U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 09:29 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,431,722 times

Advertisements

[quote=WhipperSnapper 88;21184037]
Quote:

Wolf in sheeps clothing?
Yeah, it's possible, but until they do something other than knocking on your door, they haven't done anything worthy of being shot.

A human life is worth more than a mild annoyance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 08:08 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,170,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
In any case, I think there is a big difference between a professionally dressed person approaching your door in the daytime to speak with the owner, and someone creeping around your bushes and looking in your windows, etc. I don't think a professionally dressed person approaching your door in the daytime to speak with the owner has done anything worthy of being shot.

I think if you really don't want anyone coming to your door, put up a tall fence with a locked gate, or a guard dog with a large threatening sign saying no trespassing.

Short of that, it is generally understood in our society that a person can approach and knock on our door (neighbor, politician, UPS man, delivery/repair man, kids selling cookies or fundraising, trick or treaters, policemen, etc). And it is generally understood that if the owner asks you to leave, you should leave.
I disagree with you. It's just a different costume. Their intent is of no concern to me.
I have a right to quiet enjoinder on my property. You have no right to be on my property unless invited. It is not incumbent upon me to respect your approaching me in any manner.
I suppose it is too much to ask of c's to respect others.

No, what you understand is not a rule.
I have a sign on my door as published upthread. Jerk c's still insist on knocking and I insist on throwing a pitcher of water on them.

Don't come to my house. I don't want you there.

Quote:
Yeah, it's possible, but until they do something other than knocking on your door, they haven't done anything worthy of being shot.

A human life is worth more than a mild annoyance.
Preaching, aka harrassment, is more than a mild annoyance to me.
I shall respond in kind.
I show as much respect as I receive, with people knocking at my door, there is none.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:23 AM

15,511 posts, read 12,599,869 times
Quote:
I don't think a professionally dressed person approaching your door in the daytime to speak with the owner has done anything worthy of being shot.
Unless you live in Joisy and "Tony" is mad at you.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I disagree with you. It's just a different costume. Their intent is of no concern to me.
I have a right to quiet enjoinder on my property. You have no right to be on my property unless invited. It is not incumbent upon me to respect your approaching me in any manner.

I have a sign on my door as published upthread. Jerk c's still insist on knocking and I insist on throwing a pitcher of water on them.

I shall respond in kind.
I show as much respect as I receive, with people knocking at my door, there is none.
Door-to-door proselytizing is not only discourteous, it is an infringement of privacy.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:29 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,170,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Door-to-door proselytizing is not only discourteous, it is an infringement of privacy.
I absolutely agree.
I appreciate that you can discuss how you once did and realize your error.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:32 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,280,132 times
I have been a target of it. I don't really mind it as long as it stays polite and as long as the proselytizers understand "no means no". If I say I'm not interested and they don't go away, then it becomes annoying. I also think that people who totally hate or want to shoot proselytizers are going overboard. How hard is it to just not answer your door or to say "no thanks" and close the door once you realize it's a proselytizer?

I just don't think it's a very useful method. For example, the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons go door-to-door, and honestly, how high is the success rate of going door-to-door for anything? Most new Mormon and JW baptisms are family members that grew up in a JW/LDS family. I feel like they need to figure out something that works better.

I am not sure about the Mormons, but the JW's also make phone calls, hang around grocery stores and malls, and go to events for the purpose of proselytizing. I just don't think it works cause people go to the grocery store to shop and go to a play to see the play, etc. They don't want to be preached to in those contexts.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:52 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,280,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

I shall respond in kind.
Throwing a pitcher of water on them? Really? Why can't you just close the door on them? That sends the message loud and clear. Moderator cut: inappropriate

Last edited by june 7th; 10-13-2011 at 09:27 PM..

Old 10-07-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Throwing a pitcher of water on them? Really? Why can't you just close the door on them? That sends the message loud and clear. Moderator cut: orphaned
I used to have an 8 foot boa who used to like to sun himself in the front window. I did not keep him in a cage unless we were were not home, he had the run of the house and the front window was his favorite place. Very few people ever knocked on my door.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-13-2011 at 09:27 PM..

Old 10-07-2011, 09:49 AM

3,751 posts, read 10,255,209 times
Not big on people trying to convert me to whatever their selling.. I will say, that the few times I've had to deal with door to door types .. in general, the Jehovah's witness and the Mormon's were the most polite and respectful to deal with.

I used to have long conversations with the Jehovah's witness in Chicago in my apartment building, regarding their pamphlets and why I was very happy with my life that didn't include their beliefs. But I was always very very polite to them.

They just wanted someone to talk to.

In my apartment in Michigan, the mormon's lived in the building and weren't allowed to proselytize.. they were always very helpful, helping to move furniture, unload groceries, etc.. Very nice boys. My BF and I would see them riding their bikes (suit pants, white short sleeve button down shirt, bikes, bike helmet = mormons) all over town.

The worst experience I ever had was local christians - I don't know what denomination. Rang the doorbell of my condo, pushed their 6 year old towards me, who then looked up at me and sweetly asked "Are you going to Hell?"...

They are very lucky that I was raised to be a civil polite person. I was on the phone when I answered the door, and the man (local pastor? father??) quickly realized how inappropriate the situation was - and grabbed woman and child and handed me a flyer - and ran.

I would never have screamed or been impolite, especially in front of a child -- but I was horrified that the adult woman was basically hiding behind her child and using the child to push her beliefs.

Lets just say that if I did wake up one day and decide I wanted to find a church, or religion - there's is not one I'd be calling.

I hate work proselytizers the most -- I worked with a very devout christian who harassed the Asian employees constantly. I'm in the sciences - and you get a lot of international colleagues - a lot who aren't Christian. We had Hindu and Muslim and Bhuddist and even Daoist.. and this guy would put pamphlets on their desks and read the bible to them and tell them they were damned --- DAILY.

I kept telling them to go to HR, but they were very mild mannered and didn't want to rock the boat.

That was very disgusting to me, that he would take advantage of their good nature by being so disrespectful.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:42 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,321,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I have been a target of it. I don't really mind it as long as it stays polite and as long as the proselytizers understand "no means no". If I say I'm not interested and they don't go away, then it becomes annoying. I also think that people who totally hate or want to shoot proselytizers are going overboard. How hard is it to just not answer your door or to say "no thanks" and close the door once you realize it's a proselytizer?

I just don't think it's a very useful method. For example, the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons go door-to-door, and honestly, how high is the success rate of going door-to-door for anything? Most new Mormon and JW baptisms are family members that grew up in a JW/LDS family. I feel like they need to figure out something that works better.
Although I think it's an odd method, and wonder about its effectiveness, the JWs are a group that has a high "turnaround rate." According to Pew Research less than 40% of all those claiming to be raised as Jehovah's Witnesses still identify themselves as Jehovah's Witnesses. I think ARIS largely agreed.

Statistics on Religion in America Report -- Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

So they do get many of their new members from conversion. Possibly conversion of non-JW relatives, but I'm not sure. I read somewhere the author Mickey Spillane converted due to a door-to-door JW.

It might make more sense for their "door-to-door" approach to be more "targeted." Religious conversions/apostasies generally happen before age 35. The stories I've heard of people converted by a door-to-door evangelist were disproportionately unemployed or addicted people. So maybe areas near colleges or "skid rows" would be sensible. They might have ethical reservations about "targeting" and if so that's kind of nice as "targeting", like they were selling vacuums, does sound a bit cold-blooded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality