U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 05:43 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,829,823 times

Advertisements

There are many words and expressions to describe it: evangelizing, preaching, witnessing, sharing your religious beliefs, trying to gain new converts, saving souls ...

... it all boils down to an activity called proselytizing.

Do you engage in it?

Have you been a target of proselytizers?

Do you approve or disapprove of it?

Let's have an intelligent and respectful discussion about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 05:58 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,084,275 times
Proselytizing is a sin.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:06 PM

7,961 posts, read 8,540,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
There are many words and expressions to describe it: evangelizing, preaching, witnessing, sharing your religious beliefs, trying to gain new converts, saving souls ...

Do you engage in it?

Man oh man, back in my college days I couldn't get thru any given week without five or six Jesus folk asking me if I knew the Lord. Funny thing was when I did accept Jesus, it all stopped. No one approached me askin' if I knew the Lord. Cuz I did.

How did they know? Why did it stop? It wasn't like I carried around a sign sayin' I was a Christian.

At any rate, Jesus said we need to share the Good News. So I think it is fine as long as it is done in a nice way.
Which begs the question whether anyone on this board is "shoving Jesus down anyone's throat". I think not.

As for me (in the real world), I just live my life. If people got questions, I got answers. That's how I operate.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:19 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,430,415 times
I think it is a freedom of speech issue. People should be free to proselyte, and people should be free to respond to that speech in any way they see fit as long as laws are not broken.

I proselytized full time for two years as a Mormon missionary. I did not know at the time it was a false religion I was promoting.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:13 PM

6,039 posts, read 9,236,180 times
Well, we all know the joke about the native asking if he'd go to hell if he'd never heard of Jesus but was a good person his whole life. The missionary replied "Of course you'd go to heaven! Jesus won't hold it against you if you'd never heard of him."

To which the native said "Then why did you tell me?"

Moral of the story is, if what a christian believes is true, they're condemning people to hell simply by telling them about their Jesus. If their beliefs are wrong, there's no point in telling people about them. So why bother in either case?

Proselytizing is annoying, and if anyone shows up at my door or tries to preach to me at work or on the street, they're going to get it with both barrels.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:22 PM

12,243 posts, read 8,185,305 times
While I believe in freedom of speech it also makes me think that people who feel the need to preach to others, tend to because of lack of thier own faith. No one should be held captive & have to listen to someone preach said faith to them.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:41 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,585,922 times
Quote:

Do you engage in it?

I think without it, there would be a better stride towards ensuring equality for a lot of people.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:42 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,179,007 times
"Your thoughts on PROSELYTIZING"

DON'T!

Old 10-03-2011, 09:01 PM

943 posts, read 1,505,412 times
Default Pushing Christ

Gently offering, is different than intimidation or pushing. If a person starts up about religion I tell them I am a Christian and offer to answer any questions if ever they have them, period, end of conversation...however...I know people who go on endlessly bashing a political party and repeating whatever they just heard from the media not unlike some people that want to kill you with religion. What is really called for is grace, and to respect others to formulate their own convictions.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:34 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,304,056 times
Quote:

That's not possible because those that would proselytize have already thrown intelligence and respect under the bus of ancient superstition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality