U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 08:52 AM

12,899 posts, read 18,446,350 times

Advertisements

17 Miracles Official Movie Trailer (2011) - A T.C. Christensen Film - YouTube

...with my wife.

Just a little background, My wife is Mormon, I'm a heathen unbeliever and we both have some pioneer roots; My great,great grandpa was a polygamist who's family was driven out of Missouri in the first wave of pioneers to Utah, and my wife had ancestors in the same handcart company that was dramatized in the movie.

We both cried like babies, but for different reasons. My wife "felt the spirit" and felt religiously energized and thankful for the suffering of our ancestors, as was the clear intent of the movie's producers.

I on the other hand felt intensely angry at Brigham Young and even Joseph Smith for creating the movement that caused my ancestors so much pain and suffering. Normally I don't get mad at it all, but this time was different.

What kind of freaking idiot(s) "commands" hundreds of green immigrants fresh of the boat without a penny to their name to walk across half the continent under the worst of circumstances with their wives and children in tow with only a freaking handcart to carry their provisions!!!!!

I hope there is a god and that he/she/it really did help those people, but I wish the modern day mormon church members would stop spinning the real human suffering of the past from a bad situation that was created by the leadership of the church in the first place into the message: "Believe in us now, because people 150 years ago suffered and died."

rant over.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:42 AM

12,899 posts, read 18,446,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
The same kind of idiots who commanded their followers to commit mass murder. Look up 'Mountain Meadows Massacre'. The Mormon church was and is to this day, a horrific religion.
It's been a long time since the mormons played the wild-west style kill and be killed game.. but yea... blind faith is disturbingly blind.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:22 AM

21,260 posts, read 20,865,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
[youtube]What kind of freaking idiot(s) "commands" hundreds of green immigrants fresh of the boat without a penny to their name to walk across half the continent under the worst of circumstances with their wives and children in tow with only a freaking handcart to carry their provisions!!!!!
Actually, there were ten handcart companies, most of them incredibly successful in enabling some of the poorest Mormon converts to cross the plains and settle the Salt Lake Valley. My great-grandfather was the leader of the third company. Eight of those companies brought 98% of their members (nearly 1900 individuals) to Salt Lake City safely. It was actually a very efficient means of transport overall.

Brigham Young was not responsible for the two companies that left too late in the season. If anyone was to blame, it was Franklin Richards, the highest-ranking official in Florence, Nebraska, the starting point for the journey. It was his call to send the Willie and Martin companies off when he did, in spite of Brigham Young's suggesting that they wait until Spring. Furthermore, anyone who wanted to wait till Spring was free to do so. Obviously, a lot of people made a tragically infortunate judgment call. People have a habit of being stupid from time to time. It is what it is.

Quote:
I hope there is a god and that he/she/it really did help those people, but I wish the modern day mormon church members would stop spinning the real human suffering of the past from a bad situation that was created by the leadership of the church in the first place into the message: "Believe in us now, because people 150 years ago suffered and died."
That's a stupid conclusion, Chango. Nobody's saying, "Believe in us now, because people 150 years ago suffered and died." Nobody has ever said that or anything like it.

Quote:
rant over.
Promise? (I like you better when you're in a joking mood. )

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-05-2011 at 11:52 AM..

Old 10-05-2011, 11:31 AM

525 posts, read 742,906 times
morman religion? I like the dudes biking around converting people.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:22 PM

13,459 posts, read 21,199,786 times
Denominational bashing is not allowed.

"Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or