U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 02:24 AM

30,042 posts, read 30,728,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
To Be honest, I don't see the point of this thread. What does it matter who donates more to charity? If you must gloat about it, it isn't charity is it. It's a way for you to seek entitlement. IF you really want to make an impact... Donate anonymously, what does it matter who it is from as long as they are getting it and they deserve it?
I agree 100%.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:16 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,102,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Hmmmmmm.... Looks like you atheists just plan don't donate. Then, may I ask, I 'pray', sir, what redeeming value do you have for your existance besides de-meaning those who do?
Excuse me?
You might want to read the TOS.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:34 AM

34,830 posts, read 8,993,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
To Be honest, I don't see the point of this thread. What does it matter who donates more to charity? If you must gloat about it, it isn't charity is it. It's a way for you to seek entitlement. IF you really want to make an impact... Donate anonymously, what does it matter who it is from as long as they are getting it and they deserve it?
You are absolutely right. If religion is not true and non - belief in God is valid, that's all that matters, isn't it?

Apparently not because many, many, theists see a religion - based worldview as necessary because an atheist world would be awful. This argument is justified by references to how atheists have no charities or argument from Pol Pot.

There are many counter arguments - yours that it is irrelevant to whether it is correct is the best and I repped you.

That atheism is not an administrative organization (yet ) and it is certainly not into buying credibility, adherents and votes with handouts.

They do not tithe members, get tax exemptions or turn up at natural disasters, profiting on despair and loss by landing out a tent, a bag of rice and a bible. If atheists feel the need to get involved in charitable work, it is done quietly on an individual basis, not as denounced in Matthew.6

"1 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. 2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

If there is a heaven the Last may indeed be First.

As pointed out by Sanpeur, there are non - religious charities (1), too and, if there were to be a non religious Europe, USA or world, I do not for moment believe that assistance to the needy would become any the less. In fact that might be given priority over spreading religious belief.

And a P.s I tend not to care for the term 'Brights'. I much prefer to say I am an a-theist as that is what I am. I can see the value of choosing a nicer sounding name with positive connotatios, but it sets my anti -propaganda alarm bell off.

(1) though many are simply secular or skeptic organizations funded by donation and do not qualify as 'charities' in the OP's sense of taking bottled water and polemical cartoon tracts to disaster areas.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-03-2011 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: paltry quip deleted.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:48 AM

13,468 posts, read 21,232,832 times
Closed...Threads started with the deleberate intent of demeaning any worldview will be closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality