U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:27 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,056,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
As I sit typing this, contemplating wether to open a bottle of wine
Open it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 08:33 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,228,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
That's good!
I just think it's unfair to point a finger at someone for doing what you do too.
Don't we all try to find ways to amuse ourselves - or to improve conditions?
Those who don't, have given up.
He's not doing what I do, thus his unhappiness. Appears he has decided he isn't happy, and whined.

I have volunteered for decades. I have a variety of interests, we go out with good friends on a regular basis, I teach part time in my field of expertise. I have taken on challenges completely out of my comfort zone.

But the major difference I have taken control of my happiness, now and in the past, for I know that if I didn't no one would.

All 100% superstition free

Last edited by Asheville Native; 09-25-2011 at 08:43 PM..

Old 09-25-2011, 11:42 PM

2,506 posts, read 1,932,702 times
a common mistake people assume is that you can only find excitement and happiness in a fast paced setting. I was always looking for the next fix. I would do anything I could to increase my adrenaline. I thought this was happiness, I thought this is what life was about. I have always had the personal philosophy that the meaning of life is to simply live life. I thought living life was about adventure and doing things that got my heart pumping.

Suddenly, one day it came to me. I was doing it all wrong. I was reading the book, Improv wisdom and I realized that I wasn't really living. I was showing off, I wanted people to think I was happy. Now two years later, I find joy in the things I really enjoy. I enjoy many things, some of these things are not seen as normal or accepted completely. I do them because I enjoy them. It wasn't easy at first. We are bred by society to follow the crowd and do like others. We are told we need to fit in and be like by people. This is wrong. We need to be ourselves. We need not worry about other people being comfortable with the life we choose.

I practice Reiki, and many other spiritual traditions. I meditate, have lucid dreams, and I study science, history, religion, and spiritualism. I love psychology, philosophy and History. I don't care what my highly Christian family thinks. I do it because it makes me happy. It makes me feel like me.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:05 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,605,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
He's not doing what I do, thus his unhappiness. Appears he has decided he isn't happy, and whined.

I have volunteered for decades. I have a variety of interests, we go out with good friends on a regular basis, I teach part time in my field of expertise. I have taken on challenges completely out of my comfort zone.

But the major difference I have taken control of my happiness, now and in the past, for I know that if I didn't no one would.

All 100% superstition free
Asheville,
Tha's great yo u've volunteered & have interests & good friends & take on challenges. And I agree that happiness is sometimes a decision & negativity doesn't help.
Yet, there's a balance between, "Sucking it up" & facing reality that if your life isn't what you want, what can you do to improve it.

You may not consciously believe in supersition, but if you did, it wouldn't be considered supersition, right?
We're all programed mentally - by our surroundings (obviously media)... but also our parents, their parents etc.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:14 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,605,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
...Suddenly, one day it came to me. I was doing it all wrong. I was reading the book, Improv wisdom and I realized that I wasn't really living. I was showing off, I wanted people to think I was happy. Now two years later, I find joy in the things I really enjoy. I enjoy many things, some of these things are not seen as normal or accepted completely. I do them because I enjoy them. It wasn't easy at first. We are bred by society to follow the crowd and do like others. We are told we need to fit in and be like by people. This is wrong. We need to be ourselves. We need not worry about other people being comfortable with the life we choose.

I practice Reiki, and many other spiritual traditions. I meditate, have lucid dreams, and I study science, history, religion, and spiritualism. I love psychology, philosophy and History. I don't care what my highly Christian family thinks. I do it because it makes me happy. It makes me feel like me.
That's great!
I'm discovering similarly... I used to try to please others, as if they had the key to my happiness. And I do think it's good to be open to others' influence, but I also realize my self-esteem, meaning & happiness are an internal (mental/emtional) process within me.

It can be a challenge though, when many around you are putting you down for it... it tests your ability to care more for what God thinks (& the kingdom of God within) than what others think.
I recently read a quote about this (author unknown)...
"When the crashing waves of mortality & the opinion of others tend to measure our self worth, we can find strength & comfort in looking Heavenward & there remembering our noble Heritage."

Old 09-27-2011, 12:22 PM

12,126 posts, read 8,102,399 times
My advice is to turn the TV off. Make love to you wife as often as possible. Like others have said volunteer some where. Ride a bike,walk,etc. Get outside!! If you can't find anything to do outside then your in deep...... In the end only YOU can change your life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality