U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 11:53 PM

783 posts, read 1,161,701 times

Advertisements

33 minutes that will rock your world!
Watch "180" Now!
"180" - An award-winning documentary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 06:20 AM

35,053 posts, read 9,073,081 times
This documentary is from a Christian, pro-life perspective. It is 33 minutes long, so it involves an investment of time to comment on it intelligently.
180 Documentary : Hot Topics

Worth reading the summary in the comments.
"Ray Comfort, the one speaking in the documentary, is talking to people while they are out and about. He first starts off talking to them about the Holocaust and Hitler.
He then asks how they feel about abortion. Most people take the PC standpoint that it is a woman's choice and that it is okay depending on the situation involved and it isn't anyone else's business. He then relates this back to what was going on in Nazi Germany in 1939.
As he continues asking questions of this nature and drawing the parallel between what was done to the "non-human" Jews and the not-a-person-yet babies, people begin to find it hard to say when it is okay to kill the baby and when it isn't. Eventually many of the people decide that it is never okay - just as it is never okay to kill people like during the Holocaust, even if it has been declared "legal" by the government. Many of them begin to see that abortion is the new Holocaust, the Holocaust in "Christian" America."

That is his case. It's using the fallacy of the beard on a very emotional level and of course he stops it just where he wants it. One can take the argument to where if we are not all screwing like mad from school - age until we die to produce as many kids as possible, we are condemmning the unborn ones to death. But then I imagine the cut off point would be when the ovum becomes fertilized (many don't even like unfertilized ones being fiddled with)

I don't deny that it's a very hard thing to put the rights of the woman over the rights of a child, even a potential one. I'm inclined to say that, as a man, I'm not the final judge, nor is Ray Comfort and nor is the Pope. And Ray is overlooking one major difference. Women have a choice. The Jews didn't. Ray is arguing to take away their rights just as Hitler took away the Jews' rights.

Could this be another banana skin?

Ps. Won a 2011 Telly award.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:45 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,239,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
33 minutes that will rock your world!
Ray Comfort? Puh...Leeeze.

In the trailer for this movie, Comfort claims that he can change someone’s mind on abortion in seconds but then he doesn’t tell you how. Instead he directs you to his website so that he can ask for money.

If Crazy Ray Comfort really believed that abortions are murder, then by holding off on telling people this earth-shattering secret that can change people’s minds in seconds, he is condemning countless babies to death. It would be a moral duty to present this secret as quickly and widely as possible if Crazy Ray really believed his rhetoric. But of course, he doesn't. He's a liar, and an idiot who doesn't understand even the simplest things about evolution. He's a vulture who feeds off the ignorance and fear of deluded religious people.

The first third of the movie has nothing to do with abortion at all. It is a poor and inaccurate biography of Adolf Hitler. The second third of the movie equates women who have abortions to Hitler and then equates fetuses to the Jews. The last third of the film is fire and brimstone typical Crazy Comfort blather. There is no secret in there that will make you instantly change your mind.

Yeah this movie is a waste of time. You'd gain more insight into life by sitting with one finger up your nose and the other up your bum for those 33 minutes.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:51 AM

10,395 posts, read 10,444,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
..... You'd gain more insight into life by sitting with one finger up your nose and the other up your bum for those 33 minutes.
Thanks for conjuring up that image in my mind. I'll find something else to do to occupy the 33 minutes I would have wasted watching that movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality