U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 03:30 PM

6,249 posts, read 9,650,692 times

Advertisements

Who else thinks the bible drastically needs to be rewritten?

That's like fixing your wrecked car with duct tape. Just get a new car (or better yet, learn to live without one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 03:36 PM

928 posts, read 1,202,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Who else thinks the bible drastically needs to be rewritten?

That's like fixing your wrecked car with duct tape. Just get a new car (or better yet, learn to live without one).
more like keeping a life long camel jockey out of a car!

Old 09-27-2011, 03:41 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,224,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo-50 View Post
the sad thing many don't understand is Jehovah's word through man, does apply to us, (Rom.15:4- For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope). now we can't sacrifice animals anymore. because Jesus has been born before our time. so we now go through Jesus when we ,(suppose), to pray to his Father,IN JESUS name.

hence Jesus saying...(John 14:6 -Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me).

the animal sacrifice was in a sense a mediator between imperfect man and perfect God. we don't them anymore. so some things don't apply,yt some still do. and no matter how words are added and removed. Jehovah still made sure the most important things for us to know remains.

those men of old who Jehovah picked to write his words down,(2Cor.3:5,
1Thess.2:13, 2Tim.3:16). even if men today rewrote the bible, it wouldn't be from God. because he already picked those he wanted, he wouldn't fee the need to have others rewrite his words. especially those who don't even acknowledge him, and many don't!

many don't even serve him as Jesus said we should do, (Matt.7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven).
and
(Matt.12:50-For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother). peace

Adults that wish to be takes seriously really should learn to use their own words to express their own thoughts........... Oh yea, first you have to have an original thought.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:43 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,224,691 times
You can polish a pile of dog poop until it shines like a brand new penny, but it is still a pile of poop.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:33 PM

9,415 posts, read 11,272,190 times
I don't think the bible needs to be rewritten at all. I think it needs to be taken for what it is, a book full of myths and untruths, a book written by men to control people, a book for ancient times and a book for sheep who can't think for themselves.

Accept the bibles true meaning

Old 09-27-2011, 04:56 PM

4,172 posts, read 5,856,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I feel it drastically needs to be re-shelved, under 'Mythology'.
(can't rep etc etc)

Exactly!! Reshelved / re-classified but not rewritten. Mythology or fiction sections will do just fine.

Rewriting will cause a lot of bloodshed - just look at how nasty the interpretation fights are among christians. Let us save some lives.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:18 PM

656 posts, read 901,079 times
I vote rewrite. With sparkly vampires, teen wizards, and Jesus as a lovable 20-something slacker.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:51 PM

3,488 posts, read 3,147,309 times
The Bible, when read in the context of it's Near Eastern background, is a fascinating collection of writings that encompass many types of literature and gives a unique window into how Judaism and Christianity formed. Only when one tries to rip these writings out of their original context and tries to pretend they have a direct message for modern people living thousands of years later, do people feel it needs to be rewritten to meet modern expectations. It's similar to the many books that praise Athens as the greatest city-state ever, because it had democracy - but condemn it for endorsing slavery, and less-than-ideal women's rights: all these things are modern political correctness being projected 2500 years into the past. It was what it was.

Would you rewrite the Epic of Gilgamesh? What about the Illiad? Hesiod? Aristotle? Chaucer? Where the Sidewalk Ends?

The fact of the matter is - it was written. It influenced the world. It cannot be undone. History has happened. It's one of the most fascinating and controversial works ever collected, and that's where it's appeal is for many people. But to rewrite it, because it's been the subject of endless interpretations that can drag any meaning necessary out of it to suit any situation? Bah.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:13 PM

15,134 posts, read 8,222,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
There are more versions of the Bible than Heinz has varieties, one more isn't going to help the situation.
Versions? No. Translations? Yes.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:03 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,605,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
How about DRASTICALLY understood correctly ...
Agreed, except each understands according to their life's experiences & learning.
The bible is not a history book, it's a book of parables for spiritual lessons applicable to everyone, if taken as lessons, not literally.
Quote:
GOD INCORPORATED sucks the life out of it's patron's and leads them to hell with love!
True, for many, but not all. According to a study... (my paraphrasing)...
Those who take religion with the grain of salt & embrace hope & love instead of fear & shame, actually do better (health-wise) than those who don't have religion in their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality