Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:05 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,336 times

Advertisements

First a little history. I was agnostic for most of my life, until I hit 30 years old when I became a Christian. As a result of my conversion, I became a totally different person over time. Back in the day however I was...well...not always doing the "right" thing. I was quite rebellious and dated a lot of musicians. Not that musicians are bad, don't get me wrong. I bring it up because we were a part of the "rock n roll" world...you know...sex, drugs and rock and roll. Up late while the band was playing at the Roxy and all the clubs on the Sunset strip. It was crazy.

I stopped listening to all that stuff once I was saved. Why? Well, this verse kind of says it.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Phil 4:8

So tonight I'm on my way home from an errand and scanning the radio and lo and behold there is Metallica....and so I start listening...and ya know before that song was over it was so werid because it just brought be right back to that "bad" place. Now I know why I stopped...and it's so strange how that feeling has lingered with me as the night goes on.

And, I think the contrary is true too. Now I listen to Christian or Country music. I think it effects your mood. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 10:20 PM

89 posts, read 300,037 times
Well, I listen to Trance music (it's like Dance music that you find at parties), and that makes me really happy. So yeah, music obviously has an effect on your mood.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:23 PM

14 posts, read 81,080 times
I agree 100%! The Pastor of my church is always saying that music is very influential, and that if you hear something long enough, whether music or words from someone, it starts to become part of you, and I agree. I am 27 and was not saved until I was 22. I listened to all kinds of music from Metallica to Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, you name it. Now I won't even give it the time. I didn't quit listening to it in the beginning and I noticed I wasn't growing in my faith as I thought I should have been, so I gave it up, and my faith has grown enormously!

Old 08-06-2007, 10:57 PM

743 posts, read 2,234,201 times
The only kind of music that I find intolerable is rap.

When my kids are in the car, we listen to the Christian station and "famiily friendly" top 40 stations.

Personally, I can listen to everything from The Cranberries to Bob Marley....The Bee Gees to CCR.....everything fom the Beatles to Billy Idol.....Barry Manilow to Prince....The Bangles to the Indigo Girls. I have very ecclectic taste.

I will agree that there is a strong association w/ music and memories.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:27 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,096 times
Music definitely effects your mood. However (and this is just for me), I haven't given it ALL up. I am much more careful to what I listen to, however, there is plenty of uplifting dance style music that I love to listen to.
If I listened and completely abided by what our pastor says, I would only be listening to OLD time hymns and classical. I have ALWAYS been a well rounded person when it comes to music. I LOVE music. I doubt I will ever give up ALL secular music (who knows, MAYBE God will lead me to someday). Music is too much a part of my life, but I am just very careful of what I do listen to. There is still SOME upbeat secular music that isn't out to rot the brain

Old 08-07-2007, 12:21 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Yep, music definitely affects one's mood...absolutely no doubt whatsoever. I feel really lifted up if I listen to good gospel music. For me, southern gospel is good, and choirs and gospel quartets can be really excellent. I agree with beth ann: rap is the worst of the worst...IMO it is just guys with NO talent, that can't sing, trying to make big bucks....it's awful.

Bud

Old 08-07-2007, 01:05 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,096 times
And I thought I was the only one that still liked Southern Gospel.
I also like country gospel. I love all kinds of music, but I agree, I am not hip on rap either

Old 08-07-2007, 04:55 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Default The heathen

With all due respect, I honestly had no idea that people would consider certain types of music to be a "bad" influence! --Then again, I'm just an old, retro-sophisticated hippie (question as to the "sophisticated") who loves nothing more than to blast that oldies radio station and be mentally and emotionally transported back in time. Of course music impacts mood; however, I would question the extent and the extreme of it's power, hence, my not understanding why some music would be regarded as a "bad" influence for some Christians.

...It just makes me want to align myself with musicians....

Old 08-07-2007, 06:24 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
With all due respect, I honestly had no idea that people would consider certain types of music to be a "bad" influence! --Then again, I'm just an old, retro-sophisticated hippie (question as to the "sophisticated") who loves nothing more than to blast that oldies radio station and be mentally and emotionally transported back in time. Of course music impacts mood; however, I would question the extent and the extreme of it's power, hence, my not understanding why some music would be regarded as a "bad" influence for some Christians.

...It just makes me want to align myself with musicians....
Personally I love to blast my radio too, about 500 watts worth of JIMI on the way home, and when I first got back into church, I tried my best to steer clear of some types of music, not particulary because the music itself was a bad influence, but because I let it be. So really I think its a personal thing when it comes to music, now, 10 years later, Im all over the radio dial, I listen to everything...almost, but it doesnt have the negative impact or the "draw" if you will to pull me back into the bars, etc etc. Im confident in God now, I know who I am, well most of the time-lol, that I can listen to whatever. Personal fave...Jimi, Janis, Doors, GNR, Creme, Zepplin, Metallica, Drowning pool, nickelback...etc etc.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:07 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,218 times
I'm still a self-confessed metalhead, although I guess I listen to all sorts of stuff. The only types of music that I dislike are newer "pop-country", most Rap, and most any schmaltzy pop. I listen to a lot of classical music, a good amount of jazz, some old country music, various ethnic music...heck, I have some old-time scandinavian waltzes, polkas, and schottisches, too.

I think the big thing gets to be the associations that you draw with a type of music, and the effect the lyrics have on you. Ironically enough, I get more annoyed by the occasional vapid CCM lyric (some are good, some aren't) than almost anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality