U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:19 PM

38 posts, read 58,481 times

Advertisements

I feel like a lot of Moderator cut: deleted people take it too literally and that some of it doesn't apply to today... any agreements or disagreements?

Last edited by june 7th; 09-27-2011 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 12:30 PM

34,473 posts, read 8,888,267 times
I feel it drastically needs to be re-shelved, under 'Mythology'.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:34 PM

12,429 posts, read 14,559,489 times
I think it would be better had it NEVER been written.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:57 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,057,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieGeek View Post
I feel like a lot of Moderator cut: deleted people take it too literally and that some of it doesn't apply to today... any agreements or disagreements?
There are more versions of the Bible than Heinz has varieties, one more isn't going to help the situation.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:09 PM

10,494 posts, read 10,070,117 times
Rewritten!! How about never written it all but since there are so many versions of it now it might be best to take it and put it in some dusty museum and let it die the slow death of mythology and become an ancient example of what "Not to do"....... Just my opinion....

Old 09-27-2011, 02:15 PM

8,593 posts, read 10,297,838 times
Quote:

The bible is rich with possibilities for reinterpretation - depending on your POV thats either cause it is a human document made of contradictory layers, or because a wise God made it to evolve with our evolving society and needs. Or maybe a bit of both.

That struggle to make the bible relevant, indeed ever new and ever powerful, in its message through interpretation, is one of the majestic, wonderful things about rabbinic Judaism.

Biblical fundamentalism seems to have deprived many christians of that wonder.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:55 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,057,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
That struggle to make the bible relevant, indeed ever new and ever powerful, in its message through interpretation, is one of the majestic, wonderful things about rabbinic Judaism.
I couldn't invent a more satisfying life than to sit in any socratic teaching environment which the rabbinic style of study arose from, but this one of my key problems with religions. Call me a strict constructionist because unlike the Constitution, these writings are supposed to be the word of god, timeless and immutable.

Quote:
Well that's a fact. But thinking isn't their strong suit.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:23 PM

690 posts, read 395,247 times
Quote:
the sad thing many don't understand is Jehovah's word through man, does apply to us, (Rom.15:4- For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope). now we can't sacrifice animals anymore. because Jesus has been born before our time. so we now go through Jesus when we ,(suppose), to pray to his Father,IN JESUS name.

hence Jesus saying...(John 14:6 -Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me).

the animal sacrifice was in a sense a mediator between imperfect man and perfect God. we don't them anymore. so some things don't apply,yt some still do. and no matter how words are added and removed. Jehovah still made sure the most important things for us to know remains.

those men of old who Jehovah picked to write his words down,(2Cor.3:5,
1Thess.2:13, 2Tim.3:16). even if men today rewrote the bible, it wouldn't be from God. because he already picked those he wanted, he wouldn't fee the need to have others rewrite his words. especially those who don't even acknowledge him, and many don't!

many don't even serve him as Jesus said we should do, (Matt.7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven).
and
(Matt.12:50-For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother). peace

Old 09-27-2011, 03:24 PM

5,426 posts, read 5,569,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
The bible is rich with possibilities for reinterpretation - depending on your POV thats either cause it is a human document made of contradictory layers, or because a wise God made it to evolve with our evolving society and needs. Or maybe a bit of both.

That's an interesting take on it.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:26 PM

928 posts, read 1,202,654 times
Quote:
How about DRASTICALLY understood correctly ...

GOD INCORPORATED sucks the life out of it's patron's and leads them to hell with love!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality