U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 06:51 PM

13,951 posts, read 10,361,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
[Yeah, it's possible, but until they do something other than knocking on your door, they haven't done anything worthy of being shot.

A human life is worth more than a mild annoyance.
I agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 08:15 PM

3,488 posts, read 3,161,576 times
The thing to remember with people like the Jehovah Witnesses - when other posters say they throw water on them, or set them on fire with gasoline - is that they are extremely vocal in their hatred for whatever country they are living in, and how that country will someday be destroyed and totally deserve it for their treatment of Jehovah's "true' believers. Heck, they sneeringly refer to all others as Christendom - and use it as a dirty word. My Jehovah Witness friend, just the other month, condemned all other sects of Christianity by saying "well, they certainly don't show any signs of being Christians!" I asked her to elucidate her statement. "Well, they don't go door to door like us - which is a true sign of being a believer."

This attitiude of focusing on door-to-door was instituted by a new president (or whatever they call the head dude) in the middle of the last century, and has proven to be extremely annoying and based on a faulty interpretation of scripture, in my opinion.

Add to this the fact that they go out of their way to break laws in order to become persecuted by whatever government is sheltering them, and supporting their 'right' to be asses in this way. Almost every other magazine has an article on how awful they were treated by the Nazis. Almost never a mention is made of the jews, unless it's a snide article on how they were all hypocrites and liars and deserving of what happened to them and their temple. Truly a hateful cult - the JWs.

So I applaud anyone who throws water on them when they knock on the door. There is a very good reason why many countries throw them in prison - where they belong, as lawbreakers and a sect that revels in the idea that "if you're persecuted for your beliefs, you must be right". It's a shame this country doesn't do it. There - I said it.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:29 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,430,019 times
In my thinking, one should never be the one responsible for turning a verbal disagreement or argument into a physical altercation.

Throwing anything (even water) on a person resulting in offensive contact is considered battery by the law.

Once an altercation becomes physical, I have no problem with also becoming physical to put an end to the attack. But, I will not turn a war of words into a physical altercation.

From wiki:
Quote:
In the United States, criminal battery, or simply battery, is the use of force against another, resulting in harmful or offensive contact...Battery was defined at common law as "any unlawful touching of the person of another by the aggressor himself, or by a substance put in motion by him."

Old 10-07-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
In my thinking, one should never be the one responsible for turning a verbal disagreement or argument into a physical altercation.

Throwing anything (even water) on a person resulting in offensive contact is considered battery by the law.

Once an altercation becomes physical, I have no problem with also becoming physical to put an end to the attack. But, I will not turn a war of words into a physical altercation.

From wiki:
Maybe it could be looked at in a microcsomic vs macrocosmic way:
A: they are trying to usher in the destruction of the world in the Last Judgement, and the destruction and overthrow by their theocratic government of my nation's government (macro) -
B: we are fighting back by throwing water on them, throwing them in prison, and stamping out their evil plans of world domination and desturction (micro).

When put in the proper perspective, it's quite logical heh!

Sure, there are laws and stuff - and the Jehovah's Witnesses (even though they are so AGAINST whatever nation they are in) are the first ones to use the legal system to fight their battles: they have an extremely well-financed battery of lawyers.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:45 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,430,019 times
They are using words on the micro and macro level. You can use words on the micro and macro level. Raise your voice against them, not only on your door step but in the public realm. But, I think it is wrong to use physical violence, even throwing water, against an opponent who is unarmed and is only using their voice.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:54 PM

What's the saying: You can tap someone on a shoulder, but once you hit them with a two-by-foor you'll find you have their full divided attention?

Spare the rod, spoil the [door-to-door adovate-of-world-destruction].

Old 10-07-2011, 10:55 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,824,799 times
If you want to proselytize, I would suggest if the other person says they are not interested, just drop the subject. Freedom of speech gives you the right to share your views on religion to others, but good manners demands that you shut up if the person you're conversing with is not interested. Religion is not something that should "sold" like a product or a commodity.

It annoys me that "missionaries" go through vigorous training - as if they were real estate or automobile salesmen - on how to "open" the presentation, how to ask questions and probe, overcoming objections, etc. Sheesh.

This weekend here in Philadelphia we are going to have a large outdoor festival called Outfest that is something the LGBT community puts on. A dozen years ago it started out as a block party that attracted perhaps 1,000 people, but now it's a street festival that covers about 10 city blocks and may attract as many as 35 to 45,000 people ... it's a completely gay thing with booths run by various LGBT organizations, musicians and artists from that specific community, etc. There is one particularly zealous (I would characterize him as "obnoxious") young man who shows up every year with a small group - may 5 or 6 others - with bull-horns to chastise and denounce the festival-goers. He claims to be a Christian and he says he wants them to turn away from their evil ways. The courts have ruled he has a right to do what he is doing, but his actions are really disruptive and some of the people feel insulted and defamed by him. The courts have ruled that the Westboro Baptist Church have a right to their counter-protests as well.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:10 AM

8,107 posts, read 7,119,541 times
To answer Mercury Cougar's question, the Bible teaches that all those who die without faith in Jesus Christ will be eternally damned. Again, its not me that made this decision, this is what Jesus said.

Jn 3:17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Jn 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

Jn 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:15 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,267,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I used to have an 8 foot boa who used to like to sun himself in the front window. I did not keep him in a cage unless we were were not home, he had the run of the house and the front window was his favorite place. Very few people ever knocked on my door.
What an epic way to ward off unwelcome visitors, lol.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:17 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,267,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Not big on people trying to convert me to whatever their selling.. I will say, that the few times I've had to deal with door to door types .. in general, the Jehovah's witness and the Mormon's were the most polite and respectful to deal with.

I used to have long conversations with the Jehovah's witness in Chicago in my apartment building, regarding their pamphlets and why I was very happy with my life that didn't include their beliefs. But I was always very very polite to them.

They just wanted someone to talk to.

In my apartment in Michigan, the mormon's lived in the building and weren't allowed to proselytize.. they were always very helpful, helping to move furniture, unload groceries, etc.. Very nice boys. My BF and I would see them riding their bikes (suit pants, white short sleeve button down shirt, bikes, bike helmet = mormons) all over town.

The worst experience I ever had was local christians - I don't know what denomination. Rang the doorbell of my condo, pushed their 6 year old towards me, who then looked up at me and sweetly asked "Are you going to Hell?"...

They are very lucky that I was raised to be a civil polite person. I was on the phone when I answered the door, and the man (local pastor? father??) quickly realized how inappropriate the situation was - and grabbed woman and child and handed me a flyer - and ran.

I would never have screamed or been impolite, especially in front of a child -- but I was horrified that the adult woman was basically hiding behind her child and using the child to push her beliefs.

Lets just say that if I did wake up one day and decide I wanted to find a church, or religion - there's is not one I'd be calling.

I hate work proselytizers the most -- I worked with a very devout christian who harassed the Asian employees constantly. I'm in the sciences - and you get a lot of international colleagues - a lot who aren't Christian. We had Hindu and Muslim and Bhuddist and even Daoist.. and this guy would put pamphlets on their desks and read the bible to them and tell them they were damned --- DAILY.

I kept telling them to go to HR, but they were very mild mannered and didn't want to rock the boat.

That was very disgusting to me, that he would take advantage of their good nature by being so disrespectful.
That's just obnoxious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality