U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2011, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,411 posts, read 14,821,921 times
Reputation: 8674

Advertisements

We can measure, to some degree, growth in intelligence by tests.

Does/can a person's spirituality develop as well?

How do you make such judgments - or is that possible?

Do the more highly evolved, spiritually, espouse certain beliefs in common, no matter what religion they belong to?

Are there certain religions or practices that enhance this growth?

Are 'miracles' or psychic occurrences an indication of advancement?

Please keep biblical quotations to a minimum. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-08-2011, 02:05 AM
 
Location: Metromess
11,798 posts, read 20,059,138 times
Reputation: 4958
First define "spirituality".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2011, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,444 posts, read 10,934,825 times
Reputation: 7235
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
First define "spirituality".
Agree, for something to be measured, it has to be known specifically what is being measured. But even then there may be things that can not be measured.

Spirituality may fall into this realm, as there may not be an all inclusive concept of spirituality. But, generally if something can be described, it can be measured, even abstract concepts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2011, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,411 posts, read 14,821,921 times
Reputation: 8674
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
First define "spirituality".
Yes, it's like defining 'love'.

Sometimes you can get a handle on things by their attributes.
I think most spiritually advanced people are tolerant, but do they and should they tolerate fools - people who labor under misconceptions and lead others astray by doing so? Or, maybe if you are easily lead by a fool it is some sort of learning experience that you must go through to mature.

Is sin merely misconception? If so, it is easier to love the sinner and hate the sin, no?

If sin is misconception, then is the more spiritually advanced smarter than most? Probably. At least wiser, I would think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2011, 11:48 PM
 
Location: Washingtonville
2,506 posts, read 1,752,960 times
Reputation: 441
Goldengrain, to answer your OP, Yes. Studies actually show that in some way the more "spiritual" are generally smarter.

For example: Meditation, though it is not just for people who are spiritual, it is partly considered a practice of spirituality. Meditation Can Improve Concentration, Studies Say - TIME , Research on meditation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Martial arts are also considered to be a spiritual practice. It also shows that those who are in martial art benefit from it mentally.

Just being spiritual isn't going to cut it. I think that most spiritual people (not cookie cutter religious) are more intelligent because of their desire to know more. Everyone I know that claims to be spiritual and not any traditional religion are highly intelligent people. However, intelligence doesn't care if you are spiritual, religious, or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 05:57 AM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,411 posts, read 14,821,921 times
Reputation: 8674
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Goldengrain, to answer your OP, Yes. Studies actually show that in some way the more "spiritual" are generally smarter.

For example: Meditation, though it is not just for people who are spiritual, it is partly considered a practice of spirituality. Meditation Can Improve Concentration, Studies Say - TIME , Research on meditation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Martial arts are also considered to be a spiritual practice. It also shows that those who are in martial art benefit from it mentally.

Just being spiritual isn't going to cut it. I think that most spiritual people (not cookie cutter religious) are more intelligent because of their desire to know more. Everyone I know that claims to be spiritual and not any traditional religion are highly intelligent people. However, intelligence doesn't care if you are spiritual, religious, or not.
Uh-oh. This almost sounds like a chicken or the egg situation.

Folks who are initially smarter think there must be a better way, go on a spiritual quest and achieve a certain level of higher development.

But those on the path to that higher development will end up with greater intelligence as a result of that endeavor.

So, perhaps there is a need for the 'old' religion left behind to cater to the great unwashed who do not have the inclination toward nor ability for the loftier pursuits?

I read, years back, some writing that claimed many religions had levels within them, one that was dogmatic and used the carrot and stick approach for the masses and a higher level that was more esoteric and philosophical the the more intelligent. Maybe so, I never saw it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 06:46 AM
 
2,264 posts, read 1,930,439 times
Reputation: 387
Those of us who are spirits and have accepted/concluded this realization have in fact won at least half of the battle. After the realization/comprehension that one is a spirit that has manifested into the flesh then the true fun can begin because you are a spirit trapped into a material world.
What benefit does your spiritual side have for you in a material world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,411 posts, read 14,821,921 times
Reputation: 8674
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Those of us who are spirits and have accepted/concluded this realization have in fact won at least half of the battle. After the realization/comprehension that one is a spirit that has manifested into the flesh then the true fun can begin because you are a spirit trapped into a material world.
What benefit does your spiritual side have for you in a material world?
Is that a rhetorical question?
We are all spirits in a different development level inhabiting a material form.
I think our spiritual sides inform our actions a great deal. It helps us question ourselves and our motives. It helps us consider others as ourselves at times. Our past struggles help us appreciate what some others are going through, no?

One thing, we each have to plow our own path. People without questions concerning their religion, who just accept, may be doing themselves a disservice. I don't believe that you should visit one school of thought to the exclusion of others. I think you should get ideas from every source. Life, itself, is our teacher.

According to some teachings we have multiple bodies, each more refined than the last and after leaving this material realm we will just advance to another, learning and playing the game there.

Last edited by goldengrain; 10-09-2011 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 07:11 AM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,799 posts, read 5,643,076 times
Reputation: 5146
Interesting questions.
First of all knowledge does not always equal intelligence.
Knowledge can be the retention of facts and figures, but intelligence is being able to piece the facts and figures together in order to understand how they correspond to each other, in a comprehensive manor.
Some people evolve spiritually, but unfortunately not enough. Spiritual evolution requires something that is difficult for humans to do. That is to set aside the human ego and personal prejudice and to accept truth on its own merits. That usually means admitting you are wrong about views you may have previously held. It is impossible to embrace new points of view, when you refuse to let go of the old ones.
Finally, the majority of religion was conceived not to enhance spirituality, but to control people.
Spirituality begins with an honest knowledge of yourself.
To know yourself, is the foundation stone of knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 07:53 AM
 
2,445 posts, read 2,355,485 times
Reputation: 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
We can measure, to some degree, growth in intelligence by tests.

Does/can a person's spirituality develop as well?

How do you make such judgments - or is that possible?

Do the more highly evolved, spiritually, espouse certain beliefs in common, no matter what religion they belong to?

Are there certain religions or practices that enhance this growth?

Are 'miracles' or psychic occurrences an indication of advancement?

Please keep biblical quotations to a minimum. Thanks.
Other than creating some questions with generally agreed upon answers about spirituality, I don't think there's another way.

There were fMRI scans of the brains of monks before during, and after meditation, but I wouldn't call that spirituality.

Also, miracles and psychic occurences are subjective beliefs, if not patent lies. Although if you mean intuition and instinct, you could use that if you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top