U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:45 AM

16,301 posts, read 24,228,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
Hilarious. Also worth considering that if not for Steve and Woz, the Internet would likely still just be the domain of nerdy engineering majors and the military, and practically nobody outside of Topeka would have ever even heard of WBC.

Come to think of it, that's maybe not the most rousing endorsement of the man...
As I read your first sentence, this was my first thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 09:48 AM

7,811 posts, read 5,059,606 times
There has been some debate sparked on another forum in Ireland after the following post by a user there. I have commented on it over there so I likely won't comment too much HERE, but I thought it would be worth pasting below for your consideration. Given I do not subscribe to the notion of there being a god I found the words somewhat abhorrent, but I will let you decide yourselves.

Quote:
His death just got my thoughts meandering. How futile, how vain life without God is. Being finite, is such a nothing. You can be what the world calls a success, and be nothing real. Dead at 56. 'He's got it all', No he doesn't. Without his life he has nothing. 'But look at his legacy'. His legacy is meaningless, as he is dead. In the words of Solomon, 'Its all vanity'. Without God, ultimately, you are nothing!

Old 10-08-2011, 07:46 AM

2,539 posts, read 3,272,645 times
Just an FYI, Steve Jobs was a Buddhist.
And Nozzferrahhtoo, that's just your opinion, and a very egotistical view if you ask me.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:44 AM

4,119 posts, read 4,593,903 times
Well Steve Jobs will be missed...as for him going to heaven, well that's God's call not mine. He was a genius and everytime I see a phone I think of him..it's amazing what an influence he had over technology-
Steve Jobs-RIP

Old 10-08-2011, 10:49 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,696,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Just an FYI, Steve Jobs was a Buddhist.
And Nozzferrahhtoo, that's just your opinion, and a very egotistical view if you ask me.
Thank you for pointing that out. I read the first post referring to him as an atheist and I was going to correct it. You beat me to it. Maybe he is a newborn baby out there somewhere right now...

Old 10-08-2011, 10:53 AM

1,808 posts, read 1,519,311 times
Though I never knew the man, Steve Jobs nevertheless had an enormous impact on my early life. It's hard to explain just how an American multinational corporation like Apple could impact a seven-year-old boy, but I'll do my best.

Twenty-two years ago, I was a frightend young child in grade-school. I suffered the pain of being the target of most of the bullies in the school; a common event for most people classified as 'nerds', I suppose, but doubly damning because of my ADHD -- I was impulsive, intelligent and perhaps (in part) because of the bullying, quite hot-tempered. I spent more time in the Principal's office than I did in the classroom on any given day. And because I was impulsive, and hyperactive, most of the teachers quickly became exasperated with my energy and inattentiveness.

And then, I discovered the school's computer lab. I couldn't type well, of course (learning to type was 'boring' and I was much more inclined to explore the computer), but the computer wouldn't tease me. It wouldn't call me names, or goad me into fights, or become exasperated when I didn't pay attention. Most of all, I understood it. Click a button, get a result -- usually, the same result as before, but on occasion something new would happen and I would find something fun to play with.

Discovering that computer lab and the treasures it held for my eternally-curious mind (not iMacs, but the original Apple IIe with built-in disk-drive) gave my parents and teachers a way to channel that energy; if I finished my homework (however boring) I could stay in the computer lab at lunchtime. If I stayed out of trouble, I could have some extra time during class.

In a strange, indirect way, Steve Jobs changed my life. He took a scared, nerdy, impulsive seven-year-old bully-target and showed him the value of intelligence, creativity and fearlessness. He taught me that I don't have to be afraid of asking questions, making mistakes, or exploring my own potential.

Mr. Jobs, you never knew me, or the impact you had on my life, but you were a visionary, a creative genius, and one of the true pioneers of the Information Age.

Your absence will be keenly felt in years to come, but I'm sure you've upgraded the Summerlands to ver. 1.5 by now .

Old 10-08-2011, 04:52 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,890,181 times
He actually said, "those that know they are bound for Heaven?!"

No, a true atheist wouldn't talk like that, or...he then distance himself from Heaven by saying other things in the same context, to make it clear that "heaven doesn't exist" sort of thing. hmm....

I dare to suspect that even if it's a very small percentage, that there actually can be some in heaven that in their intellects, had embraced Atheism. *yeah, I know....when some of my pentecostal relatives hear I think this way, they're going to be very burdened for my eternal destiny.

