Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Purgatory Fact or Fiction
It is a real place that we will spent time in attoning for our sins. 3 17.65%
Christ has already perfected those He has chosen. 10 58.82%
I am still not sure. 4 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 10:08 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Obviously, multitudes refers the the general population of people.

Yes correct. He did not walk around speaking in parables 100% of time. However when speaking to the multitudes--not a small or even medium-sized group, according to scripture, He only spoke in parables. I don't know why you are having such a difficult time with this concept.

The difference with the sarcasm I use, Alpha, is that I have the right to criticize, because I have the heart to help. Many Christians, yourself included, seem (if I'm wrong I'm wrong) more interested in being as caustic, dismissive, and condescending as they can with anyone who doesn't share their interpretation of scripture. That, I think, is a fundamental difference. If you and other Christians really CARE about being light and salt to the world, then act like it. I'm not saying I'm not guilty of being sarcastic at times, but it has always been retalitory, or directed at a Christian who is radiating hate--which makes me think they know now what manner of spirit they are of.
Nothing more noble than a humble spirit. (since when is criticism synonymous with sarcasm?)

I'm pretty sure my time on CD is drawing to a close.

Thank you for confirming a feeling I've been having for quite some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 10:12 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Default website link seemed troublesome to me...

ibcwife- I looked at the website link? Have you read through the entire thing? I was concerned about some of their implications especially towards the end. Granted, I am at work right now and reading very fast and spotty, but red flag were definitely thrown up for me about this website. Did anyone else see what I'm talking about? Again, I don't have the time or appropriate moment right now to dig through it thoroughly.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:12 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Nothing more noble than a humble spirit. (since when is criticism synonymous with sarcasm?)
Yes, good question, I think. Answer it for yourself. As for me, sarcasm was very often employed by Jesus, who was very critical of hypocracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I'm pretty sure my time on CD is drawing to a close.

Thank you for confirming a feeling I've been having for quite some time.
Why am I not shocked at this response?

Glad that God has used me in such a way.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
ibcwife- I looked at the website link? Have you read through the entire thing? I was concerned about some of their implications especially towards the end. Granted, I am at work right now and reading very fast and spotty, but red flag were definitely thrown up for me about this website. Did anyone else see what I'm talking about? Again, I don't have the time or appropriate moment right now to dig through it thoroughly.
I just read through it a bit...seems to say what I believe, pretty much. Would this be the red flag?

Old 08-22-2007, 10:51 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Default hmmm....could be

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I just read through it a bit...seems to say what I believe, pretty much. Would this be the red flag?
Well, that would definitely be one in MY eyes would it not???!!

Old 08-22-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, that would definitely be one in MY eyes would it not???!!
LOL, yes it would be.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:08 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,451 times
ibcwife, I clicked the link (before it was removed ) and truthfully, I didn't read the article on that link. However, if you scroll down the page on the left were other links to related topics. I did click one of those links:

The Truth About Hell - Does Hell Burn Forever?

The link provided is to a rather lengthy article, but I think it would be worth everyone's time to read it. In a rather brief summary, the article pretty much makes a case for a one-time "hell-fire" that will cause those not written in the Lamb's Book of Life to be consumed with satan and his minions in the lake of fire to be no more or non-existant and not suffer in a hell of torture and torment for all eternity. It also addresses the Rich Man and Lazarus passage.

Now, you all know I haven't piped up about the whole "literal hell or not" debate. I've been mostly silent on the issue because, truthfully, I believe in hell but jeff's overall arguments (not necessarily the way he viewed his scriptural support for that argument) did get me to thinking and taking a closer look. Now, I still believe in a literal hell and I don't believe everyone will get to heaven; some will end up in hell. And for me, my definition of hell is eternal separation from God. I'm not big on particulars, but whichever way you decide to envision hell, my definition pretty much fits.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:04 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Here's the Catholic belief on purgatory....
Scripture Catholic - PURGATORY

Read, enjoy.
the good theif went to heaven, why, he did ask to be forgiven, He also did say Jesus was God, on that day, Good Friday, God the Father, had the power to grant to His beloved Son, His wish! That was a person with the Son of God, who, did ask to be forgiven, and was, and also had the promise to be that day in heaven. Too bad the other one did not ask for heaven, however,
we never will know. like do Dogs go to heaven? also, being Catholic, the souls in Purgatory, have lots of power, and we are taught to pray to them, and they will for us! The more power, I have to earn heaven, why not.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:27 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
true...but I think that some believe that saints and Mary can lead sinners from purgatory into heaven..Im not for sure if Im correct all the way, but some beleive that they can"pray the sinner into heaven". purgatory into heaven..for clarification
Mary is the mother of God, and, as we all do know, she loved her Son, and He also did her. The problem, the Son of God. Mary has the love of her child,
Son, and who, would say no to a mother? I do think, sure, we ask her, to ask her Son, as we ask the Saints, why, just we all need help, to eternal life.
Mary, has the power to plead for us, as the saints do. What they do, is by there grace, is when we ask, is to ask, God, in the name of His Beloved Son, to grant us mercy, and heaven. All I do no, I would go to my mother, when in trouble, why, why not! Everyone does know that. yes us people on earth, have the power to pray people in purgatory to heaven . So, why not? I guess it is our job here. the prayers to heaven, I believe, is what we need to be doing.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:42 PM

740 posts, read 2,013,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Mary is the mother of God, and, as we all do know, she loved her Son, and He also did her. The problem, the Son of God. Mary has the love of her child,
Son, and who, would say no to a mother? I do think, sure, we ask her, to ask her Son, as we ask the Saints, why, just we all need help, to eternal life.
Mary, has the power to plead for us, as the saints do. What they do, is by there grace, is when we ask, is to ask, God, in the name of His Beloved Son, to grant us mercy, and heaven. All I do no, I would go to my mother, when in trouble, why, why not! Everyone does know that. yes us people on earth, have the power to pray people in purgatory to heaven . So, why not? I guess it is our job here. the prayers to heaven, I believe, is what we need to be doing.

I have never understood the praying to Mary, the saints, the dead, infant baptism, purgatory (obviously) how did these things come about since they are not scriptual? (ok.. I see the link to the scriptual evidence why they believe in purgatory) .. But how about the rest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality