Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 05:28 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,881,022 times

Advertisements

Even though I have always been an Atheist, I can accept that many people, including my own children, look out at this beautiful world and believe there is some supernatural force that keeps everything working. In other words, many intelligent people believe in a god.

In trying to understand your relationship to god, why do you need to follow what other people say? If he wanted you to live a certain way, don't you think he would tell you himself?

Did your god give you a brain just so you would believe what other people tell you to believe?

Heck, maybe your god doesn't even care how you live your life. He could have created you, an earthworm, and a sponge just the way you are, and he is happy just to let you do as you see fit.

Why are you so eager to join some kind of organized faith? Wouldn't it be more interesting to just sit under a tree like Buddah did and figure out your own answers to life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 05:44 PM

241 posts, read 473,861 times
To have a good life and thats what Islam gave me
Thank God

Old 10-05-2011, 05:51 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,033,251 times
There is that 'herd mentality' thing about humans, that might be a very good clue.
There's also the propensity to set down rules, laws, dogmas and orthodox statements about one's religion. Martin Luther, in breaking from the Catholic Church and claiming that every person should have the right to interpret scripture for themselves, soon found that not everyone had the ability to interpret scripture - so his new brand of religion became just as organized, just as dogmatic and just as authorial as the one he escaped from.

There were some interesting comments made by a professor Robert Odeen that showed that most cults or breakaway sects that were exclusive by nature eventually became very organized and inclusive. Sects that once met in homes and basements had their own church buildings in no time at all.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:00 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,997,191 times
Default Top survey answer... Hebrews 10:25!

Hebrews 10:25

King James Version (KJV)
25Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.Hebrews 10:25 KJV - Not forsaking the assembling of - Bible Gateway

I don't attend anymore these days like most but assemblement seems to be a covenant one has a charge to keep, if you are a believer of course.

hiker45 He could have created you, an earthworm, and a sponge just the way you are, and he is happy just to let you do as you see fit.

gabfest Perhaps this^ is what seperates man from beast or perhaps man is too socially conscious. Most people are happy and do as they see fit , maybe they just appear unhappy to you.

R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Last edited by gabfest; 10-05-2011 at 06:29 PM..

Old 10-05-2011, 06:02 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,122,489 times
Hiker,
I don't "need" organized religion, but to keep the peace with my husband & to help my children learn some good teachings, along with what I teach them, I go to church each Sunday. I also enjoy the sense of community. When I went to the hospital & after giving birth to each of my children, many people from my church came to bring meals. They've also been there at other times I've needed them & I've tried to be there for others. It's a convenient way to express & receive love.

Yes, it is sometimes annoying & lonely to hear beliefs accepted without much thought, when I believe differently & want to explore deeper meanings.
Sometimes religious beliefs make people feel excessive shame, fear or other stress. It's helped to redefine gospel terms in ways that are more inspiring to me.
Currently, I don't look to religion for spirituality. I look more to my own methods of meditation... music, nature, yoga etc.

Hiker, you too have used your brain to believe what others tell you to believe. How can you not?
Your parents, your teachers, media... besides all those who've lived for centuries who's thoughts have culminated into your current thinking.
I used to be into the traditional religious thought & maybe you were too.
To tease others for believing as you did before is similar to sophmores teasing freshmen for being a year younger.
We're works in progress.

Last edited by SuperSoul; 10-05-2011 at 06:26 PM..

Old 10-05-2011, 06:21 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,506,516 times
Humans are generally social creatures. So we form organizations. It's not like this is unique to theism. Britain has "The National Secular Society" and the Norwegians have the humanist Human-Etisk Forbund. Going beyond religion/irreligion you have political parties, pressure groups, social clubs, etc.

Also there is a value and necessity to an authority telling you things. Not everyone can know everything so an authoritative teaching allows for knowledge and solidity in a way relativism doesn't. And although you might reflexively dislike that thought you probably are partaking of it anyway. If you brush your teeth, or floss, you're likely doing it because a learned authority said it's good for them. It's not like children, or pretty much anyone in pre-modern times, naturally did those things. Same with various medications. Did you personally do the studies of cholesterol, anxiety, allergy, etc drugs or just take it because a doctor prescribed it? There's likely something in physical science you don't personally understand, but that you accept based on trust of the method and the authority of the scientists who use it.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:25 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,122,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Humans are generally social creatures. So we form organizations. It's not like this is unique to theism. Britain has "The National Secular Society" and the Norwegians have the humanist Human-Etisk Forbund. Going beyond religion/irreligion you have political parties, pressure groups, social clubs, etc.

Also there is a value and necessity to an authority telling you things. Not everyone can know everything so an authoritative teaching allows for knowledge and solidity in a way relativism doesn't. And although you might reflexively dislike that thought you probably are partaking of it anyway. If you brush your teeth, or floss, you're likely doing it because a learned authority said it's good for them. It's not like children, or pretty much anyone in pre-modern times, naturally did those things. Same with various medications. Did you personally do the studies of cholesterol, anxiety, allergy, etc drugs or just take it because a doctor prescribed it? There's likely something in physical science you don't personally understand, but that you accept based on trust of the method and the authority of the scientists who use it.
Good points, Thomas!

Old 10-05-2011, 06:34 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,191,902 times
I've been afraid to ask this question, so thanks. I'll just observe because I've been wondering this for a long time.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:33 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,321,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

To answer the OP. I discovered a few years ago that I can be in "church" any time I want to. Whenever I ponder life's mysteries I feel as if I am in "Church", when I am meditating I feel like I am at "church". I don't follow any traditional religion or believe in any of the Gods out there right now. I guess you could say I believe in a source, call it the big bang or the first molecule... not really sure and I don't care if I ever do, the fun is in the research.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:05 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,046,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Even though I have always been an Atheist, I can accept that many people, including my own children, look out at this beautiful world and believe there is some supernatural force that keeps everything working. In other words, many intelligent people believe in a god.

In trying to understand your relationship to god, why do you need to follow what other people say? If he wanted you to live a certain way, don't you think he would tell you himself?

Did your god give you a brain just so you would believe what other people tell you to believe?

Heck, maybe your god doesn't even care how you live your life. He could have created you, an earthworm, and a sponge just the way you are, and he is happy just to let you do as you see fit.

Why are you so eager to join some kind of organized faith? Wouldn't it be more interesting to just sit under a tree like Buddah did and figure out your own answers to life?
It's less work to be told some answers, be they right or wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality