I will say that NOTHING in my life has ever given me more of a sense of purpose or a more unconditional love than being a parent. It's the best "thing" I have ever done, and I have seen and done many, many things in my life. If you are basically a loving, unselfish person, have a stable relationship with an equally willing partner, plus the financial means--- having a baby can be the most rewarding experience of life.
While there are arguments for and against, I will confirm that having kids is one of the few things in life that lives up to the hype... at least it did for me. All those sappy hallmark emotional descriptions about how one feels when seeing their new child all turn out to be true, again, at least for me.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:39 PM

1,602 posts, read 2,633,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
As I sit typing this, contemplating wether to open a bottle of wine - A growing sense of futility is creeping over me - I sense I have not experienced any true emotional depths or real depth of experience - just bland mundane experiences - the new job, the new car, the marriage, the nights out - all become old. I want the next high - that feeling you get when you go travelling when your 18, and everything is new, that sense of wonder and awe - the sense of optimism for the future.

On this forum - i discussed my experience my experience with Mormons, and the good feeling I got, that feeling of awakening, - but I just can't take reading scriptures seriously of any religion.

have read plenty of the new age/self development books- but again never thought they were believable - and they just make me sick to read the stuff, and can't bear people who are into it. The whole "goal setting" thing for every aspect of your life is for bland corporate types.

I feel like life is passing me by - I want something, but what I don't know.

Career/Corporate lifestyle is generally boring and frustrating - but bearable, althought I am far being a "career" type, the environments sickens me at times.
Always flirting with the idea of a Business, but lacking action and the real "knowhow".
Relationship - Stable, but I don't think a new one is the answer. Perhaps time to start a family to care for someone else.

Studying something new - possibly since I spend large amounts of reading
A Few Friends, never been great at making lots of friends
A few hobbies, like football, running - and marathon running(although thats slipping)

All I know is I can't continue with this rut and lacking purpose, and point to my life. I just find people who are perfectly satisfied with job, tv programmes just incredibly boring and irritating. Has ANYONE got a sense higher purpose rather than dull conformity.

I need Real Purpose, Real Feeling, Real Emotion - not mundane corporate "passion" for your career, or hobbies that your not that interested in - something that makes me want to jump out of bed in the morning. My life is lacking any real excitement.
Let me emphasize your comment: '..... the feeling you get when you go traveling at 18....'. Maybe you should travel more. I got a new high when we visited Rome, the Vatican and I really got high when viewing the Sestine Chapel and Michellangelo's masterpiece. In Paris, I got a new high in just being there and visiting all the great masterpieces in the Louve. I suggest you really see the world, -I can garantee you'll really forget to keep feeling sorry for yourself.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:22 PM

4,480 posts, read 4,221,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Go see a Leonard Cohen concert. He'll cure that.

I love Leonard Cohen's songs. His songs are often covered at shows I've been to. He's kind of a dreary singer but his song writing is amazing. I'd put Tom Waits and Dylan in the same category.

Here's a great cover of one of his best songs.

Chelsea Hotel #2 - The Guggenheim Grotto - YouTube

Old 09-25-2011, 11:03 AM

12,445 posts, read 14,574,540 times
mikeyking....if I was your wife, and read what you wrote, I'd feel very dissapointed, and hurt.....you have a lot more than many people...you just need to learn how to appreciate and enjoy it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality