U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 03:38 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,715,460 times

Advertisements

As I sit typing this, contemplating wether to open a bottle of wine - A growing sense of futility is creeping over me - I sense I have not experienced any true emotional depths or real depth of experience - just bland mundane experiences - the new job, the new car, the marriage, the nights out - all become old. I want the next high - that feeling you get when you go travelling when your 18, and everything is new, that sense of wonder and awe - the sense of optimism for the future.

On this forum - i discussed my experience my experience with Mormons, and the good feeling I got, that feeling of awakening, - but I just can't take reading scriptures seriously of any religion.

have read plenty of the new age/self development books- but again never thought they were believable - and they just make me sick to read the stuff, and can't bear people who are into it. The whole "goal setting" thing for every aspect of your life is for bland corporate types.

I feel like life is passing me by - I want something, but what I don't know.

Career/Corporate lifestyle is generally boring and frustrating - but bearable, althought I am far being a "career" type, the environments sickens me at times.
Always flirting with the idea of a Business, but lacking action and the real "knowhow".
Relationship - Stable, but I don't think a new one is the answer. Perhaps time to start a family to care for someone else.

Studying something new - possibly since I spend large amounts of reading
A Few Friends, never been great at making lots of friends
A few hobbies, like football, running - and marathon running(although thats slipping)

All I know is I can't continue with this rut and lacking purpose, and point to my life. I just find people who are perfectly satisfied with job, tv programmes just incredibly boring and irritating. Has ANYONE got a sense higher purpose rather than dull conformity.

I need Real Purpose, Real Feeling, Real Emotion - not mundane corporate "passion" for your career, or hobbies that your not that interested in - something that makes me want to jump out of bed in the morning. My life is lacking any real excitement.

Last edited by mikeyking; 09-23-2011 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: update
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 03:47 PM

13,958 posts, read 9,749,911 times
OK, here's what you do. Turn your hands palms upwards, look down and say...... 'Therein lies the answer'.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:50 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,623,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
...Has ANYONE got a sense higher purpose rather than dull conformity.

I need Real Purpose, Real Feeling, Real Emotion - not mundane corporate "passion" for your career, or hobbies that your not that interested in - something that makes me want to jump out of bed in the morning. My life is lacking any real excitement.
I feel similarly.
Except I love goals & think that's the answer, but it doesn't have to be on those Franklin planner pages. lol

What helped me recently to get that drive & sense of purpose back was to run a race. It taught me the satisfaction of working toward something, persevering through the monotony & pain & accomplishing something beyond what I thought I could do.
What also helps me are my children - experiencing life through their eyes is exciting - although also nerve-wracking at times. lol

I used to kid around by saying, "Whatever you do, remember one thing" as I said goodbye to someone. I liked to see their puzzled look. Yet, there's meaning too... life doesn't feel as much like work when we have a passion we're pursuing. Yet that "one thing" is different for everyone.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:51 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Life is supposed to be exciting? You seem to be treating your existence as time at 6 flags.

You mentioned marriage, but not another word about your wife.......... why?

Volunteer, go help build homes with habitat for humanity, volunteer at the local food bank, what every your skills and time make sensible, or better yet do something completely out of your element, something that scares you, something that challenges you.

Take a look and honest look at your expectations............. why do you think it should be non-stop excitement?

Old 09-23-2011, 03:52 PM

1,109 posts, read 1,834,560 times
Lifes hard, and then you die.

To blunt?
Well, go sit and meditate with some boring Buddhists and your life will seem more exciting.

Last edited by Aeroman; 09-23-2011 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: The truth is often told in jest.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:57 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Lifes hard, and then you die.

To blunt?
Well, go sit and meditate with some boring Buddhists and your life will seem more exciting.
but you still die

Old 09-23-2011, 03:57 PM

6,039 posts, read 9,261,527 times
OP: if you're not finding enjoyment in life, then the answer doesn't lie anywhere but inside you. You and you alone have control over your life and destiny. What you choose to do with it is up to you. You only have one life, there's nothing to experience after you die. Do you really want to waste your life this way? You live in an incredibly interesting, awesome world. Go experience some of it.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:02 PM

1,431 posts, read 1,425,748 times
I have to agree with Asheville Native (I can't believe I just said that!) You need to get "outside" yourself and doing some things for others less fortunate than you is a good way to get over the "blahs" you're experiencing. And revisit the spiritual part of your life. I believe there is a part of everyone thhat is searching for God, whether they realize it or not. It's a journey, and it's more exciting than anything the physical or intellectual world can offer. Start with the Gospel of John.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
but you still die
Yep, we learn to accept things like that.

As we all should.

Cheers,
Aeroman

Old 09-23-2011, 04:23 PM

You know, don’t just take any one of our advice. Try it all.

You could even order some tapes from GldnDRule, that would spice up your life some.

Take a tandem skydive jump.

Or get your pilots license and then learn aerobatics. It’s the next best thing to sex.

Note:
Don’t have kids just to get rid of bordom. That will be a big mistake.

Last edited by Aeroman; 09-23-2011 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: I’m never bored, even when I’m doing nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality