Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:15 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,084,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is just a question that needs an answer.
You simply cannot answer a question about something that does not exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 04:37 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,371 times
Do not work to pass your beliefs onto people that are not interested. Do not knock on strangers' doors, uninvited.

LIVE IT....just live what you believe, smile at folks, engage those that you can discern will welcome it, and in the natural course of conversation of course share your beliefs, but not! in a "teaching,preaching" manner.

Relax, let these things happen naturally, making small comments that come from your sincere heart.

Any other way actually defeats one's own desire to spread their own "gospel."

Old 10-22-2011, 06:15 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
There are many words and expressions to describe it: evangelizing, preaching, witnessing, sharing your religious beliefs, trying to gain new converts, saving souls ...

... it all boils down to an activity called proselytizing.

Do you engage in it?

Have you been a target of proselytizers?

Do you approve or disapprove of it?

Let's have an intelligent and respectful discussion about it.
I do not have a problem with anyone sharing his religious views with me. To me it is no different than sharing poltical and/or philosophical views.
However, once that individual talks to me trying to impose his views, being arrogant, or putting down my views, etc. than the conversation ends and I tell them why.
If someone is pushy after I tell them I do not have time to talk or I want to end the conversation, I tell them they need to stop immediately.

I know that the Bible do tell them to share the Good News with their fellow men and to me they are following what they think is a requirement from God. Somebody preaching to you is no different than someone making a pass at you. You either say yes or no and expect people to respect your wishes.
Where I see a problem is that many people do have an aversion and even disdain with religion and often they are not upfront and come up with all kinds of objection regarding proselyticing when I reality it is no different than someone sharing his views with them. I have seen many of these people being nice to others that share anything else with them but once they hear religion the fangs come up and go for the throat. I get a kick out of them. In many instances they despise people preaching and they are doing the very same thing on their side of the issue. Take care.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:57 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
I cant resist repeating this one here.

There was a knock on the door this morning.

I opened it to find a young man standing there who said:

"Hello sir, I'm a Jehovah's Witness."

I said "Come in and sit down."

I offered him coffee and asked "What do you want to talk about?"

He said, "Beats the crap out of me, I've never gotten this far before."

Old 10-23-2011, 09:56 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,044,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
You simply cannot answer a question about something that does not exist.
I can answer trivia questions about the Star Wars Universe..... does that count?

Old 10-23-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I cant resist repeating this one here.

There was a knock on the door this morning.

I opened it to find a young man standing there who said:

"Hello sir, I'm a Jehovah's Witness."

I said "Come in and sit down."

I offered him coffee and asked "What do you want to talk about?"

He said, "Beats the crap out of me, I've never gotten this far before."
LOL - good one!

Old 10-24-2011, 11:22 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Proselytizers tip me off immediately: insecurity with their beliefs!

No one enjoys standing alone with their thoughts! It can be a scarey place to be!

Old 10-25-2011, 12:49 PM

33,531 posts, read 37,132,711 times
This morning for the first time I found an evangelical tract on my doorstep....It began with these words, "You need to be saved, for the wages of sin is death", followed by a bunch of threatening clap trap from the bible.

I sure wish I had seen whoever deposited this filth at my door, as I would very much like to have a word or two with her/him...

Old 10-30-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
This morning for the first time I found an evangelical tract on my doorstep....It began with these words, "You need to be saved, for the wages of sin is death", followed by a bunch of threatening clap trap from the bible.

I sure wish I had seen whoever deposited this filth at my door, as I would very much like to have a word or two with her/him...
They got the last word in, though.... leave 'em and run!

Old 10-30-2011, 07:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
well the old testamenet is full of such judgements and predictions.
but it does not take a great holy man to see when people have become evil slothful and deadbeats. predicting the results of this behavior is not a psychic phenomena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality