Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:50 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,608 times

Advertisements

What exactly is your problem with how I define what I believe? I do have the authority to define it any way I like...If you don't like it, that is your problem, not mine.

Finally. A logical and reasonable comment. As individuals we define what we believe. Therefore, a reasonable response to theism If you don't believe in it is to state just that and leave it be, same goes for atheism. This is also the case with some religions trying to put laws and standards upon everyone else. We all believe differently when it comes to religion and spirituality.

Religion and irreligion are both very opinion based topics. Since we all have varying opinions on these subjects the only reasonable way to deal with it is to leave it alone.
I believe in things like reiki and other alternative practices. You do not share all my beliefs, we should avoid topics of conflict and help each other grow in areas we do share similar opinions.

Do you see now how the concept of faith/belief isn't bad? It is the individual that is bad and uses it as a tool to do harm or for greed. Almost anything can be used in such a way. Just look at how some companies/people use humans natural ability to become dependent on something to entrap people for their own gain. There is not greater tool than hope, just below that is fear.

I apologize if I offended you in any way. I do find that you are a very wise person with lots to offer others. I enjoy our conversations as I always end up learning something new either from you or through further study of a topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 03:58 PM

so i guess that settled it? ...

Old 10-10-2011, 04:10 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
so i guess that settled it? ...
I'm wasting my time, but one more thing...There is a downside to faith, when reality and facts are ignored in favor of faith. In many cases that can, and has been harmful, even causing death.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I'm wasting my time, but one more thing...There is a downside to faith, when reality and facts are ignored in favor of faith. In many cases that can, and has been harmful, even causing death.
This is not unique to faith. I do agree that it can do this. When parents choose prayer in favor of medicine for example. However, considering the amount of people that have faith compared to the number of people who ignore facts to this level, this really doesn't show that faith is bad. It shows that it has its flaws.

Guess what? Science has it's flaws too. Medicine is given out to people each and every day. This medicine has side effects, it can even cause death. However, scientists believe that the ones that do have that severe of a reaction to the meds where already going to die from their medical problem. This seems like one of those cold facts of medicine, but in reality that same medicine could save someones life, many lives even.

Does this mean that all medicines are bad since all meds can cause fatal reactions? No. It means that even science isn't perfect.

You might not see how faith can save a life, but it can. It saved my life once. It's true that I don't follow that faith anymore and have changed where I put my faith.

Faith saves hundreds of people each year. It helps people get off drugs, gives them food to eat, clothing to wear, and yes actually can save a life. I know many Christians that go to prisons each week to spread their message, many of these prisoners that choose to hear it, end up as decent members of society. Society has given up on them, but these few people have decided to spread a message of hope, forgiveness, salvation. Even if the message holds no truth, the message is still just as strong and can save a life that would either end up in prison the rest of their life, or worse.

So before you go attacking a single cultural group, look around you and see for yourself how many other things are worse then belief in false gods.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:03 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times
Quote:
Hey good news. As of 2005 Atheism is considered a religion according to the government.
Proof?

Old 10-11-2011, 06:04 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times
Quote:
Not dodged. Answer given. It wasn't liked or was ignored.
What facts back up religious pantheism?

Old 10-11-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Proof?
Court rules atheism a religion . If you bothered to read the rest of my post you would see that I don't think atheism is a religion. However, It does classify as a religious view, so technically it is a form of religious belief.

Quote:
What facts back up religious pantheism?
Umm... Really? Just look it up. It is labeled as a religion. There are three types, one that bases their faith on facts that can be tested by physics, one that is based on both physical and spiritual, and one that is just spiritual.

I guess my question to you is, what do you "THINK" makes it not a religion?

Old 10-11-2011, 10:24 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Bad decision by the court.
Like making corporations "persons"
Neccessary protections/rights could have been provided another way.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:28 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Proof?
It was bound to happen:

Quote:
As a legally ordained minister, you will be able to perform weddings, funerals, commitment ceremonies, and other functions that are reserved for members of clergy.
Since its inception, the First Church of Atheism has amassed quite a following around the world. FCA ministers come from all walks of life. They are every race, ethnicity, age, and creed. The one thing binding every FCA minister is his or her belief in science, reason, and reality.

The First Church of Atheism wants you to pursue and cherish your realistic beliefs without interference from any outside agency, including government or church authority. We provide our service for free, as we believe it is every atheists right to perform these clergy functions.
You may become a legally ordained minister for life, without cost, and without question.
First Church of Atheism

Old 10-11-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It was bound to happen:

First Church of Atheism

Yes, it was. However *SOMEatheists don't honor that church as legitimate. I know what you are thinking. *SOMEAtheists easily accept the word of one(religion or religious person) as the voice of many or all. But, when it comes to them, that rule doesn't apply.

*The term SOME atheists does not mean all atheists, if you conclude that it does you do this on your own accord, any and all comments directed towards a generalization will be ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality