U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 09:23 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,945,285 times

Advertisements

Why do some religions not proselytize and do you respect them more because of it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 09:30 AM

16,301 posts, read 24,240,875 times
Are you talking about "organized" proselytizing, i.e. asking/requiring that followers go door-to-door or handing out pamphlets on street corners, or funding and sending missionaries to foreign lands to convert the heathens that inhabit it?

Or the less formal, where followers are 'encouraged' to talk to your friends and neighbors and get them to come to church?

Or where their position is "I will bother no one about my beliefs, unless asked"

Old 10-07-2011, 02:29 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,355,046 times
I don't know why they don't proselytize, but I do respect them more because of it.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:59 PM

15,727 posts, read 9,118,046 times
Probably because the religions that don't think you must believe as everyone else in that religion does to avoid going to Hell, don't feel the need to force their beliefs on other people. If you're interested, they will discuss them, but religion is a personal thing, not something meant for a Hallmark Card.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Are you talking about "organized" proselytizing, i.e. asking/requiring that followers go door-to-door or handing out pamphlets on street corners, or funding and sending missionaries to foreign lands to convert the heathens that inhabit it?

Or the less formal, where followers are 'encouraged' to talk to your friends and neighbors and get them to come to church?

Or where their position is "I will bother no one about my beliefs, unless asked"
I am speaking of a religion that believes that converting others is part of their mission. A religion in which 'keeping it to yourself' is not an attitude.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Probably because the religions that don't think you must believe as everyone else in that religion does to avoid going to Hell, don't feel the need to force their beliefs on other people. If you're interested, they will discuss them, but religion is a personal thing, not something meant for a Hallmark Card.
How will a person know that a person with such beliefs is approachable for religious discussion if you are not broadcasting it?

Old 10-07-2011, 04:27 PM

5,478 posts, read 6,191,595 times
FYI, traditionally Mennonites, Hutterites and Amish (I am a Mennonite) did not proselytize because "a light on a mountain cannot be hidden" and "by their fruits ye shall know them."

There are Mennonite groups now that do proselytize.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:28 PM

2,949 posts, read 2,253,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Why do some religions not proselytize and do you respect them more because of it?
A.) Why do some religions not proselytize? Most religions (99.9%) proselytize. Even religions that have not realised they are in fact a religion, proselytize.
Would you care to offer an example or three of 'religions' you claim do not proselytize? How'd you hear about them?

B.)do you respect them more because of it? No; who knows what looms in the minds of the secret societies?

Old 10-07-2011, 05:05 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,066,870 times
Quakers, Judaism, Santeria...

Old 10-07-2011, 05:56 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,248,421 times
It varies. There are some religions that are "tribal", that refer to God or Spirits relationship to their people. Most of the traditional American Indian religions, Judaism, Parsis, and Shinto are kind of like that. Some of them accepted converts, but converting was often like becoming one with that "tribe."

Some feel they are not precisely "a tribe" but that they're a system not meant or right for everyone. The Amish are kind of like that. Conversion to the Amish can happen, though not in all Amish groups, but it's extremely rare. From what I've read you can live and believe as Amish for many years before they decide to allow you to formally join. The one Amish convert I knew of was David Luthy, who had been a Catholic.

The sociology of Canadian Mennonites ... - Donovan E. Smucker - Google Books
So you want to join the Amish
http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ing-amish.html

As for more or less respect if "proselytizing" means badgering people to convert than I'd say I generally prefer religions that don't proselytize. Although if it just means any evangelizing, any telling me of their faith or desire for converts, than on a certain level I'd prefer proselytizing religions. I like the idea of religions that aren't tribal or completely closed-off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality