U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-12-2011, 09:23 AM
 
Location: California
3,897 posts, read 4,756,445 times
Reputation: 3057

Advertisements

“This is the true joy in life … being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one … being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy … I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die. For the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle to me. It’s a sort of splendid torch which I’ve got to hold up for the moment and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing on to future generations.”
George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2011, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,022 posts, read 24,687,970 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
“This is the true joy in life … being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one … being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy … I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die. For the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle to me. It’s a sort of splendid torch which I’ve got to hold up for the moment and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing on to future generations.”
George Bernard Shaw
You're killing me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 06:55 PM
 
2,031 posts, read 2,295,130 times
Reputation: 1375
Default Two Simple Rules For Happiness

1) Knowing the few, short, trite rules that will make every other person on Earth happy
2) Telling the other 7 billion of us that we'd just be happy if we'd heed those few, short, trite rules of yours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Mammoth Lakes, CA
3,089 posts, read 6,631,349 times
Reputation: 7139
All of these rules are ludicrously simplistic.

So some indigent off the street comes in and murders your beloved mother, hacks her into pieces and stores her body parts in his freezer (forgive me for being graphic)....

Based on these rules, you're simply supposed to "free your heart from hatred?"

Good luck on that one.

Real life is a helluva lot more complex and nuanced than these Doris Day rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 06:59 PM
 
2,447 posts, read 2,574,988 times
Reputation: 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Cute saying, but worthless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2011, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Washingtonville
2,506 posts, read 1,933,302 times
Reputation: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
All of these rules are ludicrously simplistic.

So some indigent off the street comes in and murders your beloved mother, hacks her into pieces and stores her body parts in his freezer (forgive me for being graphic)....

Based on these rules, you're simply supposed to "free your heart from hatred?"

Good luck on that one.

Real life is a helluva lot more complex and nuanced than these Doris Day rules.
Holding a grudge is letting someone live rent free in your head.

What purpose do things like hate and fear serve? Nothing. We are told that we need to hold grudges and get even all the time. That we need to stand against this and stand against that. In reality, standing against something, pushing it, only feeds it power. Give it no attention and it will fade.

If someone did that, it would be hard to forgive and not have hate in your heart and revenge on the mind. Letting go of hate and fear is the only way to release the pain. Im not saying it is easy to do. It takes time and practice, but it can be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2011, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Washingtonville
2,506 posts, read 1,933,302 times
Reputation: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Cute saying, but worthless.
What is worthless to one is priceless to another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2011, 01:15 PM
 
2,379 posts, read 2,606,605 times
Reputation: 1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Holding a grudge is letting someone live rent free in your head.

What purpose do things like hate and fear serve? Nothing. We are told that we need to hold grudges and get even all the time. That we need to stand against this and stand against that. In reality, standing against something, pushing it, only feeds it power. Give it no attention and it will fade.

If someone did that, it would be hard to forgive and not have hate in your heart and revenge on the mind. Letting go of hate and fear is the only way to release the pain. Im not saying it is easy to do. It takes time and practice, but it can be done.
I agree, mostly.
There are conditions, when we need to take a stand.
But if there's nothing to "stand up to" - all the standing has been done... then, for peace-of-mind's sake - sit down!

I also agree that what is worthless to one is priceless to another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2011, 12:30 PM
 
Location: California
3,897 posts, read 4,756,445 times
Reputation: 3057
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/300622_203004589769941_100001812052387_457261_4834 60737_n.jpg (broken link)


Being mindful and compassionate can help with all five.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top