U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 06:39 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,321,476 times

Advertisements

Early Christian engraving shows pagan elements - Technology & science - Science - LiveScience - msnbc.com

Interesting. Thoughts? I can see how its an earlier version, but it has some completely different feeling to it, at least in my opinion, even from the Latin bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 09:07 PM

6,039 posts, read 9,217,515 times
So yeah... still at least 100 years past the time when their "messiah" supposedly existed. Not exactly a reliable eyewitness.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,254,149 times
It's Gnostic so kind of unrelated to all, or at least most, existing Christianity.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:57 AM

34,595 posts, read 8,914,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
So yeah... still at least 100 years past the time when their "messiah" supposedly existed. Not exactly a reliable eyewitness.
Of course. It's of historical interest relating to the 2nd century spread of Christianity rather than of significance in the 'Is Christianity/The Bible true' debate.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:02 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,529,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
It's Gnostic so kind of unrelated to all, or at least most, existing Christianity.
Gnosticism is not Christianity at all, in my opinion. Having read the Nag Hammadi Codex, with it's Archons and Jesus kissing Mary Magdelene, etc., I consider it pure fantasy, like "Lord of Tthe Rings". Many, many writings were not included in the compilation which became known as the "Textus Receptus" for very good reasons.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:11 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,527,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Gnosticism is not Christianity at all, in my opinion. Having read the Nag Hammadi Codex, with it's Archons and Jesus kissing Mary Magdelene, etc., I consider it pure fantasy, like "Lord of Tthe Rings". Many, many writings were not included in the compilation which became known as the "Textus Receptus" for very good reasons.
In other words the editors who decided what should be considered truth is based upon what they themselves believed.

One man's truth is another man's gnosticism. The survivor gets to be the real McCoy.

Seems like the original screenplay for Orwell's 1864.

Quote:
"If the Party could thrust its hand into the past and say this or that even, it never happened—that, surely, was more terrifying than mere torture and death."

"And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed—if all records told the same tale—then the lie passed into history and became truth. 'Who controls the past' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.'"

"Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. In this way every prediction made by the Party could be shown by documentary evidence to have been correct; nor was any item of news, or any expression of opinion, which conflicted with the needs of the moment, ever allowed to remain on record. All history was a palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary."
SOURCE

Old 10-04-2011, 01:28 PM

16,438 posts, read 18,529,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
In other words the editors who decided what should be considered truth is based upon what they themselves believed.

One man's truth is another man's gnosticism. The survivor gets to be the real McCoy.

Seems like the original screenplay for Orwell's 1864.

SOURCE
You're a Moslem. "There is now before you life or death; choose thou."

Old 10-04-2011, 01:39 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,527,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
You're a Moslem. "There is now before you life or death; choose thou."
I am a Muslim, who was at one time a Christian. I was dead as a Christian and found life in Islam.

BTW Muslim is the proper pronunciation, Moslem is a mispronunciation of مسلم

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 10-04-2011 at 01:50 PM..

Old 10-04-2011, 01:46 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,968,564 times
What difference does Woodrow's religion make? The Gnostic gospels are as credible to many people as the accepted books of the Bible. In my case, I'd put the Koran in the same boat, but that doesn't make Woodrow's initial comment less valid.

I think all the holy books provide interesting insight into the people who wrote them, the groups that accepted and rejected them, and the times in which they were written. I wish archeologists could uncover more.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:38 PM

3,488 posts, read 3,151,539 times
Now the Gnostics can say "FIRST!" like many modern internet posters, and until further notice - be correct ha ha!

That is too funny - that of ALL the possible christian inscriptians to find: Valentinus! No proto-orthodox inscriptions, but a Gnostic one!

Historians could come to ALL sorts of nasty conclusions with this information, if they so desired. Still doesn't change the fact that the proto-orthodox eventually became the orthodox (naturally - thus the nomenclature) - but still.... it shows that there were other versions of christianity alive and flourishing, despite Eusebius' silly little history, which has had many statements about the orthodox belief having long been disproved by an intrepid young scholar, in case anyone is still clinging to his Church History as authoritative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or