Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 12:47 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,190 times

Advertisements

Ok, come on... lets get real here. These guys obviously don't support the 1st amendment. They obviously want to banish religion from this world. They want to steal the imagination on the world and replace it with cold, hard, depressing facts. If this movement is allowed to complete what it has set out to do, they will steal the stories and fairytale from our youth along with the religions of the world.

Does your kid dream of far off lands, fighting dragons, saving princesses, and dueling with wizards? Bash those dreams, kill their imagination, don't allow creativity and imagination run wild in your children. They wish to replace emotions with so called logic. They believe in common sense as long as it matches their point of view.

This is the message these people are spreading. I will not allow this to happen. They want to bash and ridicule religion, spirituality, and even imagination. I will ridicule their so called reason and lack of proof as proof.

I only have one thing to say to those that are apart of this dream killing, imagination bashing, creativity killing group...

Bring It!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 01:40 AM

33,535 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Ok, come on... lets get real here. These guys obviously don't support the 1st amendment. They obviously want to banish religion from this world. They want to steal the imagination on the world and replace it with cold, hard, depressing facts. If this movement is allowed to complete what it has set out to do, they will steal the stories and fairytale from our youth along with the religions of the world.

Does your kid dream of far off lands, fighting dragons, saving princesses, and dueling with wizards? Bash those dreams, kill their imagination, don't allow creativity and imagination run wild in your children. They wish to replace emotions with so called logic. They believe in common sense as long as it matches their point of view.

This is the message these people are spreading. I will not allow this to happen. They want to bash and ridicule religion, spirituality, and even imagination. I will ridicule their so called reason and lack of proof as proof.

I only have one thing to say to those that are apart of this dream killing, imagination bashing, creativity killing group...

Bring It!
YOU will not allow it to happen? Where do you get the idea that atheists lack imagination anyway? Isaac Asimov, an atheist wrote more than 400 books, most of them science fiction. If you haven't read any of them, I assure you, that man had imagination....Believing in or not believing in things does not stifle creativity or imagination at all...You then go on and babble about emotions as if atheists don't have them...
I for one love fiction of all sorts, be it plausible or outright fantasy...The difference between you and I is that I do know the difference between what is plausible and what is not.
You have set this thread up expressly to bash atheists even though you have no idea what or how atheists think...
My turn to say bring it...

Old 10-02-2011, 02:53 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:

Bring It!

It's perhaps the last refuge of the theist - demonizing what it hates and doesn't want to understand.

It's the saddest thing - the very saddest thing - for someone like me when they have an exchange with a theist they like and respect and is hit with the vile and stupid lie that atheists want to eliminate all fantasy, emotion, love, beauty and wonder and replace it with soulless, coldly practical and emotionless bunch of robots.

You'd think that simply stating that we love all that stuff but don't allow it to sweep away reason would put that smear to bed (to mix metaphors rather) but it seems incredibly persistent and ingrained into theist thought. As much as the belief that theists live according to their religion when of course they live just the way secularists do.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:31 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,188 times
Quote:

Bring It!
They are.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:31 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,649 times
Where is this movie? I have heard of the books but not the movie.

I think more than a few people have a decidedly inaccurate view of the so-called New Atheists. Despite reading dozens of books by them and watching interviews and debates, I have never read one line about destroying imagination or deprogramming emotions. But, please, pass along the movie. I'll make an attempt to watch it.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:55 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Where is this movie? I have heard of the books but not the movie.

I think more than a few people have a decidedly inaccurate view of the so-called New Atheists. Despite reading dozens of books by them and watching interviews and debates, I have never read one line about destroying imagination or deprogramming emotions.
It's all about reading in-between the lines and being familiar with subtext.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:15 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
They want to steal the imagination on the world and replace it with cold, hard, depressing facts.
Shame on them!! The audacity of some people wanting the world to accept facts, reason and logic rather than mythology and fiction. Off with their heads!

Quote:
Does your kid dream of far off lands, fighting dragons, saving princesses, and dueling with wizards?
Fortunately most children grow out of that....unless they take up religion that is.

Quote:
I will not allow this to happen.
I will ridicule their so called reason and lack of proof as proof.
So you are going to do what you're always accusing atheist of doing to theists?

Old 10-02-2011, 09:59 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
It's all about reading in-between the lines and being familiar with subtext.
Ah, so you're reading into what you want to read into it.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:26 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Default It appears that....

The OP has clearly demonstrated the extreme limitations of his own imagination.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:00 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,787,901 times
Default Atheist hate fiction? Really?

Quote:

Bring It!
So I see two major misconceptions in this post, and wanted to see if I could shed some light on them.

First, the concept of "New Atheist" is in itself a misconception. The only thing new about the "New Atheist" writers is that they have been published by mainstream publishing houses, and have mainstream recognition. The substance of "New Atheism" is the same as that espoused by Russell or Ingersoll. The arguments in favor of a skeptical, materialistic, humanist view of the world are the same as they were for Paine, Hobbes, and Toland. The only thing new is a greater willingness by the general public to consider these ideas, and a decreased ability by religions and society to silence dissent.

As far as the charge of killing emotion and creativity, it seems absolutely baseless to me. I have never heard a materialist atheist condemning the Wizard of Oz or Harry Potter because they are falsehoods. I have not seen an atheist condemning entire genres and forms of music because they stir certain emotions. These things I have only seen emanating from religion.

As an atheist, I think storytelling, creative writing, fiction of all striped, art, dance, music, and deep emotion are essential parts of what makes us human. I would never want any of these to be diminished in any way. I read fantasy and science fiction, not because I believe in dragons and aliens, but because a good author uses these devices to show us something of our own human nature. I do not, however, believe that a literal belief in fiction is appropriate for a mature, rational human being. In this I think I am in agreement with most theists, with the one exception of their particular holy writings or stories, which I also classify as fiction and treat accordingly.

NoCapo

Last edited by NoCapo; 10-02-2011 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: Typo...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality