Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 12:16 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,612,870 times

Advertisements

It annoys the hell out of me when someone tries to convert me or, even worse, shows up at my door to do it. I tell them I'm not interested and ask them to leave.

They're every bit as entitled to do that as I am entitled to try to convince them that there is no god, or that they should vote my way in an election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 12:55 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,834,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It annoys the hell out of me when someone tries to convert me or, even worse, shows up at my door to do it. I tell them I'm not interested and ask them to leave.

They're every bit as entitled to do that as I am entitled to try to convince them that there is no god, or that they should vote my way in an election.

Does this feel like an imposition of thought on the relativity for the customs of commonly enjoyed dialogue and reeling of popular books, or on the relativity of courtesy and trust in social money for the world. If it's the first form your O.K. in my book.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:19 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,158,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
There are many words and expressions to describe it: evangelizing, preaching, witnessing, sharing your religious beliefs, trying to gain new converts, saving souls ...

... it all boils down to an activity called proselytizing.

Do you engage in it?
Once upon a time, but no longer.

Quote:
Have you been a target of proselytizers?
I have been. When I first deconverter, I found it extremely annoying. But now I find it extremely interesting, that not a single person preaching to me about jesus, has read the bible.

Quote:
Do you approve or disapprove of it?
I wouldn't mind it, if it wasn't for all the deceitful claims some make as they are trying to spread "the word".

Old 12-20-2011, 01:46 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,881,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
Does this feel like an imposition of thought on the relativity for the customs of commonly enjoyed dialogue and reeling of popular books, or on the relativity of courtesy and trust in social money for the world. If it's the first form your O.K. in my book.
If you ask questions that make sense you are OK in my book.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:33 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,543,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Not all atheists say that. I've never told anyone that. I don't think people are stupid for believing what they believe. However - I don't want to be told that I'm going to Hell unless I believe the same thing. And honestly - which is worse - being told you are stupid or being told that you are going to burn forever in eternal torment no matter how good of a person you are unless you accept Jesus as your lord and savior?
Hi Dewdrop,

Personally being called stupid offends me more than being told I am going to hell. That being said, if someone tells me one of my kids is going to hell, that would (and has) made me a little more angry. But, that's a long story.

I can understand being annoyed with any unsolicited advice. So I get not wanting to hear people telling you that you are going to hell, directly.

What I don't get (and this isn't necessarily assuming you believe this yourself) is people who are offended at the idea that Christians believe (in general) that non-believers will go to hell.

I just don't get being offended by the idea that someone things you are going to a place that you don't believe exists.

What are your thoughts on this?

Old 12-21-2011, 05:36 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,543,113 times
Quote:

Would you say that sales people and politicians that might knock on your door would annoy you just as much?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:43 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,112,474 times
I find it annoying and presumptuous.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:54 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,118,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Hi Dewdrop,

Personally being called stupid offends me more than being told I am going to hell. That being said, if someone tells me one of my kids is going to hell, that would (and has) made me a little more angry. But, that's a long story.

I can understand being annoyed with any unsolicited advice. So I get not wanting to hear people telling you that you are going to hell, directly.

What I don't get (and this isn't necessarily assuming you believe this yourself) is people who are offended at the idea that Christians believe (in general) that non-believers will go to hell.

I just don't get being offended by the idea that someone things you are going to a place that you don't believe exists.

What are your thoughts on this?
Hmm... Now that I think about it - I guess being called stupid or being told I'm going to Hell are pretty equal to me. I know I'm not stupid and I don't believe in Hell - so neither one is going to crush me. However - I guess I would find them both equally annoying to hear.

I don't think "offended" is the right word... When people tell me that they think I'm going to Hell, it doesn't offend me. Irritates? Maybe. I guess more than that though - I just realize that they aren't worth my time. I don't respond to threats. I guess you could say that it just makes me lose respect for the person. To me - it's sort of the equivalent of saying - believe what I believe or I'll punch you in the face!!! Or better yet - believe what I believe or God will punch you in the face!!! A threat is a threat. It basically shuts down all communication for me. Why would you want to carry on a conversation with someone who tries to bully and threaten you. As far as people believing that I'm going to Hell but not talking about it - no biggie. I'm sure some of my relatives believe that but since they've never brought it up - it doesn't really matter. And if they did bring it up - I think I would find it more annoying than offensive.

I hope I answered your questions. Having a newborn and being sleep deprived doesn't really help my already scattered thinking!

Old 12-21-2011, 10:57 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,612,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Would you say that sales people and politicians that might knock on your door would annoy you just as much?
Possibly not. Commerce and politics are both useful enterprises.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:05 PM

16,637 posts, read 15,583,585 times
Quote:

You're a lot nicer to them than I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality