U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 06:37 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,061,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
That's true! Fear is not the only emotion cynically manipulated by church and state. But wisdom and love of God can liberate you from all this.
Ahhh yes; just toss out all the serious doubts and reasonable questions you have for your God, and deny the obvious problems with all those fairy tales, and you'll come to the conclusion (well, sort of at least...) that you're safe and there's no need for fear of the devil or of hell. Gottcha! (hope hope hope..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid8 View Post
Yes, if we're going to worship someone, we should worship God. But how is that saying that God "needs" to be worshipped?

Again, if you're going to worship someone, we should worship God. But, again, how is this a statement that God "needs" to be worshipped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflmn
Huh? How do you come to that in-obvious conclusion? Why not worship The Flying Spaghetti Monster? At least I can call on Him any time I want, and He's done exactly the same, no wait; I retract that one!! He's done far more for me than your God has. (NOTE: I was once a devout, trembling Christian but I awoke because of education and skeptical thinking, plus a lack of trembling fear about my "eternal soul")...) After all, as for The FSM, we all need some carbohydrates from time to time...

Now, as many here have said time and again, in fact, your God, or His holy Minions on Earth, do demand endless supplication to His image and sanctity. Next:
No, your original question was, why did God NEED Mary to have Jesus. But I'll answer your new question - Jesus was God manifested into human flesh, and He wanted Jesus to have as much of a human experience as He could.

Jesus' ministry lasted from 30-33 AD. Why, exactly, God wanted the ministry to be at this time, I can't say for sure, but it's clearly what He wanted. He could have fully formed Jesus in 30 AD, or He could just as easily have started by having Him born about 4 BC (when He likely was) and then just grow up. Same result, except that Jesus has as fully a human experience as He can in one version, and has pretty much no human experience in the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astounded_rflmn
So now, on the one hand you say we should believe that we have The Ultimate Omnipotent Creator, one who can and did arrange and set into motion each and every sub-atomic particle in the Universe [and is doing so as we speak, including making my mind think as it does, and making my finger tips hit this keyborad... and so on and so forth...], and yet... oddly…

He could not just Insta-Poof a complete and worldly-experienced hominid into existence with a mere wave of His magic hands? I find one that awfully hard to believe, but then again, I'm a rational trained scientist, and place no store in Selective Beliefs of Convenience, a key element in Christian apologism and denialism.

Oh, and BTW #@: what about the missing history of JC for literally decades? Did the biblical mythology story writers not think it was necessary to fully fill out the Jesus myth-fable? Was it not "germaine" to the larger story? And as for His ability to fully form-up a physically and spiritually complete man, you say it yourself right here...
Keep in mind that we're talking about an omniscient God.
Yup. I am keeping it in mind, hard as that is to do without my brain starting to overheat...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 12:38 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,709,520 times
Why are Christians so afraid of the devil?

Maybe they have a reason to be. I just wish they'd stop pushing their fears on the rest of us.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:23 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,889,675 times
Millions of Christians are not afraid of Satan. I am sorry for the ones that are. Satan is as real as the noses on our faces, but he is not powerful-except in whatever God allows him to do.
I don't fear him one bit. I fear God, and it is a respectful fear, not a "shaking in my boots" kind of fear. God and God alone holds every beat of my heart in His Hands, else I may die any moment and I intimately know this.
Satan, is like any bully here on earth, he is strong before the weak, and weak before the strong.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:28 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,341,330 times
Why does God "allow" him to do anything? If God has that much control over him, why doesn't he just eliminate him?

Old 10-03-2011, 03:34 PM

Until you or I put a rainbow in the sky, or cause a lightening show, we're at His mercy in every way, and we'll just have to wait until we are in eternity to "know as we are known."

God allows satan free will just as He allows you and I. Why? I do not know. God could prove every atheist wrong, immediately. However....He is letting this grand "play" on earth, play-out, just as when Jesus cursed a fig tree, it did not whither up immediately "harry potter style" but we are also told that as Jesus or someone traveled back by that tree, they then saw it was whithered-- or my memor of the story is really bad.

Our God apparently created things and then lets them play out naturally, minus some miracles where clearly the natural realm is thrown a curve-ball. Medical miracles do indeed happen, at times.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:45 PM

3,334 posts, read 5,115,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Until you or I put a rainbow in the sky, or cause a lightening show, we're at His mercy in every way, and we'll just have to wait until we are in eternity to "know as we are known."
Well considering that rainbows are a meterological phenomenon caused by the Sun shining on to droplets of moisture in the Earth's atmosphere and lightning is the discharge of atmospheric electricity, I don't think I have much of chance of causing that. Claiming "God causes it" holds as much water as the stories of my ancestors who say that lightning is caused by a great bird who flashes lightning from its eyes and thunder from the flapping of its great wings.

Here's a better question: why are the Christian Satan and the Jewish Satan two very different beings especially considering that both faith ostensibly sprung from the same source?

Old 10-03-2011, 03:50 PM

How do you know the two satans are very different. You really think that is satan exists, that he isn't supernaturally powerful enough to simply appear as different being to different folks? C'mon! of course he can, and does.

God created those water droplets, etc. etc. Were evolution not full of holes and lack of proof, and were the intricacies really created by a "big bang" lol....pitiful how many fell for that one....
God created the big bang, were it so.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:11 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,273,083 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Why does God "allow" him to do anything? If God has that much control over him, why doesn't he just eliminate him?
You obviously dont have a strong conviction toward GOD why dsnt he destroy you?..I cant tell if you worship satan or not but that is your GOD GIVEN RIGHT to believe and question anything you want, its your own mind not anybody else's. To eliminate something that goes against a certain creed would indicate a tryant, a vengeful God and the lack of freewill....Such an existence is machine like and therefore why let anything have freewill even you..

Old 10-03-2011, 04:20 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,097,999 times
I would just like to throw in that Lucifer, the comic book, is really good, and a fascinating story about The Devil. Good stuff

Old 10-04-2011, 07:25 AM

8,021 posts, read 7,053,519 times
1Pe 5:8 Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

2Co 11:14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

Rev 12:9 The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray

Demons can aflict people and take possession of people. Satan is pure evil. Satan desires the eternal death of all. Satan is someone to be avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality