U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 02:58 PM

1,587 posts, read 2,662,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Not as long as some folks feel compelled to tell others that they are praying for them to change their minds.

It's a real nice thing, but it also says that the atheist is somehow lacking. And they don't happen to feel that way.
If it's a real nice thing, then why can't we get along? Isn't the intent what matters? Why in the world would it offend you if someone was (in their opinion) doing a good thing for you?

Old 08-20-2007, 03:06 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,844,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Isn't the intent what matters? Why in the world would it offend you if someone was (in their opinion) doing a good thing for you?
The intent definitely matters, but so does the reasoning behind it.
Wouldn't you be offended if someone told you that they are praying to their god to help you find your way away from Christ, who their god says has it all wrong? If not offended, wouldn't you feel something besides simple gratitude?
Or would you simply be content and happy that they are "doing a good thing for you"?

Old 08-20-2007, 03:12 PM

6,951 posts, read 15,980,605 times
Jazzedforhim......sure it's a good thing. But they can pray for someone quietly without informing them of the actions. It could be considered condescending in that it implies that the one being prayed over needs help. And in the case of the atheist, "help" means, Change your mind because Christians don't agree with you.

Some humans just don't take well to that sort of thing and telling a person that they are being prayed for can easily cause them to dig in and refuse to change. Do you want to risk that?

Do you see my point that telling a person may not accomplish what you want? Pray quietly at home if you feel strongly about it.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Jazzedforhim......sure it's a good thing. But they can pray for someone quietly without informing them of the actions. It could be considered condescending in that it implies that the one being prayed over needs help. And in the case of the atheist, "help" means, Change your mind because Christians don't agree with you.

Some humans just don't take well to that sort of thing and telling a person that they are being prayed for can easily cause them to dig in and refuse to change. Do you want to risk that?

Do you see my point that telling a person may not accomplish what you want? Pray quietly at home if you feel strongly about it.
Yes, I can see your point. I can totally see how it might sound that way. I only bring it up when I've already told the person privately that I'm praying and they are cool with it. But I see how that condescending tone can be perceived.

Still, I think there are a lot worse things to be mad about.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
The intent definitely matters, but so does the reasoning behind it.
Wouldn't you be offended if someone told you that they are praying to their god to help you find your way away from Christ, who their god says has it all wrong? If not offended, wouldn't you feel something besides simple gratitude?
Or would you simply be content and happy that they are "doing a good thing for you"?
I don't think I would be offended...but as Pad brought up...I can see how it might be said in a condensending way and not a nice way.

Sigh...I wish I could just talk to y'all. I really do pray from having been there myself and just caring is all.

You guys have really made me think about this...it really can come off wrong.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, I can see your point. I can totally see how it might sound that way. I only bring it up when I've already told the person privately that I'm praying and they are cool with it. But I see how that condescending tone can be perceived.

Still, I think there are a lot worse things to be mad about.
p.s. We still should be able to get along don't ya think? Come on....admit it...you want to be friends with a Christian!

LOL...ok maybe I went a little too far there!

Old 08-20-2007, 03:34 PM

679 posts, read 962,458 times
Default It's a wonder we aren't negative

"Blessed are the cheesemakers
- cheesemakers?
Well it's not to be taken literally. Clearly it means all dairy producers" - Life of Brian

Ever hear the Chappelle bit where he says he loves the south because the racism is so pure? I'm feeling that today reading through this thread. Let's see what was expressed here:
Atheists are generally negative
Full of bitterness and vent
Comparable to bratty teens
Have a negative and aggressive view of life
Haven't educated themselves
Don't appreciate theists' prayers for them
Can do what they want since they have no one to answer to
and my favorite:
Don't appreciate that theists claim to have the only TRUTH

Alright so take big doses of that everyday along with hearing that in poll after poll we'd be the last minority ever to be elected to office, have 7 states which actually bar us from holding office and even testify in court, have to put up with blue laws, our money tampered with, the Pledge of Allegiance violated, kids having their Science educations threatened, certain Americans deprived of rights, political decisions dictated by religion, religious monuments placed in government buildings, atheists boys can't join the Boy Scouts, had a President not long ago claim we aren't patriots and aren't Americans, are perfectly fair game to vilify in the media, US soldiers being bullied and proselytized, catholics controlling the Supreme Court, precious time wasted in Presidential debates discussing faith, hearing our current President invoke god and "crusade" and of course watching theist fanatics blow up a government building and foreign theists flying planes into other buildings.

It's pretty remarkable we don't go all nutso on theists quite honestly.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:34 PM

6 posts, read 11,855 times
I'm an atheist. I'm not always negative. I'm just logical I'm also much more accepting and open minded than most religious people. I have nothing against people with religion, but my life is better without it. I do not believe in a higher being, and I'm all that much better for it. My life is going to be how it is because I made it that way. I can't just pray for it to change, and I can't be forgiven for what I've done. Everything I do is my own fault, and I will be judged by my fellow human beings for it. There is only one life to live, so I will live it right.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:35 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,844,788 times
Quote:
We still should be able to get along don't ya think? Come on....admit it...you want to be friends with a Christian!
Yes, we CAN get along...so long as we stop debating who is right and who needs help, etc.
I am an atheist with many Christian friends.
But those friendships (like any) would end if we stopped respecting each other. The way it works is that we respect each others beliefs DESPITE the differences.
We don't continually debate and try to find some "common ground" because there is not much religious common ground between a christian and an atheist.
I'm happy for anyone who tries to appreciate an opposite point of view from their own - but don't enter relationships expecting people to change. And don't form friendships with a view to convert your new friend. There is nothing more disrespectful.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:42 PM

6,951 posts, read 15,980,605 times
Sure!!! We can all get along and be friends. Just as long as we can recognize that we are all entitled to have differing opionions.

For example, I consider myself a Christian. Not everyone here would agree. I can handle that. People are entitled to have differing opinions. It's called Thinking for One's Self.

When someone looks at a problem intellectually and comes to a conclusion about it, even though it may not satisfy others, it's THEIR conclusion and I think that those thoughts should be respected even though they are not in line with others.

That's why I discuss (OK, some would say argue) things. Opinions are important. So is THINKING and trying to see how others feel.

Carry on Jazzedforhim! I'm rootin' for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality