Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 11:37 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've only been Episcopalian for 15 years, so perhaps it was true back in the olden days. I won't argue with you over that one, Woodrow. I think the lectionary has always been in place as the order of worship, but I don't know if people were encouraged to read on their own or not.

I was raised in the Reformed Church of America (a descendant of the Dutch Reformed Church) and we did read the bible, all the time. Memorized verses as kids, and by third grade I could recite the books of the bible in order. More of a fear-death-and-hell denomination, though, than the Episcopal church.

Whether bible reading is encouraged in a church or not, it's going to boil down to the individual anyway and their own desire to study or lack thereof.
We do agree it is all up to the individual. We alone are responsible for our own choices and can not blame anyone except our selves for what we do or fail to do.

Sort of a paradox although I do not believe the Bible to be fully accurate, I do my best to encourage Christians to read it. Strange words from a Muslim.

I just personally feel that a person should but effort into their beliefs and investigate all things, learning to verify on their own and not take the explanations of any living human without verifying them. Just my Opinion, Astagfirullah (May Allaah forgive me if I am in error)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 11:55 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default "BBbbbHHhhhhAaaaaaaaaa...."

Re: "thou shalt have no carved icon" [note: paraphrased...I no longer keep such space-wasting memories intact in my head...] stuff, why, pray tell, is there then a really big wooden icon carving (or more recently, epoxy-resin or styrofoam, Christ on a Cross) up at the front of most every church hall?

I call that absolute, wanton iconism. As in: a physical adulation and focal form for easy supplication & subjugation. They even provide convenient kneeling cushions, fur heaven's sake! I frequently see images of purely sheepl-eque immigrant peasants crawling up to kiss, or place flowers at, or wail loudly, at the feet of these crucifix icons.

combine this...

Image Detail for - http://forerunnerkorea.org/files/people_praying_friday_night/P1020526_mid_1.JPG

with this...

Image Detail for - http://www.stjohnsplymouth.org/Crucifix1PEL1.jpg

to achieve this...

Image Detail for - http://www.israelimages.com/searchresult_watermark.php?image=Web-Regular/18279.jpg&watermark_text=5850&watermark_co lor=ffffff&stylesee=left_down

Independent thinking, yah think?

(Of course, there are some evolutionary survival advantages to congressing into a flock. It confuses the dark predators like Satan; harder to choose a specific lone victim this way, from a milling mass of potential and near-identical [as in: acting and thinking...] targets!

(Google Images)

Old 10-02-2011, 11:56 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
We do agree it is all up to the individual. We alone are responsible for our own choices and can not blame anyone except our selves for what we do or fail to do.

Sort of a paradox although I do not believe the Bible to be fully accurate, I do my best to encourage Christians to read it. Strange words from a Muslim.

I just personally feel that a person should but effort into their beliefs and investigate all things, learning to verify on their own and not take the explanations of any living human without verifying them. Just my Opinion, Astagfirullah (May Allaah forgive me if I am in error)

Not so strange. I read your personal story.

And I agree with your last paragraph.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:47 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
They are trained to be afraid of supernatural beings that do not exist, often starting before they can walk. I consider it child abuse, abuse that lasts a life time, with silly fears such as a spook with red skin, horns and tail. I find it stunningly ignorant that people that are supposed to be adults are still living in terror of a fairy tale.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:50 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Wouldn't biblically illiterate church-goers have less reason to fear the Devil than their more studied counterparts?
Actually, the biblically illiterate do not seem to feel the need to read their Bible (completely) They can also be intimidated by reading the Bible due to it being pumped up as this extremely cryptic book that means anything but what it says. This book is unique in the way that it is read.

Many people that I've seen with the Bible do not read the whole book, they just take certain favorite verses and read it, often out of context. Then there are the pastors and preachers that teach the denominational doctrine that is actually in conflict with what the Bible actually says.

In U.S. Christian churches, a lot more emphasis is placed on heaven and hell than the Bible puts on it. There is also a lot of emphasis placed on when the world will end, or when Jesus will return. However, the Bible is mostly about living here now.

I'm only speaking from my experience. I don't know everyone. However, I have read the Bible all the way at least once. The church teachings and the Bible teachings are so radically different that you just have to wonder.

It is the religious leaders that place strong emphasis on the Devil and promote his power (a form of devil worship it seems). The Bible is where you find what the Devil and hell actually is. He is nowhere near as big as they make him out to be. Even still, there's God. So you really have nothing to worry about.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:02 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,864 times
Quote:
He is nowhere near as big as they make him out to be.
I disagree.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:46 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
They are trained to be afraid of supernatural beings that do not exist, often starting before they can walk. I consider it child abuse, abuse that lasts a life time, with silly fears such as a spook with red skin, horns and tail. I find it stunningly ignorant that people that are supposed to be adults are still living in terror of a fairy tale.
I doubt very much that even people who are afraid of the devil seriously think it looks like that. It's an unseen evil lurking in the darkness that is the real fear.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:59 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
The Shaytan are very much real and all of us do face a Shaytan every moment of our life. The most frightening aspect of shaytan is often the Shaytan will seem to be not existent.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:08 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
A Christian should never fear or ever be afraid of the devil, that is ludicrous.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:00 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I doubt very much that even people who are afraid of the devil seriously think it looks like that. It's an unseen evil lurking in the darkness that is the real fear.
The appearance isn't the issue, it is the stupidity exhibited in the belief they exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality