U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,041 posts, read 30,728,275 times
Reputation: 12222

Advertisements

All of us who have lived into our 60s and 70s have these kinds of stories Woodrow. I too have have more than I want to tell, but that's life...Stuff happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Washingtonville
2,506 posts, read 1,936,162 times
Reputation: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Can you give an example of a few religions based on fact?

Edit - never mind, asked and dodged already.
Not dodged. Answer given. It wasn't liked or was ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Washingtonville
2,506 posts, read 1,936,162 times
Reputation: 441
Hey good news. As of 2005 Atheism is considered a religion according to the government. Welcome to the family. It doesn't matter what you say now... there has been a ruling and it is official. Now that it is a religion, and the belief that there is no god cannot be proven you have also joined the faith based portion of religion. Wow... moving fast.

Now in reality, I know atheism isn't a religion. But an atheist can be a member of a religion. Religion does not mean belief in God, it is a belief in a set of practices or beliefs. Atheism does not mean disbelief in religion, it simply means not believing in a deity. Can you belong to a religion and be an atheist at the same time? Why yes, yes you can.

Are all religions based on myth. No technically Hockey is a religion. Sleeping can be a religion. To some people sex is a religion.

Technically our very own government and political parties are a religion.

You wanted reason. I gave you reason. You wanted logic. I gave you logic. What would you like now? Proof? Me too. But until the day comes that it is proven one way or the other, I will freely choose to believe what I want.

It is said that you can't prove a negative. Wrong. According to the very laws of logic... yes you can. Read and enjoy: You can prove a negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,041 posts, read 30,728,275 times
Reputation: 12222
Are you trying to start even more myths? Do you actually believe that everything is a religion just because some authority somewhere has made that claim?

Try thinking for yourself and using your newfound rules of logic to prove that statement...This I gotta see.

Personally I'll stick to the accepted definition of religion.

re∑li∑gion...a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Religion | Define Religion at Dictionary.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Washingtonville
2,506 posts, read 1,936,162 times
Reputation: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Are you trying to start even more myths? Do you actually believe that everything is a religion just because some authority somewhere has made that claim?

Try thinking for yourself and using your newfound rules of logic to prove that statement...This I gotta see.

Personally I'll stick to the accepted definition of religion.

re∑li∑gion...a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Religion | Define Religion at Dictionary.com
Is dictionary.com the authority on definitions? How about websters? Or the legal definition?

No comment on anything else in my post? The only thing you can attack is the definition? You do know that being wrong is ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,041 posts, read 30,728,275 times
Reputation: 12222
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Is dictionary.com the authority on definitions? How about websters? Or the legal definition?

No comment on anything else in my post? The only thing you can attack is the definition? You do know that being wrong is ok.
Attack? Check Websters, or any other dictionary if you wish, but do you really think there is a "legal" definition of the word? Perhaps there is, but in any case you know very well what people are referring to when they use the word religion on this forum. They are talking about the definition I gave above...All the ducking and dodging you are in the habit of doing fools nobody.

You have still failed to answer my question. Which of the three versions of Pantheism do you think is based on fact and not faith?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Washingtonville
2,506 posts, read 1,936,162 times
Reputation: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Attack? Check Websters, or any other dictionary if you wish, but do you really think there is a "legal" definition of the word? Perhaps there is, but in any case you know very well what people are referring to when they use the word religion on this forum. They are talking about the definition I gave above...All the ducking and dodging you are in the habit of doing fools nobody.

You have still failed to answer my question. Which of the three versions of Pantheism do you think is based on fact and not faith?
So everyone on this forum refers to the same definition of religion. Unless yoi speak for everyone, I highly doubt that.

In regards to pantheism, Monist Physicalist Pantheism is based on everything being physical and able to be tested by physics and science. Dualist panthesim is partially based of evidence, fact, and spiritualism. When either refers to god they are generally talking about the universe or galaxy.

You thought I was going to say the other one didn't you? The one bases on mind/spirit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,041 posts, read 30,728,275 times
Reputation: 12222
So, you read minds too? If you insist that I must have a religion then naturalistic pantheism would be pretty close, although I do not define is as a religion, so much as a logical belief with no faith required.

Quote:
Naturalistic pantheism (also called scientific pantheism) is a naturalistic form of pantheism that encompasses feelings of reverence and belonging towards nature and the wider universe, but is realist and embraces rationalism and the scientific method. It presupposes metaphysical naturalism and as such it affirms the nonexistence of supernatural realms, afterlives, beings or forces.
Naturalistic pantheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Remember that the topic is faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Washingtonville
2,506 posts, read 1,936,162 times
Reputation: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So, you read minds too? If you insist that I must have a religion then naturalistic pantheism would be pretty close, although I do not define is as a religion, so much as a logical belief with no faith required.


Naturalistic pantheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Remember that the topic is faith.
Since when were atheists the authority on what classifies as a religion or not. Pantheism is a religion no matter what path you take it. That's like claiming to be Christian and saying you aren't religious.

You asked me to give you an example of a religion not based on myth. You and several other claim that all religions are based on faith or myth. I have just given you proof of this. Then you say that it isn't a religion according to you. Guess what? You don't make that choice. I never said you had to have a religion either.

The only downside to faith is that some people, theists, atheists, religious, and anti-religious people think they can decide the meaning of faith. Faith is simply trust that what you believ in is real. In other words trust. If you look in a thesaurus you will see that faith, trust and belief can be interchangeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,041 posts, read 30,728,275 times
Reputation: 12222
What exactly is your problem with how I define what I believe? I do have the authority to define it any way I like...If you don't like it, that is your problem, not mine.

In the context this thread I will define faith as the dictionary does...Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top