Jesus is the way. I get it and embrace it. Jesus is not walking the earth right now. He is a spirit, and He knocks on our hearts. how?? well, only way I can guess is by dealing in the supernatural realm, or FROM it, I mean, with our consciences.

So, if an atheist obeys their conscience, they are obeying Jesus even though they do not know it. Yes! God cannot lie.

Bible says that "the pure in heart will see God.
Says "those that practice righteousness are Righteous."

I get it. Only God and Jesus can read our minds, and see truly who among us is without malice, hatefulness, resentments and other really bad, earthly desires. Upon what we are, even in thought, we will be sent to one of two, oppoiste abodes, and with billions on the earth, there has just GOT to be "some" atheists that honestly are this bright of souls.

If so, I know where they will spend Eternity, and I hope I make it there, too.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:20 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,062,995 times
Default Spiritual misunderstandings about one of the world's most clear-headed men!

First off, my OP comment of Mr. Job's atheistic position partly reflected my own definitions. I consider Buddhists to be sometime atheists, since they certainly do not bow to a particular greater Godly entity, a universal mono-theistic pursuit of regulated, chanting sorts of acknowledgement (of a badly reflective image of themselves, which ,IMHO, is all the Christian God is...).

Sunnysee: you noted that:

"He actually said, "those that know they are bound for Heaven?!"

No, a true atheist wouldn't talk like that, or...he then distance himself from Heaven by saying other things in the same context, to make it clear that "heaven doesn't exist" sort of thing. hmm...."

Nope. You completely misunderstand.

Of course, I didn't provide the entire very lengthy context of Steve's ground-breaking speech. I also now note that it should perhaps be read, and re-read, by many devout spiritualists for context and philosophical depth of understanding about their own lives!

He was simply noting that by saying "even for those who do believe in heaven...." he was simply respecting that there are those who do, those who do not, and those in between, or are possibly of some other persuasion. His larger point was that despite one's claimed spiritual viewpoint & perspectives, death is the truest and most defining motivator in everyone's life, "even for those..." etc. He'd certainly been thusly motivated for a time. (When he gave this commencement speech, he thought they had found and fully cured his cancerous condition. But in between, he'd been rather sharply re-motivated. Get it?).

Steve always thought outside the box, and openly and eagerly considered any and all options. It was the fundamental difference between he and, for instance, Bill Gates, who essentially stole many of his one-time friend's initial outstanding ideas. Like a graphics "windows" type interface.

Gates: "Hey! Great idea! Let's copy it, but why not let's call our PC version "Windows!" And make it look almost exactly like the Mac!"

(Too bad it had to operate overtop a clumsy DOS platform. How conflicted was that, once inside the device? Yikes!).

And thus, the original patent infringement lawsuit and parting of once-true friends. All over greed and independence of thinking. Hmmm.. I wonder if Bill Gates is a Christian.... That would certainly not surprise me.

Of all the people I've thought about, studied or considered to be truly benchmark thinkers, Steve Jobs was certainly not ever limited by any strict set of rules and behavioral regulations, to the degree demanded in formal, literal Christianity, Islam, Buddhism or even hard-core atheism. Steve was, and always will be, the penultimate "his own man". Hardly the mark of a dedicated rule-abiding fundamentalist Anything, huh?

And I for one am very greatful for that crucial and huge spiritual independence. Some of us can only hope to emulate it to some tiny degree...

Be at peace, Mr. jobs. You deserve it, but if perchance you are "up there", perhaps you can intervene and make heaven (if it does exist as so glowingly described by it's ardent supporters I mean...) a bit more intuitive? Thanks!

Last edited by rifleman; 10-08-2011 at 05:33 PM..

Old 10-08-2011, 06:40 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,228,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
He actually said, "those that know they are bound for Heaven?!"

No, a true atheist wouldn't talk like that, or...he then distance himself from Heaven by saying other things in the same context, to make it clear that "heaven doesn't exist" sort of thing. hmm....
You really should try and pay just a little bit of attention, it would go a long way toward giving the impression of some intelligence.

He was Buddhist, common knowledge, and many people have posted that he was Buddhist.

Please pay attention.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:06 AM

7,811 posts, read 5,059,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
What is just my opinion exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality