U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:55 AM

2,358 posts, read 1,377,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Is that a rhetorical question?
We are all spirits in a different development level inhabiting a material form.
I think our spiritual sides inform our actions a great deal. It helps us question ourselves and our motives. It helps us consider others as ourselves at times. Our past struggles help us appreciate what some others are going through, no?

One thing, we each have to plow our own path. People without questions concerning their religion, who just accept, may be doing themselves a disservice. I don't believe that you should visit one school of thought to the exclusion of others. I think you should get ideas from every source. Life, itself, is our teacher.

According to some teachings we have multiple bodies, each more refined than the last and after leaving this material realm we will just advance to another, learning and playing the game there.
Is this simply rhetoric? Or do you have any solid basis for anything you just said?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 12:20 PM

514 posts, read 617,459 times
Quote:
Does/can a person's spirituality develop as well?
I believe this is definitely possible; whether it happens depends on an individual's level of effort in this. I believe it takes much introspection and meditation, along with quiet hours of thought and contemplation. For me I found that reading helps too (people whose lives inspire me for some reason have led me to much time spent in contemplation; I believe this has helped me to develop spiritually as well).

Quote:
How do you make such judgments - or is that possible?
I'm not sure about this; I'm quite sure there's no standardization (such as in the intelligence tests). I feel it's subjective to a large degree.

Quote:
Do the more highly evolved, spiritually, espouse certain beliefs in common, no matter what religion they belong to?
Not sure about this either. In my own efforts at spiritual development, I have found that I have espoused some beliefs that people whom I admire arrived at later in life (they belonged to a different religion than I do); I'm not sure if that means anything, I just think it's interesting.

Quote:
Are there certain religions or practices that enhance this growth?
Probably. Not aware of any specifics. I get the impression that eastern religions may do this more than western, but have no claims to back this up.

Quote:
Are 'miracles' or psychic occurrences an indication of advancement?
No, I don't believe this. I don't have any reasons for it, it just does not ring true for me.

On the whole, I do not believe spiritual development is a linear processs. I believe there are many times of setbacks, and times when you find yourself right back where you started. I think the most important thing to understand is that it is always possible to move forward and to not get overwhelmed by any large setbacks. Effort with an sincere heart is most important here.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:22 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,721,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab;21240415I
On the whole, I do not believe spiritual development is a linear process. I believe there are many times of setbacks, and times when you find yourself right back where you started. I think the most important thing to understand is that it is always possible to move forward and to not get overwhelmed by any large setbacks. Effort with an sincere heart is most important here.
I think we do not lose what true progress we have made. I believe setbacks often allow us to see the same situation in a slightly different perspective. Yes, the sincere heart and absence of the inflated ego - not always easy. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality