U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2011, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Florida
18,371 posts, read 18,655,446 times
Reputation: 21096

Advertisements

As supected....
"the FCA is the first society of its kind. Dedicated solely to ordaining atheists so that they too may perform ceremonies previously performed by religious men. "
A bit of selling out on principle to achieve a goal but what the hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2011, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 12,587,530 times
Reputation: 7377
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Yes, it was. However *SOMEatheists don't honor that church as legitimate. I know what you are thinking. *SOMEAtheists easily accept the word of one(religion or religious person) as the voice of many or all. But, when it comes to them, that rule doesn't apply.

*The term SOME atheists does not mean all atheists, if you conclude that it does you do this on your own accord, any and all comments directed towards a generalization will be ignored.
I agree that it does not represent all Atheists. Just as I hope you accept that not all Muslims are terrorists.

Individuals are individuals and only represent them self.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Washingtonville
2,506 posts, read 1,940,340 times
Reputation: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I agree that it does not represent all Atheists. Just as I hope you accept that not all Muslims are terrorists.

Individuals are individuals and only represent them self.
To be honest I don't think all Muslims are terrorists. All Christians aren't zealots. However, there are some zealots that are Christians, and some terrorists that are Muslims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 12,587,530 times
Reputation: 7377
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
To be honest I don't think all Muslims are terrorists. All Christians aren't zealots. However, there are some zealots that are Christians, and some terrorists that are Muslims.
Thank you. That is true. I am happy to see you recognize individuals as being individualistic. Perhaps one day all people will see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Washingtonville
2,506 posts, read 1,940,340 times
Reputation: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Thank you. That is true. I am happy to see you recognize individuals as being individualistic. Perhaps one day all people will see that.
That would be nice. It actually makes sense to blame the person not the title they put on it or give. Yes, bad people are religious too, they do bad things in the name of religion. Sadly, these people like to find others that share their mind set. Guess what? This isn't unique to religious people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 05:52 PM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,088 posts, read 12,732,391 times
Reputation: 3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Hey good news. As of 2005 Atheism is considered a religion according to the government. Welcome to the family. It doesn't matter what you say now... there has been a ruling and it is official. Now that it is a religion, and the belief that there is no god cannot be proven you have also joined the faith based portion of religion. Wow... moving fast.

Now in reality, I know atheism isn't a religion. But an atheist can be a member of a religion. Religion does not mean belief in God, it is a belief in a set of practices or beliefs. Atheism does not mean disbelief in religion, it simply means not believing in a deity. Can you belong to a religion and be an atheist at the same time? Why yes, yes you can.

Are all religions based on myth. No technically Hockey is a religion. Sleeping can be a religion. To some people sex is a religion.

Technically our very own government and political parties are a religion.

You wanted reason. I gave you reason. You wanted logic. I gave you logic. What would you like now? Proof? Me too. But until the day comes that it is proven one way or the other, I will freely choose to believe what I want.

It is said that you can't prove a negative. Wrong. According to the very laws of logic... yes you can. Read and enjoy: You can prove a negative.
Well............RED SOX BASEBALL and N.CAROLINA HOOPS, are also religions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Washingtonville
2,506 posts, read 1,940,340 times
Reputation: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well............RED SOX BASEBALL and N.CAROLINA HOOPS, are also religions.
Technically they could be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 12,587,530 times
Reputation: 7377
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Technically they could be.
About 20-30 years ago when I was living in Shreveport, Louisiana my next door neighbor as a joke decided to start a religion and call his house a church and claim a religious tax exemption. He called his religion the "Church of the Holy football" and the religious service consisted of his 'Parishoners" gathering together at his house on Monday Evenings to watch a "Sevice" of Monday Night football and participating in a communion of Beer and Pretzels. He filed the papers, and got his tax exemption with his house being named the Church and him as the Bishop of the Church.

It lasted until it hit the papers. As he was a Bird Colonel on active Duty stationed at Barksdale. The Base Commander did not see the humor of one of his staff officers doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 12:27 AM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
6,994 posts, read 4,328,305 times
Reputation: 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Not dodged. Answer given. It wasn't liked or was ignored.
most scholarly Atheists don't consider "pantheism" or "nature worship" to be religions, but merely philosophies.
To them a "Religion" would not be even Deism. Rel would have to be a form of Theism which sees God as a separate thing, or at least be organized into a theist institution on how to live life and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 12:52 AM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
6,994 posts, read 4,328,305 times
Reputation: 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
[...]
It is said that you can't prove a negative. Wrong. According to the very laws of logic... yes you can. Read and enjoy: You can prove a negative.
negatives? like a triangle is not a square? seems kind of elementary... vague-exitence negatives are the ones that can't be proven. Something that could be called a God COULD exist SOMEHOW, SOMEWHERE. you can't prove a negative when a positive is vague... this is simply true. For example you can't prove A is not B from A is something. You also need the premise: A and B are distinct. "gods don't exist", can be proven as much as "magical unicorns don't exist".

The Law of none contradiction is based on distinction,
Quote:
there is evidence of Unicorns in the written records... therefore unicorns and aliens and bigfoot and Santa Clause exist...
what a narrow-minded website. You SIMPLY CAN'T prove beyond doubt anything except:

1. I think,
2. I exist
3. I'm Agnostic
4. all other definitions.

WAIT A MINUTE, I read the professor's blog until the end; you should do that too, you see, I actually TOOK philosophy in college and I KNOW they say you CAN'T prove anything certainly unless you are all-knowing... or get lucky. Meaning that in Induction you have to get lucky, but in Deduction you don't. He also says you can't prove anything with 100% certainty, and that
Quote:
You can prove a negative — at least as much as you can prove anything at all.
Definitely you CANT prove a negative existence argument based on induction. Nor can you even prove a positive one. Simply saying "there is no fossil record of Jesus" won't prove to anyone that he didn't exist.

Atheists already use "induction" to "prove" their beliefs. and Agnostics use "logic" to "prove" theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top