Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:40 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times

Advertisements

I think it is evil. I especially detest missionaries and their utter disregard for other cultures. It's just arrogant.

The idea that people feel they alone must "save" others is so deluded and ill-conceived.

I think the sheer ignorance of people thinking they know what's best for humanity as a whole is what offends me, personally. the most.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 09:57 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
I'm not really inclined, or probably even all that capable, of proselytizing. Or comfortable with others doing it to me. The main proselytizing I see is likely Baptist or Pentecostal. However considering the people I hang with online, and in academia, atheist-proselytizing (attempts to convert or persuade being proselytism) is probably pretty close in my life. Both can be a tad obnoxious. As I'm Catholic we also get the "I was a Catholic, but then" proselytizing. Like

"I was a Catholic, but then I realized it is not logically justified and found the freedom of atheism/agnosticism/deism."
"I was a Catholic, but then I realized it is not Biblically justified and found the joy of Fundamentalism/Evangelicalism/Pentecostalism."

Third would likely be Muslim, but I've only dealt with Muslim proselytizing online. In life I've met few Muslims and the ones I met seemed more concerned with getting an education or making a living than converting people. Don't misunderstand that, some of them struck me as intensely religious just not proselytizing.

As "evangelizing" can just mean "spreading the news of the faith" than I suppose I evangelize a little. In so much as I say I'm Catholic, discuss what I think that means, and fairly often answer questions on it when asked. If that's evangelizing than I don't have a problem with people doing that to me or doing it to others. If someone even wants to tell me how the aliens in the core of Venus changed their life, as long as they're not expecting or demanding that I buy it, I guess that can be okay.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:37 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
Though no one has more faith than I do, I do tire of others' Proselytizing.
The true journey of the soul is best shared by simply being an example. Working to draft believers to one's way of belief is so lame.
Jesus was a fisher of men, and He had that Spirit that drew folks to Him.
If sincere believers will just live it, and be sincere, honest, etc....they, too will influence folks and not even know it, often.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:14 AM

659 posts, read 1,102,022 times
Not unlike the continued existence of reality tv and its denizens, proselytization is just one of those obnoxious side effects of getting to live in a free society. It's a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things, but boy it sure can be annoying.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:42 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Proselytizing is a sin.
Proselytizing makes me want to give new meaning to the concept of guns and god.

Hence the term god-botherers.
If I want a church, I know where to find one. So does everyone else.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:50 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
Not unlike the continued existence of reality tv and its denizens, proselytization is just one of those obnoxious side effects of getting to live in a free society. It's a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things, but boy it sure can be annoying.
Small price to pay?
It's a big price.
When I lived overseas in a military community, although I had this posted on my door in 8.5 x 11" paper, I still got god-botherers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	No preaching.bmp
Views:	108
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	85605

I kept a pitcher of water at my door and threw it on them because they had absolutely no respect for the privacy of others. It didn't serve as a deterrent.
I'd do it again.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:00 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Good posts. Made me think a bit. For one thing about how to spell it.

pros·e·ly·tize (prs-l-tz)v. pros·e·ly·tized, pros·e·ly·tiz·ing, pros·e·ly·tiz·es
v.intr.1. To induce someone to convert to one's own religious faith.
2. To induce someone to join one's own political party or to espouse one's doctrine.

v.tr. To convert (a person) from one belief, doctrine, cause, or faith to another.

Like a lot of these terms, it can cover a range of meaning.

There is nothing wrong in putting forward ideas, especially is one considers them true and (or) beneficial and people need to hear about it. It isn't wrong or evil since politicians and advertisers do it all the time. Yeah...well. Ok

Interference in another's culture is considered evil, but we do that all the time, especially if we feel a country's people are not getting a fair deal.

It's a question of how we do it. With respect would be good. It's a question of what we are doing. The persuasion ought to be to sign up to something that isn't whacky or a con - trick. Caveat emptor.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:38 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times
I used to live in Harlem and still frequent the area. I hear every conspiracy theory known to man and often confronted by all types preaching their slush, notably the Nation of Islam characters. I can't stop them from offering their nonsense, however, if I say "no thanks" and/or do not acknowledge your gestures and you still try to bother me, then we have a BIG problem.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:00 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
That's good. We are moving up the board into the issues of the faithful. They belong with the rude as well; right? Ignorance is for the right consideration; the example of authority is and was so often absolved for failing the country in it's paths of liberty because the struggle was shared in the fear being expressed in local judgments by the civil suits. Now we are needing to assume responsibility for the less able to take care of themselves, OR better O.K. the less educated but accomplishing whatever they want (right?), eh Tea partiers.
There is a huge difference between the lack of education and willful stupidity.

There are many intelligent people that never had the opportunity to avail themselves of higher education.......... and there are many willful idiots with a wall full of diplomas.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:48 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
I have no issue with it. Provided They stick only to what they believe and not a sermon as to why I am damned. I have no fault with those who want to tell the beauty of what they believe, but I do have a problem if all they can do is tell how wrong other beliefs or non-beliefs are.

Proselytizing to one who has no desire to hear is not only intrusive, obnoxious, non-productive and time wasting; it is outright stupid. I place Evangelism as being the best argument , to justify Atheism.

Everybody who knows me, knows I am Muslim and will answer any question to the best of my ability. But I am not going to knock on anybody's door to tell them my beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality