Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 06:53 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireballFL View Post
In many cases, I have found some atheists to be more educated about the King James Version of the Bible then some self-professed Christians.
You know even on CD I'm surprised had how much Atheist do know about the Bible and some can be very friendly and then there's those ones. I really have a long way to go in educating my self I am constantly learning and I guess I haven't seen anything that says NO GOD. I'm not sure I will ever know the answers to the same things non-believers have that is at least here on earth. God will reveal all the unknown I wonder what makes one believe the message and one to reject. When I talk to Atheist it seems our opinions are just the opposite.

I guess you just have to be open to the idea that there is something greater then human and this was not just a BANG!! Living on FAITH!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 12:49 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Hey all you athiests, how's it going? I was thinking about you guys the other day and I was wondering if you ever took the time to truly read the bible (at least just the New Testament)?
Why just the New Testament? Let's take this one step further (just for my own curiosity), and ask who's read both... and who - Christian, Jewish, Atheist, etc. - has read the Torah, Koran, and other religious texts? Personally, I don't think anyone has to read something they don't follow, but I guess it can't hurt either. We all know what we believe, and I doubt that reading a book would change anything. I've read parts of the New Testament and Koran, and it was kind of like reading a novel... also read the entire OT and Torah, and even those sometimes read like fiction imo (but mean more to me than the others). Does that make sense?

Old 08-23-2007, 12:54 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,378 times
Why would an atheist want to read the Bible, except perhaps for a laugh (after reading where a drunk Noah was found passed out and "immodestly" unclothed by his son, or when Jesus walked on a lake water surface during a storm just to freak out his disciples)? Much of the Bible was written by folks whose descendants today walk around with little boxes tied to their foreheads. (Tefillin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Last edited by ParkTwain; 08-23-2007 at 01:09 AM..

Old 08-23-2007, 07:37 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
What I find interesting is how much everyone believes that Marco Polo or Atlantis existed, when, the number of documents about Jesus outnumbers all the literature that existed for some of the historical personalities that we study in school. Yet, we adamantly believe every thing we read because we say its part of history.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:50 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Why would an atheist want to read the Bible, except perhaps for a laugh (after reading where a drunk Noah was found passed out and "immodestly" unclothed by his son, or when Jesus walked on a lake water surface during a storm just to freak out his disciples)? Much of the Bible was written by folks whose descendants today walk around with little boxes tied to their foreheads. (Tefillin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
I'm not sure I get your point here... yes, much of the Bible was written by the Jewish people, and Orthodoxim do wear Tefillin during prayer. Was that just an attempt at humor, or what?

Old 08-23-2007, 08:03 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,378 times
Bizarre anachronisms with practically zero relevance to the 21st century. Zoroastrianism is older and more interesting than Judaism. Americans have no idea how many active religions exist in Asia.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:50 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
I've read the entire Bible and I think it took me over a year to do it. That was in my early teens. When I was about eighteen I started to read it again and to be honest it was the Bible itself that started my journey into atheism. I remember reading so many far fetched stories about people living to be over 900 years old, making a full grown woman out of a rib and all of the stories we're familiar with. I realized that the Bible was simply not believeable and I started becoming interested in science and I discovered more realistic explanations to my questions about the universe and the origins of life.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:42 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I've read the entire Bible and I think it took me over a year to do it. That was in my early teens. When I was about eighteen I started to read it again and to be honest it was the Bible itself that started my journey into atheism. I remember reading so many far fetched stories about people living to be over 900 years old, making a full grown woman out of a rib and all of the stories we're familiar with. I realized that the Bible was simply not believeable and I started becoming interested in science and I discovered more realistic explanations to my questions about the universe and the origins of life.
I don't know what's funnier, a woman from a rib or humans from monkeys. Native Americans also laught at this thought--they believe humans come from the Buffalo. Every culture has their own beliefs, and we still have no proof where man came from, and probably will never know. Perhaps this is what God intended. Otherwise, it would just be too easy.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:45 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
TexasNick wrote:
Quote:
Every culture has their own beliefs, and we still have no proof where man came from, and probably will never know.
We have substantial evidence that human beings as well as every other form of life did in fact evolve. It's not based on any cultural mythology as you described, it's based on scientific evidence and the fossil record. We've discussed evolution on a great many threads on this forum and a number of people have presented a great deal of information about evolution. It might be worth your while to review some of those threads because you appear to be very misinformed on the subject.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:07 PM

277 posts, read 373,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
You know even on CD I'm surprised had how much Atheist do know about the Bible and some can be very friendly and then there's those ones. I really have a long way to go in educating my self I am constantly learning and I guess I haven't seen anything that says NO GOD. I'm not sure I will ever know the answers to the same things non-believers have that is at least here on earth. God will reveal all the unknown I wonder what makes one believe the message and one to reject. When I talk to Atheist it seems our opinions are just the opposite.

I guess you just have to be open to the idea that there is something greater then human and this was not just a BANG!! Living on FAITH!!
Oh, I fully believe in the science that there was a BANG! I also believe that a greater power created that bang. Be that God or Allah or whomever, they were powerful enough to create the bang that started it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality