Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 11:56 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Depends on how one interprets the NT. And Christians still include the OT as part of their Bible, and love to quote from it when attacking people they don't like. If you're going to quote Leviticus to attack gays, or quote Genesis to attack evolution, you better darn well follow Job and realize Satan is not an evil super powerful demi-god.

The only thing stating that the NT is part of the OT is the Christians. Your right they are quick to quote the OT when need be. If you read both books you can see there is a huge difference in them. Even God himself is different. In the OT he is smiting everyone left & right. In the NT he is more forgiving & will to give humans a second chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 01:45 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,042,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
There are different versions of the bible your right. One version says evil one says, chaos one says claimity. I think Christians tend to pick the one that doesn't sound so bad.
I understand what you're saying, but I'm not talking about different translations.
I'm saying that within the Bible itself, the different writers responsible for the individual books frequently disagree with each other on theological issues, factual data and even narrative events.

Examples:
A - Theological Issues
Are Moabites allowed to marry into the community?
"No Ammonite or Moabite shall be admitted into the congregation of Yahweh; none of their descendants, even in the tenth generation, shall ever be admitted into the congregation of Yahweh....You shall never concern yourself with their welfare of benefit as long as you live." (Deuteronomy 23:4-5, 7)
Compare this to the story of "Ruth the Moabitess" where "Boaz married Ruth; she became his wife, and he cohabited with her. Yahweh let her conceive, and she bore a son....Boaz begot Obed, Obed begot Jesse, and Jesse begot [King] David." (Ruth 4:13, 21-22) Not only did an Israelite concern himself with a Moabite, but in the 3rd generation the offspring was King of Israel and the beloved of Yahweh. Christians place the Book of Ruth inbetween Judges and Samuel - because they wish to show the lineage of King David. The original position in the Jewish canon is quite different and is actually written much later, probably as a polemic against the severe racism exhibited in Ezra-Nehemiah, and against the Deuteronomic prohibition above.

B, C - Factual Data, Narrative Events
In line with what I previously posted and the theme of this thread on Satan, I mention the two different accounts of who pressured King David to perform the dreaded census.
"The anger of Yahweh again flared up against the Israel; and He incited David against them, saying, 'Go and number Israel and Judah'." (2nd Samuel 24: 1) Thus, a census is performed at the prodding of Yahweh.
Once we get to the Chronicler, however, who is very apologetic for David's rule in general, AND we get a further-developed idea of a "Satan" - the Chronicler (who is writing much later) gets Yahweh and David off of the hook:
"Satan arose against Israel and incited David to number Israel." (1st Chronicles 21:1) Here, Satan is now referred to without the definite article "the" and he appears to be an actual figure, with a name - instead of merely a title, as in the Book of Job, etc.

So basically - it doesn't matter how many translations there are: the Biblical writers frequently disagreed with each other. This is to be expected among a collection of so many different works and it mirrors how religions develop and 'mature' (if that's a good word) over time. The same thing happened with the concept of Satan - he started out as a simple title or role, and later evolved into a full-blown diabolical figure. By the time the Greek New Testament is written he has become entirely evil.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:09 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Music for the devil is good:

Metal Mike - Kill For Satan - 1990 - YouTube

Old 10-01-2011, 06:05 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default "BOOoooo!!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Why are Christians so afraid of the devil?

Beats me!!! It certainly seems as if a lot of christians are also afraid of their god, their neighbors, people of any other denomination and/or religion, people of other races, both well-educated people and those without much education. I suspect fear is engrained into the christian psyche.
Well... for one thing, I know I scare them.

Hmmmmm... Maybe I'm Dah Debil? I never thought of that angle. Is it possible, DR? Is it?

.................................................. ....

Old 10-01-2011, 06:06 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
They're afraid because the Devil lives in the dark. That also explains why they are afraid of the dark.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:26 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Well... for one thing, I know I scare them.

Hmmmmm... Maybe I'm Dah Debil? I never thought of that angle. Is it possible, DR? Is it?

.................................................. ....
Well.......if you bees da debil, den you bees a friendly one!!!

Old 10-01-2011, 07:25 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,119,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid8 View Post
I'm more personally afraid of bees than I am of the devil, since bees have the ability to hurt me, but, as a saved person, the devil does not.
I don't think it's a good idea to underestimate the enemy like that.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Klato View Post
Fear is an innate human emotion. Organized religion and governments targets and excerbates it.
So religion and government are the only sources of fear?

Old 10-01-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
They're afraid because the Devil lives in the dark. That also explains why they are afraid of the dark.
Anyone who is a creature of the light is never comfortable in darkness. The reverse is true, as well. Those who fear the light always hide in darkness.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:30 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Why are Christians so afraid of the devil? simple>>> cause they believe in him,!!! and they don't want to fry on satans grill

if one does not believe in the devil, one has nothing to fear...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality