U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 12:16 PM

78 posts, read 187,056 times

Advertisements

The story of Bel and the dragon is a very good apocryphal book tells of the story of Daniel whom is considered more as a "hero" than a true elite prophet of god....Here is the story.........

In what is modern day Judea Daniel is given as a mere slave as a child yet he grows up and is given much by the kings of the land. He becomes a seer and one of the greatest hero's in biblical history yet the story begins at the temple of the bel & the dragon. One evening a group of priests convince king Nebachadnezzar of something amazing. That the offerings to the god Bel have been eaten. The king was convinced and believed the priests....He begins to make anouncment at the table and tells his people "the gods have returned Alas! the gods have returned Alas! he cries. Then as everyone began to be convinced.....someone goes against him....

A man whom prays to one god not many his name daniel. As people began to surround him Nebachadnzzaar knew him and ask, Why do you not believe in Bel? Daniel replies you all have been decieved for why should the one true god pity you? Nebachadnezzar replies, I demand you to worship Bel if you do not I will send you into the lions den....So Daniel replies, the lions are beasts that fear us why should I be afraid of gods creation? I pray every day and night I will not bow to your idols!

Nebachadnezzar says, throw him in or for he has defied me and the gods! So Daniel began to scurmish around the den he wasn't afraid nor was he running soon he fell to his knees and said, Lord you shall save me from your creation for I shall prove that you exist for these people shall not go towards the light that you hath created foy my people!

As daniels prayer was answered a great earthquake apeared out of nowhere and the earth began to tremble and the pillars of Bel began to evaporate. Then the lions have become scared and protected Daniel from them whom where the priests. Nebachadnezzar said to daniel If you can prove your god is greater than mine I will give you your kingdom back!

As the day god sent an angel his name Gabriel and told Daniel Let it be heard that the false Bel does not exist! Use the ashes that have been offered to Bel you may see who enters the temple at night for you shall see who enters for it is no god! This is the synogouge of the serpent(sometimes the devil). As Daniel began to make his plans to foil the priests others began to hate him yet he will be yet forgiven..

A day later the Priests went into the temple and began to eat of the offering to the false god! As the day passed the day of lamentation has begun as the Jews began to pray for Daniel for it is the day that the doors shall be open.......

As Daniel began to walk in he showed the footprints of the "priests of bel" Nebachadnezzar has become silent with fear and found that Daniel is right and the Idols that have filled his life became of dread and he demanded that all of the priests be killed and freed all of the Jews and brought them peace and kept his dire promise but later on he would regret this happening for his son Belshazzar would try to reclaim his fathers throne in Israel!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 12:39 PM

6,824 posts, read 4,866,824 times
The Book of Daniel and The Book of Revelation are the primary eschatological (ie end-time) prophetic books of the scriptures. There is not a lack of people attempting to either discredit, historical, or allegorical these two books. The same thing is going on with Paul as people are working vigorously in attempts to discredit him.

I guess I would to if it exposed me in a ~ seven year outline.

"These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so." Acts 17:11

Old 09-26-2011, 01:47 PM

Default I know this by heart

The book of Daniel is alot differentthan bel and the dragon this book is a more symbolic book which tells of daniel in the beginning in fact predicts the fall of nebchadnezzar and the rise of his son Belshazzar predicted by Daniel himself

Old 09-26-2011, 01:59 PM

5,426 posts, read 5,569,083 times
If I was Frodo, I probably would have just kept the ring myself instead of throwing into Mr. Doom.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:54 PM

Smile Hey this is real

This book predicted two major events The fall of nebachadnezzar and the rise of his son Belshazzar.....It also predicted the destruction of the 2nd temple and many respected this book at one time. It is close to the other apocryphal book of macabees which is more historical than religious. The book of macabees in fact details the rise of Alexander the great and even the fall of Jerusalem which preceded it during the hellenistic age known as the dominant religion of the greeks.

During this time The Jews where being tempted by other faiths so they tried there best to condone these practices but they end up failing and creating what most might add as Great hypocrisy! Which created tiny little jewish sects who where anti goverment and sought a new religion founded upon freedom and love. Much of our new testament was written about these prophecies. Jesus predicted the destruction of the 2nd temple as well as in bel & the dragon except it wasn't babylon (destroyed the first temple) that destroyed it it was really as jesus thought the romans(the second temple destruction).

So much of the apocrypha predicted strange yet suttle ideologies to whom the Jews highly accepted at one time. Many books are now read even today more than ever. Great books I encourage you to read are:
1) book of enoch
2) the life of adam and eve
3) Jubilees
4) Sirech & the song of the three holy children
5) book of tobit
6) 1 & 2 & 3 macabees
7) the book of Judith
8) Testament of solomon
9) Bel and the dragon(of course)
10) The book of wisdom

Old 09-26-2011, 04:18 PM

3,488 posts, read 3,148,042 times
Daniel is only considered a major prophet in the Christian canon - where he is placed among the prophetical books. The Jewish canon considered him more of a seer, than a prophet, and accordingly placed him among the Writings - not the Prophets. Another reason for placing him among the Writings, is that the Book of Daniel was completed around 164 BC according to most scholars who study the work, and the Jews responsible for putting together the Tanakh were well aware of this. This makes the Book of Daniel, most likely, the last completed book that made it into the canon. It's a strange mixture of Hebrew and Aramaic, as a little tidbit - yet again showing the late composition (the Aramaic).
To be correct about it, the writers of this book wrote it many years after the events narrated within it occurred. The idea that an actual Daniel lived during the exile, predicted some of the events attributed to him - does not hold up to a close scrutiny of the work. It's more likely that it builds upon the legendary Dan'el mentioned elsewhere in the Tanakh, and it's very possible that this Dan'el is a direct inspiration of the Ugaritic Dan'el from that famous epic. (The Jewish Study Bible, - Introduction to Daniel, Lawrence M. Wills, pp. 1640-1642)

Bel and the Dragon is a fascinating story which comes from the 14th chapter of the Greek version of the Book of Daniel. This (and other stories of Daniel) are found in the LXX (Septuagint) version of the book, and in Theodotian's 2nd Century AD (or CE) revision of the same. It's said that these stories might have circulated independently and were later added to the Book of Daniel. It's possible there were Hebrew or Aramaic originals - but we do not have any, and this is probably why they were not included in the Jewish version of Daniel. There was an active bias against Greek works being included in the canon. (The New Oxford Annotated Apocrypha, Augmented 3rd Edition - pp. 188-200)
One of the fascinating aspects of this small story is Bel - an epithet of Marduk, one of the chief dieties of the Babylonians. You can find this name used theophorically in several of the prominent names mentioned in both Bel and the Dragon and the main Book of Daniel: the author of Daniel sees Daniel's Babylonian name Belteshazzar as using Bel, and the son Belshazzar also seems to share this divine name. Some try to explain away Daniel's name as meaning "protect his life", but this could merely be orthodox defense. Curious how the two names are so similar in form, eh? Notice that most Jewish exiles adopted Babylonian names, especially when in court service. There was nothing strange in this. Joseph did the same thing in Egypt, in the Book of Genesis.

Anyways - read the story for yourself: it's well worth it! It's a great example of ancient writers poking fun at other people's idols, in preference to their own god. And if you're really interested in Daniel, check out the Ugaritic Epic of Aqhat where Dan'el (or Dan'il) is a major player. The name means 'El is Judge, referring to the top god of Ugaritic pantheon, and later used in Israelite worship in such names as 'El Shaddai, 'El Elyon, 'El Roi, and the strange 'elohim - the common word for God in the Tanakh.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:43 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,236,543 times
I believe, among us Catholics, "Bel and the Dragon" is deemed deuterocanonical and not "apocryphal." As is Sirach, Tobit, Judith, the first two Macabees, and Wisdom. Eastern Orthodoxy also recognizes those, third Macabees (I think), and the Prayer of Manessah.

Catholics and Orthodox went with the Septuagint for the Old Testament, as did many or perhaps most early Christians. The Codex Sinaiticus, I think, was largely Septuagint. The Reformation preferred the Jewish canon. Although the Protestant canon of the OT also looks to be similar to that of the early-Christians Melito and Athanasius, except that neither include Esther and Athanasius includes Baruch.

CHURCH FATHERS: Letter 39 (Athanasius)

Old 09-26-2011, 04:58 PM

Default Finally someone who understands the truth

Yes I am dearly thankful someone doesn't turn biblical books into terrible un-ethical concepts of thought. I have always admired many biblical books and I even read the books that are considered heretical even though much of Islam has built on heretical teachings but I believe that any "book" written in the name of "Yahweh" ELohim are the true books in that manner. I know that these books are sacred yet people misinterpret the Words (apocrypha) with the end of the world it really means the hidden books or what the books where meant for is to hide knowledge deemed to contraversal for mankind to comprehend as the true light of the world!

Most people on here make fun of biblical books and are deemed to be more agnostic than a thoughtful believer I will also summarize more biblical books......as well as "bel & the dragon" for their are in fact many......

Old 09-26-2011, 09:06 PM

12,899 posts, read 18,446,350 times
So honest question here.. why do you think the Apocrypha was left out of the "offical" bible, Moloch?

Old 09-27-2011, 07:52 AM

Smile Their is no answer why!

I think it was because the stories where to hard to believe to be put in the biblical canon. In fact not all the apocrypha where considered heretical only a small amount mainly the "nag hammadi library" which contained gnostic books including "gospel of judas", "gospel of mary" & the gospel of light which taught that Jesus was just a man not divine but the gnostics basically came from what is now Alexandria Egypt!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality