Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 09:40 PM

664 posts, read 855,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
More importantly, why is their so little mention of Satan in the Bible? You'd think he would have been popping up during all sorts of events chronicled in the Bible.

should the devil be talked about more than God in the bible? why? it ain't about him. the focus is on God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 09:44 PM

664 posts, read 855,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Why are Christians so afraid of the devil?

Beats me!!! It certainly seems as if a lot of christians are also afraid of their god, their neighbors, people of any other denomination and/or religion, people of other races, both well-educated people and those without much education. I suspect fear is engrained into the christian psyche.
i don't agree with this but i'm moving on.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:35 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Klato View Post
Why does God, creator of life, death, existence and non-existence, needs to be worship by humans??

gawd has an inferiority complex, and rightfully so, imaginary characters should not be smug.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:28 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
One can dream them up to be any way one wants them to be. It seems those who have low self-esteem or a desire for pain endow their concept of a god with corresponding proclivities. It would stand to reason that happy self-confident people have more beneficent gods.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:00 AM

307 posts, read 269,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
There has to be some reason he created humans because it wasn't out of love. Reading the bible proves that.
So your Bible is missing John 3:16, then?

Old 10-02-2011, 08:14 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,043,639 times
Don't forget that the worship of God in the Hebrew Bible was called The Fear of Yahweh - or the Fear of the LORD...

"The fear of the LORD [Yahweh] is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise."
(Psalms 111:10)

Don't think that the concept of using fear was limited to just the later idea of the devil, church or state.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:15 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid8 View Post
Nope. None of them say anything about God needing to be worshipped by humans. And you translate this as "I need to be worshipped"? Seriously? Again, nothing about "needing" to be worshipped here. Saying not to worship other gods isn't a statement of "need" for worship.
In organized religion, a person of faith has to worship their deity. God stating not to have other Gods is saying "do not worship other gods, only me." Also, Jesus states in John 4:23-24 that you need to worship God in spirit and truth.

Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth

Jesus said in Matthew 4:10, "You shall worship the Lord your God and Him only shall you serve."

The Oxford Dictionary states that worship is, “n. 1a homage or reverence paid to a deity. b acts, rites, or ceremonies of worship. 2 adoration or devotion (worship of wealth)… v. 1 tr. adore as divine; honor with religious rites. 2 tr. idolize. 3 intr. attend public service.â€

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid8 View Post
Dodging the question? He chose to do it one way instead of another, so I'm wondering why you are asking if He "needed" to do it this way. Tell me where in the Bible, or in your reasoning, God "needed" to do it this way. Those are textbook examples of loaded questions. You claim that God "needs" to do certain things, and are asking why he "needs" to do them, when you are simply presuming such a need. There's nothing in the Bible saying that God needs to be worshipped, or that God needed to bring Jesus about a certain way.
Ok, so God didn't need Mary to have Jesus. My original question was why did God have Mary birth Jesus? You're saying that God didn't need her so why did God go that route? Waiting 9 months or create a man out of dirt??? I believe creating a man out of dirt would be quicker. God jeopardize the life of Mary and Joseph.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:54 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Semi Assumption based on my Christian past. Unless Christians have taken a new interest in the Bible you will find most of the mainstream denominations place little emphasis on Bible study. Catholics make up over 1/2 the world's Catholics and at least up until the time I left Catholicism in the early 1960s Catholics were actually discouraged from reading the Bible. You will also find little bible interest among the Lutherans, Episcopalians and Church of England.
Really? Who told you that one? I'm an Episcopalian, and every week three passages from the bible--OT, epistle, and gospel--plus a psalm are read in Episcopal churches. The lectionary, as it is called, is set up so that the entire bible is read over a set period of time--two years, I think.

And my church, like many others, offers a regular weekly bible study plus an adult class on Sunday.

Anyway, back to the topic, it's just silly to make the assumption that Christians are afraid of the devil.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:09 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,069,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Really? Who told you that one? I'm an Episcopalian, and every week three passages from the bible--OT, epistle, and gospel--plus a psalm are read in Episcopal churches. The lectionary, as it is called, is set up so that the entire bible is read over a set period of time--two years, I think.

And my church, like many others, offers a regular weekly bible study plus an adult class on Sunday.
Perhaps it is a new trend. Although up here in ND I seldom run into any Episcopalians one of the towns I lived in, over in CT was predominately Episcopalian and I do not recall a single family that even owned a Bible.

It seemed that there was little if any encouragement for people to read the bible on their own. Similar to the attitude in Catholicism. Although up until the 1940s-50s Catholics were pretty much discouraged from reading it on their own.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:17 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Perhaps it is a new trend. Although up here in ND I seldom run into any Episcopalians one of the towns I lived in, over in CT was predominately Episcopalian and I do not recall a single family that even owned a Bible.

It seemed that there was little if any encouragement for people to read the bible on their own. Similar to the attitude in Catholicism. Although up until the 1940s-50s Catholics were pretty much discouraged from reading it on their own.
I've only been Episcopalian for 15 years, so perhaps it was true back in the olden days. I won't argue with you over that one, Woodrow. I think the lectionary has always been in place as the order of worship, but I don't know if people were encouraged to read on their own or not.

I was raised in the Reformed Church of America (a descendant of the Dutch Reformed Church) and we did read the bible, all the time. Memorized verses as kids, and by third grade I could recite the books of the bible in order. More of a fear-death-and-hell denomination, though, than the Episcopal church.

Whether bible reading is encouraged in a church or not, it's going to boil down to the individual anyway and their own desire to study or lack thereof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality