Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 04:37 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,044,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
For a thread that started out asking for thoughts on proselytizing, we have devolved into a forum for proselytizing. Should've been shut down days ago.
Yes indeed - Wilsoncole is doing quite a good job at pushing people away from his organization, methinks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 05:15 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncole View Post
That sign does not apply to Jehovah's Witnesses because they are not "solicitors." People need to know the difference. The Law does. It does not recognize evangelizing as trespassing. If it did, then ANY unexpected caller, like a census-taker or a political canvasser or pollster, is a trespasser. Since the Law grants evangelizers the right to call on private homes, the homeowner must see to it that he does not violate those rights.
Well I'll tell you want does work, telling them in clear statements to get the "F" of my damn porch and take their ignorant superstition and stuff it up their arse. Works on, baptists, republicans, and many others also

Old 10-14-2011, 08:25 PM

646 posts, read 634,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Well I'll tell you want does work, telling them in clear statements to get the "F" of my damn porch and take their ignorant superstition and stuff it up their arse. Works on, baptists, republicans, and many others also
Why go to all that trouble when a simple "I'm not interested" will do it?
I leave when they tell me that.
It won't slow down the work in the least.
ITEM OF INTEREST
BACKLASH!
Parents Object to a Teacher’s Prejudice
"An elementary-school teacher in Cassano Murge, Italy, sent stickers home with some of his pupils. These stickers, which were intended to be put on the front door, bore the notice: “We are Catholics. Jehovah’s Witnesses are asked not to knock on this door.”
Some of the parents of the pupils, although not Jehovah’s Witnesses themselves, objected strongly to the teacher’s actions. According to the news journal Muoviti Muoviti, the parents charged that ‘giving children this kind of message contributes to their rejecting anyone who does not think as they do or to their excluding someone because he is religiously “different.”’ One parent who wrote to the journal called the sticker “the seed of a weed, the daughter of ignorance and stupidity.”
As this report demonstrates, many fair-minded people recognize the dangers of sowing seeds of prejudice. They also have respect for the Christian ministry performed by Jehovah’s Witnesses throughout Italy and the whole world.
Why not ask the Witnesses for ‘a reason for the hope in them’? They will be eager to discuss it with you.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 10-14-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Maybe it could be looked at in a microcsomic vs macrocosmic way:
A: they are trying to usher in the destruction of the world in the Last Judgement, and the destruction and overthrow by their theocratic government of my nation's government (macro) -
B: we are fighting back by throwing water on them, throwing them in prison, and stamping out their evil plans of world domination and desturction (micro).

When put in the proper perspective, it's quite logical heh!
Funny - nobody told me about any plans for world domination. Would that be a political system? Who, do they claim, would run it?
Throwing them into prisons only results in many prisoners becoming JWs.
I don't know where you get your information, but JWs cannot "usher" in anything when it comes to world-changing events.
It is all in the hands of Jehovah's son, Jesus.
“. . .Let me refer to the decree of Jehovah; He has said to me: “You are my son; I, today, I have become your father. Ask of me, that I may give nations as your inheritance And the ends of the earth as your own possession. You will break them with an iron scepter, As though a potter’s vessel you will dash them to pieces.”” (Psalm 2:7-9)
Does that sound like something JWs can accomplish?
Your "fight" is with Jehovah, not us.
Quote:
Sure, there are laws and stuff - and the Jehovah's Witnesses (even though they are so AGAINST whatever nation they are in) are the first ones to use the legal system to fight their battles: they have an extremely well-financed battery of lawyers.
How do you know that?
"Well-financed battery of lawyers?" Why would they have to be well financed? All of our lawyers are JWs and not one of them gets a salary, do not live the high life, do not have huge staffs nor elegant transportation systems!
That should give you cause for pause.

Its all voluntary, Sir.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 10-14-2011, 10:08 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
There are many words and expressions to describe it: evangelizing, preaching, witnessing, sharing your religious beliefs, trying to gain new converts, saving souls ...

... it all boils down to an activity called proselytizing.

Do you engage in it?

Have you been a target of proselytizers?

Do you approve or disapprove of it?

Let's have an intelligent and respectful discussion about it.

Hate it, hate it, hate it! Some people have to much time on their hands..............

Old 10-14-2011, 10:26 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Why go to all that trouble when a simple "I'm not interested" will do it?
It's no trouble, I enjoy it, their expression is priceless, and perhaps it will get on their "do not knock" list.

It's simple, my house, my rules, don't like it.......... suck it up, my house, my rules.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:31 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
JW's are not "solicitors"? A rose by any other name...if you wish to call them "fishers of men", etc., do so, but as far as I am concerned, they are soliciting. That goes for the LDS guys that show up every so often as well. I can spot them working the neighborhood when I'm out on my motorcycle, so I simply lengthen my ride so as not to be at home when they call.

Last edited by catman; 10-15-2011 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: left out an 'e'

Old 10-15-2011, 04:50 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,044,902 times
Quote:
Funny - nobody told me about any plans for world domination. Would that be a political system? Who, do they claim, would run it?
Throwing them into prisons only results in many prisoners becoming JWs.
I don't know where you get your information, but JWs cannot "usher" in anything when it comes to world-changing events.
It is all in the hands of Jehovah's son, Jesus.
“. . .Let me refer to the decree of Jehovah; He has said to me: “You are my son; I, today, I have become your father. Ask of me, that I may give nations as your inheritance And the ends of the earth as your own possession. You will break them with an iron scepter, As though a potter’s vessel you will dash them to pieces.”” (Psalm 2:7-9)
Does that sound like something JWs can accomplish?
Your "fight" is with Jehovah, not us.
How do you know that?
"Well-financed battery of lawyers?" Why would they have to be well financed? All of our lawyers are JWs and not one of them gets a salary, do not live the high life, do not have huge staffs nor elegant transportation systems!
That should give you cause for pause.

Its all voluntary, Sir.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson
Wilson - I'll say this nicely, since you seem to be spouting out all the typical JW responses that we can very easily get in any Watchtower:

Many people are aware of the JWs and how they operate. Just because you are a little too close on the inside and subject to the very effective psychological techniques cults use to keep their members uninformed and loyal - doesn't mean other people are. There's a reason your organization is labelled as a cult, and there's very good reasons why people laugh at you and your arrogant buddies. Your very words (which I won't even bother debating, since most are obviously full of fallacies) betray you.

My only reservation is that your kind preys on the badly educated. Tell me - were you one of the generation in the 70's that didn't bother to go to college (just like the literature reccomended) because you thought the world was ending lol? Were you? Ohhhhh mercy....

Old 10-16-2011, 07:15 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Wilson - I'll say this nicely, since you seem to be spouting out all the typical JW responses that we can very easily get in any Watchtower:

Many people are aware of the JWs and how they operate. Just because you are a little too close on the inside and subject to the very effective psychological techniques cults use to keep their members uninformed and loyal - doesn't mean other people are. There's a reason your organization is labelled as a cult, and there's very good reasons why people laugh at you and your arrogant buddies. Your very words (which I won't even bother debating, since most are obviously full of fallacies) betray you.

My only reservation is that your kind preys on the badly educated. Tell me - were you one of the generation in the 70's that didn't bother to go to college (just like the literature reccomended) because you thought the world was ending lol? Were you? Ohhhhh mercy....
The JW's have since changed their position on getting an education. I think they realized encouraging people to skip college wasn't going to get them more members.

The idea that all or most JW's are uneducated is a myth. Most of the JW's I know have a college education. One of my best friends has an MA in psychology and she's a JW. Sure there are some without college education, but there are also a lot of people (who aren't JW) that don't have a college education. I haven't finished mine, and I'm not JW.

It's kind of a weak argument now. It was a stronger argument when the JW's actually did discourage people from going to school.

This whole article, from the Watchtower site, encourages people to stay in school:

Should I Quit School? - Jehovah's Witnesses Official Web Site

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 10-16-2011 at 07:48 AM..

Old 10-16-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:

I am in college now! BTW - college guarantees what? Does it impart wisdom?
Strange - but you have not refuted anything I said. Why? If I am wrong, then straighten me out!
Mercy?
Yes! We all need it - don't we?

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality