U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 04:43 PM

2,949 posts, read 2,252,222 times

Advertisements

Fourteen-year-old Dakota Ary spent most of the day Tuesday serving an in-school suspension. It was punishment for discussion in his German class at Fort Worth’s Western Hills High School.
“We were talking about religions in Germany. I said, ‘I’m a Christian. I think being a homosexual is wrong,’” he said. “It wasn’t directed to anyone except my friend who was sitting behind me. I guess [the teacher] heard me. He started yelling. He told me he was going to write me an infraction and send me to the office.”

Read more on myFOXdfw.com: Student Suspended for Saying Gay Is Wrong (http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/education/092111-student-suspended-for-saying-gay-is-wrong#ixzz1Yon19glJ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 04:58 PM

8,242 posts, read 10,002,985 times
More PC from the always intolerant left.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:09 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,237,161 times
I think the problem is that the kid was thinking in school, a rebellious trouble maker for sure.....

Old 09-23-2011, 08:12 PM

12,430 posts, read 14,565,228 times
gabfest...a schools only as good as the teachers...repression is their key weapon...

Old 09-23-2011, 08:28 PM

12,904 posts, read 18,454,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I think the problem is that the kid was thinking in school....
ka-ching!! Teaching the kids not to challenge authority under any circumstance is one of the most important lessons in public education.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:54 AM

34,508 posts, read 8,896,494 times
It's always difficult to decide where free speech becomes unacceptable. If he had said that he truly believes God intended blacks to work as slaves, I doubt that he would have got much sympathy. I suspect that, because Gay rights is a battlegrounds simply because of religious views (the practical ones don't stand up) this was picked up by the theists as an example of 'Oh, they are persecuting us for our belief'. Well, perhaps this kid had been taught by his parents and church to persecute some other people and maybe deserved what he got.

How do you like that, PC gone mad mongers?

Old 09-24-2011, 07:09 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,423,986 times
Quote:
District spokesman Clint Bond said the Fort Worth Independent School District does not comment on specific employee or student-related issues.
So, we are only getting the kid's story; his spin on why he was suspended.

It might be, he was suspended for disrupting the class and arguing with the teacher after the teacher got onto him. It may be that he happened to be saying homosexuality is wrong at the time he was disrupting the class. So, to get sympathy from his mom, he tells her that he was punished for saying homosexuality was wrong, when he was really punished for disrupting the class and then arguing with the teacher when he got onto him for disrupting the class.

That is pure speculation on my part. Many things could have happened. We just don't know because we only heard his side of what happened. But, of course Fox News is going to run with the one-sided story because it promotes their "conservatives are being persecuted" theme, regardless of whether it is true or just some kid's inaccurate spin on why he got in trouble.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:19 AM

9,104 posts, read 4,528,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
So, we are only getting the kid's story; his spin on why he was suspended.

It might be, he was suspended for disrupting the class and arguing with the teacher after the teacher got onto him. It may be that he happened to be saying homosexuality is wrong at the time he was disrupting the class. So, to get sympathy from his mom, he tells her that he was punished for saying homosexuality was wrong, when he was really punished for disrupting the class and then arguing with the teacher when he got onto him for disrupting the class.

That is pure speculation on my part. Many things could have happened. We just don't know because we only heard his side of what happened. But, of course Fox News is going to run with the one-sided story because it promotes their "conservatives are being persecuted" theme, regardless of whether it is true or just some kid's inaccurate spin on why he got in trouble.
Give me a break. You think that teacher routinely suspends students who speak out of turn ? You think a principal often overturns a teacher's decision ? This is simple. The teacher overreacted to the student's unpopular, offensive to some, opinion.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:28 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,423,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Give me a break. You think that teacher routinely suspends students who speak out of turn ? You think a principal often overturns a teacher's decision ? This is simple. The teacher overreacted to the student's unpopular, offensive to some, opinion.
Not for speaking out of turn, but for arguing with the teacher afterwards. If the kid got suspended by the teacher for just stating his opinion at an appropriate time, the principal would have overturned the entire suspension, not just reduce it by one day. The principal could have agreed with the teacher that the student's disruptive behavior and arguing with the teacher was worthy of suspension, but that 2 days was a little too severe, so reduced it to a day. We don't even know if that happened because all we have is the kid telling us that happened.

You said, "This is simple. The teacher overreacted to the student's unpopular, offensive to some, opinion." It is not simple because we only have the kid's point of view, who might be motivated to spin the story so that instead of his mom being mad at him, she is mad at the teacher and school.

The reporter could have at least interviewed some of the kid's classmates to find out whether they understood the interaction between the student and the teacher the same way the student is now presenting it.

Last edited by Hueffenhardt; 09-24-2011 at 07:36 AM..

Old 09-24-2011, 07:38 AM

5,426 posts, read 5,570,594 times
I would like to see the school districts side of the story, because the religious right has a history of spinning the details of stories like this. The school board usually has a policy that wont allow them to comment, and so a false version of the story is what gets reported.

That said, IF the story is as reported, then the school is obviously wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality