U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 05:41 PM

2,506 posts, read 1,937,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It's based on myth, in the same way that every religion that has ever existed is...Do you still believe in Zeus?
Umm, wrong. Not all religions are based on myth. Some are based on fact, others cannot possilby be proved wrong, while others can be questionable.

To be honest, if someone did still believe in Zues, would it really matter? No. And before you go off on a tangent about politics, religious laws, teaching doctrine in schools, etc. etc. Realize that not all spiritual/religious people do these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 08:25 PM

12,469 posts, read 14,631,909 times
Animus-Perditus....I do not agree that faith is "to believe despite evidence in something"....faith is actually "a believing without proof .....;trust"....a person can be of a particular faith, and yet not be faithful, nor keep faith.......sorry......I agree that faith whether it pertains to religion, or just blind faith for any other thing....it is pooowerful.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:20 PM

2,705 posts, read 2,512,124 times
Quote:
The downside of faith?
The main downside of faith is how easily it can be weaponized. There is something about the human psyche that makes the weaponization of faith very easy.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:07 AM

11,798 posts, read 21,400,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Umm, wrong. Not all religions are based on myth. Some are based on fact...
Fact? Then why is faith necessary? And which are "based on fact"? I'm sure adherents of the others won't look upon being left out kindly.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:17 AM

30,043 posts, read 30,747,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Fact? Then why is faith necessary? And which are "based on fact"? I'm sure adherents of the others won't look upon being left out kindly.
Yeah, I too would like to know which religions are based on fact, as I'm not aware of any.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:51 AM

2,506 posts, read 1,937,835 times
Quote:
Yeah, I too would like to know which religions are based on fact, as I'm not aware of any.
There are plenty of religions that worship the earth and do not attach a god to it or anything mystical, aka Nature worship. Pantheism is another one, though some sects do believe in Gods, most don't and are similar to Nature worship. The church of[SIZE=1][/SIZE]reality is another one that comes to mind.

You are not aware of many things when it comes to religion. I have noticed a trend on here that most of the atheists associate/and confuse all religion as Christian or Muslim.

Step outside the Christian/muslim bashing box and see the many wondrous religions that exist(ed). Even if they are based in myth, they make for some interesting insight to the human being.
[SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Old 10-07-2011, 07:16 AM

5,463 posts, read 5,793,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Umm, wrong. Not all religions are based on myth. Some are based on fact, others cannot possilby be proved wrong, while others can be questionable.
Can you give an example of a few religions based on fact?

Edit - never mind, asked and dodged already.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:42 AM

15,511 posts, read 12,573,474 times
Quote:
You will disagree with me. But, I know you do read with an open mind.

I believe Islam is based on fact and not faith. To be Muslim one has to first believe in God(swt). That, they have to find on their own. Islam is not going to give any magic text book formula of faith and call it proof of God(swt). A person to be a Muslim has to be able to say the Shahadah with Sincerity and knowledge. A person has to honestly know God(swt) exists, not have blind faith he does, when they say the shahadah.

Most, if not all, revert's to Islam, do so with no Islamic teachings, they accept Islam because they have found reason to believe God(swt) exists.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:57 AM

30,043 posts, read 30,747,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
You will disagree with me. But, I know you do read with an open mind.

I believe Islam is based on fact and not faith. (swt). That, they have to find on their own. Islam is not going to give any magic text book formula of faith and call it proof of God(swt). A person to be a Muslim has to be able to say the Shahadah with Sincerity and knowledge. A person has to honestly know God(swt) exists, not have blind faith he does, when they say the shahadah.

Most, if not all, revert's to Islam, do so with no Islamic teachings, they accept Islam because they have found reason to believe God(swt) exists.
"To be Muslim one has to first believe in God" is a statement of faith...You are right, I don't agree with you...Islam, like all other religions is based solely on faith...For Islam to be fact there must be evidence for your god. So far there is no way anyone can possibly KNOW that a god exists since there is no such evidence.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:01 AM

15,511 posts, read 12,573,474 times
Quote:
"To be Muslim one has to first believe in God" is a statement of faith...You are right, I don't agree with you...Islam, like all other religions is based solely on faith...For Islam to be fact there must be evidence for your god. So far there is no way anyone can possibly KNOW that a god exists since there is no such evidence.

Depends on what constitutes faith. Many times in my life that some very bizarre coincidences have occurred that I can only conclude, there is a force that exists beyond the realm of the Laws of Physics. Following the laws of chance I should not have lived past March 17, 1963, The fact these events occurred is enough to convince me that there is an intelligent force. I believe that this force is what I now call Allaah(swt).

It would be a very long story, involving the how's I survived many events I should not have lived past, how I met my wives, How I ended up in ND etc, etc, etc. all of which resulted in me coming to Islam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or