Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 10:01 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,342 times

Advertisements

FYI---THIS THREAD CONTAINS THE HOT TOPIC OF ABORTION. YOU ARE ADVISED TO KEEP IT CIVIL, AND KEEP IT ABOVE THE BELT. THE OP IS DIRECTED MAINLY AT THOSE WHO MORALLY BELIEVE ABORTION TO BE WRONG. THERE IS TO BE NO FLAMING PRO-LIFERS OR PRO-CHOICERS, BECAUSE THE OP IS NOT ABOUT THAT PER SE.

THIS LAST WEEKEND WAS THE Woodward Dream Cruise, a classic car festival held annually on the third Saturday of August. The festival spans much of Woodward Avenue from Pontiac through Ferndale in Oakland County, Michigan, all the way to the State Fair Grounds inside the Detroit city limits, just south of 8 Mile Road.

We were out with the kids, enjoying the sites and sounds and general "state fair" type of atmosphere. Cars of all shapes, colors, and sized were cruising up and down Woodward, and the kids were enthralled, loving every second of it.

Candace and I decided to leave the kids with her mom for a bit and take a walk on our own. We start walking and got perhaps 75 feet away (maybe farther? I'm horrible with distance) when we see a huge, dirty white bus driving towards where the kids were standing. It was covered in HUGE pictures of aborted babies, very graphic, very bloody, very disturbing.

We instantly think of our oldest, who's 4. She is very sensitive and can't even handle a commercial for a scary movie, much less a bus rolling by 5 feet in front of her with pictures of slaughtered babies all over it.

We started running, and barely got there in time to shield her--and my other 2 kids--eyes.

Now. I am not here to debate whether or not abortion should be legal or not. In an effort to be as str8forward as possible, I will say that Candace and I would never choose abortion for ourselves, unless her health were in jeopardy. Yet we both feel that, in the 1st trimester at the very least, it should be available as an unfortunate option for some people.

I am not here to debate my stance on abortion.

But if you feel that abortion is morally wrong, do you feel that the driver of this bus was right? If so, why? While I understand his intentions may have been in the right place, he very nearly traumatized an innocent 4 year old girl, and for all I know, he DID traumatize some other kid(s) out there.

I think there is a time and a place for everything. But I can tell you that while I personally, morally do not agree with abortion, Candace and I were both STEAMED beyond belief at such a disgusting public display. Yes, the truth is horrible, I get that, but isn't there a more appropriate time and place to voice one's dissent? There were small children EVERYWHERE at this event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 10:08 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Default A time and a place

No, I agree with you here, Jeff. I think there is a time and place for such and I don't think that was appropriate. (And you KNOW how staunchly pro-life I am!!!)

When my own son was about sixteen, I showed him a pamphlet I had that showed an aborted baby. He was rather shocked (even as jaded and macho as teen-agers pretend to be.) I would probably not have shown him the picture if I didn't think he was old enough to "handle" it at that point. But again, my point is - he was 16!

Just my two cents.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:09 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,640 times
Jeff, I am with you on this one. Like you, abortion is not an option that I would choose for myself. But I get so furious when I see the pro-lifers out with their signs. However, I don't think there is anything that we can do about it except run as fast as we can to protect our children from other peoples instanity.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:11 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,128 times
Well, I'm with you jeff, I sure wouldn't want to come across anything like this with my 2 1/2 yr old daughter. Was this a supposed "Christian" group? I sure don't think that this is protraying the nature of Christ, and probably does more alienating than actually helping the cause.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post

When my own son was about sixteen, I showed him a pamphlet I had that showed an aborted baby. He was rather shocked (even as jaded and macho as teen-agers pretend to be.) I would probably not have shown him the picture if I didn't think he was old enough to "handle" it at that point. But again, my point is - he was 16!

Just my two cents.
Kaykay,
As you stated, this is something that you did in the privacy of your own home. You taught your own son something that you believed was wrong, morally and biblically, at an age that you felt was appropriate to him. You did not shout it out in the middle of the local playground.
Weather...

Old 08-21-2007, 10:15 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,605,167 times
Completely inappropriate, I don't think either side should be posting pictures of anything, anytime, or anywhere.

Hey Jeff, DM me, how was the woodward cruise this year, i moved out of Michigan and missed it for the first time in many years.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Was this a supposed "Christian" group?
This is an interesting question and I must admit that I feel ignorant even pointing this out, but I would have only assumed them to be a Christian affiliation. I don't know if I would place anti-abortion with atheism. Wow! Is that wrong? Can any atheists address this for me? It is not meant to be anything other than what it is. Pure ignorance in the subject. Thanks.
Weather...

3,490 posts, read 3,199,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Well, I'm with you jeff, I sure wouldn't want to come across anything like this with my 2 1/2 yr old daughter. Was this a supposed "Christian" group? I sure don't think that this is protraying the nature of Christ, and probably does more alienating than actually helping the cause.
Well, I don't know if this person represented a group, but there were scriptures all over the bus along with the pictures...so I would say that many people would assume this was a Christian.

See, kaykay's son was shocked at 16! Imagine a 4 year old girl...

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
What irks me the most is that they use the pretense of "protecting the innocent" without seeing just how that sort of thing can upset other living innocents.

Peta did a similar sort of thing on the sidewalk of a local school (sidewalk meaning public property) with horrible pictures taken from slaughter houses and labs showing bloody carcasses and entrails. The parents were outraged that their children were shown such upsetting pictures.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:22 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Terrible, Jeff, will not comment on my beliefs yet ,but will comment on the bus. There is a right and a wrong way to advertise your beliefs and this was definitely in poor taste, poor judgement and barbaric
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality