Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:25 PM

9 posts, read 17,908 times

Advertisements

How do you deal with conflict as a Christian? How do you handle people you disagree with? I currently coach a sports team (high school) and do not get along with the co-coach. We have differing philosophies and I have already been criticized for doing something I thought was right(phoning a parent about playing time). I feel like I would have way less stress if I just pulled the plug, but I also realize I have made this comittment to the school. I really hate the politics of this.
Any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 06:22 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,035,603 times
Unfortunately, much of Christian teaching is passive in nature - and I am talking about the words of Jesus, not Paul. Due to the very nature of how Jesus taught, integration into the world was not one of his key points: he was more worried about getting one's act together in preparation for the end-times.
You're coming into a common modern situation where many believers start 'leaving their beliefs at home' when they find them unhelpful. And they can be very unhelpful at times! A religion that teaches 'turn the other cheek' and 'do unto others as you would have others do unto you' can be extremely difficult to use as a guideline to dealing with today's dog-eat-dog work environments.

All I can suggest is that you might want to dig a little deeper into the Old Testament writings - the Wisdom Literature, to be specific.
Read Proverbs to see how one should act around his fellows - are you perceived as someone who should be emulated by others?
Read Ecclesiastes to learn if there's value in what you're doing. Is sports something that is dragging you away from your faith? Is it even worth doing?

If all else fails, learn from the many great millitary and governmental leaders in the Old Testament and see if you can follow their lead. Many of them were intensely flawed, but they are ideal lessons for us today in what not to do. They may give some pointers in effective leadership, as well.

Good luck!

Old 09-24-2011, 06:52 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,137,054 times
What do you think an atheist would do? Kill him?
I suggest learning how to deal with people is the same regardless of whether one is Christian or not.
There are many suggestions if you google the question.
One big one to remember is....you can't change another person, you can only change yourself (how you react to them)

Old 09-24-2011, 07:09 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,129,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsport78 View Post
How do you deal with conflict as a Christian? How do you handle people you disagree with? I currently coach a sports team (high school) and do not get along with the co-coach. We have differing philosophies and I have already been criticized for doing something I thought was right(phoning a parent about playing time). I feel like I would have way less stress if I just pulled the plug, but I also realize I have made this comittment to the school. I really hate the politics of this.
Any help?
Usuallly, to maintain friendship with people you disagree with in any area, you just don't talk about the things you have disagreements with.
As an example, I am a rather conservative Republican, but my daughter is a very liberal d'RAT. We don't talk politics and we get along beautifully.
I live in a community that is quite liberal and 'gay', I knew some gay teachers, there are a lot of gay members in our athletic club. I'm not gay, but I have a lot of gay friends. As long as they act just as friends and don't let their gayness get in my face, we get along great.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:50 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,991,148 times
"How do you handle people you disagree with", it is ok to disagree with a person, it is not ok to escalate it to a point of hostility. Only you control you, that is unless you choose to hand it over to someone else. You control how you act and react, that is the only thing you do have control over.
One other thing, don't make a persons short comings your own, put the problem where the problem belongs.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:57 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,668,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsport78 View Post
Any help?
How do your philosophies differ?

Old 09-24-2011, 03:39 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,035,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
What do you think an atheist would do? Kill him?
I suggest learning how to deal with people is the same regardless of whether one is Christian or not.
There are many suggestions if you google the question.
One big one to remember is....you can't change another person, you can only change yourself (how you react to them)
I think thousands of years of human history has shown that other people can definately be changed to one's own viewpoints - given the right methods are employed. If everyone stopped doing that, and just changed their own view of others - well, not much would get done.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:53 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,245,980 times
johnsport78...criticism is something you can take or leave...your choice....best thing you can do is ignore it...just do what you're going to do....by the way..being a christian really has nothing to do with how people handle conflict...not at all...

Old 09-25-2011, 06:33 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,093,481 times
So, you're asking "WWJD?" ehh?

Quick humororous sidenote: My wife wears a WWJD bracelet and gets mad when I tell people who don't know that it stands for "We Want Jack Daniels."

But I digest: back to your dilemna. You just need to have a good ol' fashioned sit-down with your co-coach. See if you two can hash things out. I'm sure you both have the same goals in mind, so maybe he'll suprise you when you two talk andyou can get things ironed out.
If that doesn't work, and he refuses the sitdown or is obstinate and hostile about it, refusing to discuss your differences rationally and calmly, you need to bring in a third party, like maybe your A.D.

Best of luck; God Bless.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:31 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,034,391 times
Although you asked for the Christian view. I'm going to be the Muslim Buttinsky. In Islam we are a bit on the stoic side. We see all challenges as part of the test and lessons of life. We have the freedom to make choices and we are given the ability to face any challenge we meet. But, we will be judged on the choices we make in handling our challenges. I prefer to see them as lessons on learning how to handle adverse reactions in the most peaceful manner possible. Part of learning how to disagree without malice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality