U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2011, 10:28 PM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 14,013,256 times
Reputation: 6468

Advertisements

As Epicureanism is a "materialist" philosophy that rejects divine influence it might be of some interest here as this group is largely non-theist.

Epicureanism was sometimes caricatured as hedonism, but its emphasis on pleasure was more restrained and sophisticated than that. Christopher Hitchens has apparently expressed some identification with it as did Thomas Jefferson. Granted both those names make it more unappealing to me, but some of the Epicureans were more admirable from my perspective. Here's the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy on Epicurus and it likely links to other Epicureans.

Epicurus (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2011, 11:00 PM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
3,910 posts, read 1,609,246 times
Reputation: 655
Epicureanism is most certainly a deist philosophy. The goal of a human life should not be happiness. As the 14th Dali Lama has said: "Happiness is the road, not the far-off destination"
There is no reason to neglect pain and mental disturbance. They help you grow as a person, and get away from danger, and figure out that you were wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2011, 11:24 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 18,561,079 times
Reputation: 14472
And here I thought that we were going to talk about cooking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 01:24 PM
 
6,039 posts, read 6,062,121 times
Reputation: 3822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
And here I thought that we were going to talk about cooking...
Yeah, me too. Shame, really, because at least cooking is real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2012, 09:58 PM
 
2,019 posts, read 1,601,610 times
Reputation: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
As Epicureanism is a "materialist" philosophy that rejects divine influence it might be of some interest here as this group is largely non-theist.

Epicureanism was sometimes caricatured as hedonism, but its emphasis on pleasure was more restrained and sophisticated than that. Christopher Hitchens has apparently expressed some identification with it as did Thomas Jefferson. Granted both those names make it more unappealing to me, but some of the Epicureans were more admirable from my perspective. Here's the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy on Epicurus and it likely links to other Epicureans.

Epicurus (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
From the look of media & my feel for many (considering the many love songs played on radio), I think many are unknowingly Epicureanists - in the superficial (5 senses) sense.

Of course, we'd all like to be happy, but if that's the goal, than many are screwed because many are not even in position to have their basic needs met. Victor Frankl explained how when life is tough (as it was for those who suffered through the holocaust) - there can be a strength found if one can find meaning - not happiness, but meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2012, 10:34 PM
 
Location: South Wales, Yes, I'm, back!
16,022 posts, read 8,075,741 times
Reputation: 2669
I believe I read something once...along the lines of 'If your child asks for bread...(or it might have been a fish)..will you give him a lecture on how meaningful it is for him to go without?'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 02:26 PM
 
2,019 posts, read 1,601,610 times
Reputation: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I believe I read something once...along the lines of 'If your child asks for bread...(or it might have been a fish)..will you give him a lecture on how meaningful it is for him to go without?'
Yeah, that's my thought on missionary work.
I think it should be as the good Samaritan, rather than preaching/lecturing.
Lecturing is reserved for forums like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 08:40 PM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 14,013,256 times
Reputation: 6468
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I believe I read something once...along the lines of 'If your child asks for bread...(or it might have been a fish)..will you give him a lecture on how meaningful it is for him to go without?'
Makes me think of Maslow's hierarchy a bit. That you start with basic needs (food, shelter from the elements, etc) before getting to the higher issues of self-actualization or what have you. TV shows that focus on the higher end now are sometimes declared to be "white people problems" or "First World Problems" shows.

And I'm trying to limit myself to Sundays right now to finish my thesis and because I have a new job coming up. Also I'm focusing more on the Music, General US, or World forums because I think I may have ran out of new things to say here. I did post some Pentecost hymns/songs at the Christian segment.

I broke my "Sunday only rule" and popped in now because I'm pleased an interest was taken in my attempts at philosophy threads. Also because you seemed to express concern, elsewhere, that I was gone. I may start a philosophy thread this Sunday if I think of some philosophical question of interest or find something at the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy I like. I might also try for a more Attention-Getting title next time as just flatly naming the philosophy isn't even what we do with religion too often. Maybe "Hypocrites in Platonism" or "Would Immanuel Kant hate us?" or "Know the Enemy - Ayn Rand and Objectivism" or something. Although those sound too hostile to me, I'm not that into the "Why you're wrong and I'm right" kind of threads. So maybe working in homosexuality or slavery into it could be more neutral yet get attention. Like say "Marxism and Homosexuality" or "Romanticism and Slavery." Actually those two could maybe be a possibility as I have some things I could say on either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 02:00 PM
 
151 posts, read 61,290 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'm not that into the "Why you're wrong and I'm right" kind of threads.
so, your choices protrude out of pointlessness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 02:07 PM
 
151 posts, read 61,290 times
Reputation: 26
but, on topic, Epicurus is just a vain, rebellious, sophist bastard. to believe him you have to presume whatever you are naturally inclined to like is what you should yield to.

he's essentially an-anti philosopher. he's vain because he's a sophist, and he's rebellious because he refuses to seek truth.

He's a bastard because he clearly hates God, and skips over the law to get to the grace, because that's how HE likes it.

Pure.sophist.garbage. 0 grounded philosophy, supplimented with vain rhetoric=sophism. that is what epicureanism is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:03 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top