U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-03-2011, 12:44 AM
 
16,438 posts, read 18,531,865 times
Reputation: 9490

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
All these things can be corroborated by secondary extra-Biblical sources.
It is, rather, those extra-Biblical sources that can be corroborated by the Bible. Let God be true and every man a liar.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2011, 12:53 AM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,254,280 times
Reputation: 8261
Quote:
Originally Posted by branfan View Post
i think you're wrong for saying this. you don't know what people are doing. i'm sure that every christians doesn't do that. i mean come on, do you really believe that every Christian does that?
Yes I do, it is clearly demonstrated by people fighting like children over what their book of ancient superstition says, yet they all are holding the same book in their hand.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 12:57 AM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,254,280 times
Reputation: 8261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I absolutely do, as well as many other Christians. I fear you are burdened by too much learning. Worldly knowledge can hinder faith, and faith is by far the more important.
Then you agree your hypothesis also indicates that faith is willful ignorance. Given the choice why would anyone choose willful ignorance, it is such a cowardly path.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 04:24 AM
 
16,438 posts, read 18,531,865 times
Reputation: 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Then you agree your hypothesis also indicates that faith is willful ignorance. Given the choice why would anyone choose willful ignorance, it is such a cowardly path.
The wisdom of the world is foolishness in the eyes of God.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 04:56 AM
 
3,488 posts, read 3,153,023 times
Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I absolutely do, as well as many other Christians. I fear you are burdened by too much learning. Worldly knowledge can hinder faith, and faith is by far the more important.
If having too much learning about the Bible is a sin - then I suppose I'm guilty.
Every single translation of the Bible you read is burdened by "too much learning" - do you think a bunch of illiterate, uneducated bumpkins sat down one day to release a new translation, moved by the Spirit only? No - even the King James Version was made by highly literate, educated "wordly" men working with older languages, manuscripts, etc.

The problem here is that the average believer doesn't take their belief into a career - if they do that, they usually attend seminary or college, spend time working with the original languages, learning the history and context of the Bible and it's transmission through the ages. None of this can be done in a vacuum.

Paul knew the dangers of wordly knowledge very well. Faith is only a virtue if it's used in absence of knowledge. Example: I have no evidence that God exists, so I must have Faith and believe in Him. That is Faith.
Being shown opposite evidence to a belief, however, and continuing to cling to a certain belief is not Faith. That's not what he was talking about.

Please don't use the old, tired faith vs education argument. If it weren't for worldy men - you wouldn't even have a Bible to read.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 05:01 AM
 
3,488 posts, read 3,153,023 times
Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It is, rather, those extra-Biblical sources that can be corroborated by the Bible. Let God be true and every man a liar.

Wrong. God didn't write the Bible - so this isn't an issue of "God verses man" and how Divine authorship proves the veracity of the Bible.

Apparantly you've missed out on the last 100 years of Biblical Archaeology and how it has attempted to prove the Bible - only to find that it does more damage to fundamentalist beliefs, then helping bolster them.

If you're going to make trite statements - at least back them up with a single scrap of evidence, rather than repeating little inspirational sayings you saw on someone's shirt, or something parroted by a Sunday School teacher with the historical background of an average 4th grader.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 05:05 AM
 
3,488 posts, read 3,153,023 times
Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The wisdom of the world is foolishness in the eyes of God.
Then you should remove your status: Egality, Fraternity, Liberty: it's the motto of a people fueled by philosophical rejection of God and Church, among other things. The French Revolution didn't start because it was something God wanted. Voltaire was more influential in that area, then God.

Again - more trite sayings with no substance. If we wanted to read this, we would drive past a Church and read their clever billboards that make us chuckle and prove nothing.

God created the World, supposedly. Wisdom was with God in the very beginning, and she calles to all men. Don't be mad that some of us actually heeded her call...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 05:10 AM
 
34,636 posts, read 8,924,012 times
Reputation: 4804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It is, rather, those extra-Biblical sources that can be corroborated by the Bible. Let God be true and every man a liar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The wisdom of the world is foolishness in the eyes of God.

Oh man that was my guffaw for the day.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 05:13 AM
 
3,488 posts, read 3,153,023 times
Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Oh man that was my guffaw for the day.
I think he's writing his own little book of Proverbs to Use Against Them Intellectual So-and-Sos....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 11:29 AM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,600 posts, read 10,308,564 times
Reputation: 2348
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Then you should remove your status: Egality, Fraternity, Liberty: it's the motto of a people fueled by philosophical rejection of God and Church, among other things. The French Revolution didn't start because it was something God wanted. Voltaire was more influential in that area, then God.
Robespierre believed in a Supreme Being and had as little use for Athiests as for Christians.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top